Dragon Box , Personal Verdict

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Corpsecreate
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Box , Personal Verdict

Post by Corpsecreate » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:57 pm

The stereo track from the season sets are indeed 192k.

As Marc mentioned, the only way to have included the audio track to each episode would be to reduce the bitrate of the video or reduce the bitrate for the other audio tracks. Reducing the bitrate of the video could have been feasible if FUNimation softened the picture a little bit more before encoding (making it more compressible) but that would result in a blurrier/less sharp/less grainy image. These sets are already less sharp than their R2 counterparts, how much softer do you want to go?

Arent you glad the days of DVD limitations are coming to an end?

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:37 pm

A hardcore fan is someone who knows Goku's actual home address. :P

Corpsecreate
Beyond Newbie

Post by Corpsecreate » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:44 pm

If I recall, his address is written on screen during a scene where you can see through the eyes of Dr. Gero...Is that right?

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:53 pm

Corpsecreate wrote:The stereo track from the season sets are indeed 192k.

As Marc mentioned, the only way to have included the audio track to each episode would be to reduce the bitrate of the video or reduce the bitrate for the other audio tracks. Reducing the bitrate of the video could have been feasible if FUNimation softened the picture a little bit more before encoding (making it more compressible) but that would result in a blurrier/less sharp/less grainy image. These sets are already less sharp than their R2 counterparts, how much softer do you want to go?

Arent you glad the days of DVD limitations are coming to an end?
They might have squeezed some more if they'd follow the pattern the R2 Discs did with seemless branching of the intro's.
A big maybe though. I believe that at seven episodes I don't think even that might have worked.

AND YES! I have grown to hate the limitations of DVD. Blu-ray and digital all the way!

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:04 am

Krycek7o2 wrote:They might have squeezed some more if they'd follow the pattern the R2 Discs did with seemless branching of the intro's.
A big maybe though. I believe that at seven episodes I don't think even that might have worked.
As has been mentioned quite a few times already... that wouldn't change anything, as we aren't talking about the size of the disk, but of the data rate the standard requires.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LiamKav » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:46 am

Corpsecreate wrote:Arent you glad the days of DVD limitations are coming to an end?
To be replaced by the limitations of the Blu-Ray format and internet bandwidth!

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:17 am

LiamKav wrote:
Corpsecreate wrote:Arent you glad the days of DVD limitations are coming to an end?
To be replaced by the limitations of the Blu-Ray format and internet bandwidth!
Beat me to it; "Yay, we're Blu-Ray! We can't do anamorphic!"

Ugh, reminds me of a recent IGN article about cut scenes from Dark Knight Rises and one poster "hoping they'd be on the DVD", followed by at least fifteen variations of "You mean Blu-Ray, right?" But then I'm not hating on Blu-Ray, just had to be pointed out that it won't be much better if we ever get to a point where we're dealing with 1080p video on a regular basis.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Corpsecreate
Beyond Newbie

Post by Corpsecreate » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:37 am

3D, 1080p per eye, 60 FPS.

One can dream...

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:47 am

Castor Troy wrote:A hardcore fan is someone who knows Goku's actual home address. :P
Son Goku
2 Mount Paozu
Dragon World

:lol:

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:15 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Son Goku
2 Mount Paozu
Dragon World
More like:
Son Goku
2 Mount Paozu
Eastern Region 439
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:32 pm

Am I the only one that noticed how the house changed in design by the Android Saga and onward?

fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:37 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Am I the only one that noticed how the house changed in design by the Android Saga and onward?
No? His house changed a couple of times, presumably to allow for more space for his growing family and his own return.

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:01 pm

Here's the real explanation for why the Sons' house changed in the Cell arc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFaZoa9C ... age#t=135s
-Joey

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:14 pm

jpdbzrulz4sure wrote:Here's the real explanation for why the Sons' house changed in the Cell arc.

That's good to know because I'm not as familiar with the manga as I am with the anime.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:51 pm

jpdbzrulz4sure wrote:Here's the real explanation for why the Sons' house changed in the Cell arc.

Hehe, I was about to jump in and explain that, but why should I have to do when you show that I already did? :D

Thanks for the plug!

So, yeah, it would be

Son Goku
Eastern Region 439
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:20 pm

Even though Mount Paozu is an anime created term, nothing contradicts the idea that Goku's house isn't still in the same general area after the move. Sure it's a decent distance away on the Daizenshuu map, but from what we see in both the manga and anime, that region is pretty huge. It's pretty likely that that Eastern Region 439 still contains at least part of what was coined as Mount Paozu and that Goku still set up roots there IMO. So I'd say the Paozu part of the address is still plausible, even if not 100% official.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:45 pm

Except that Goku's adult home is by a river and certainly doesn't seem to be in the mountains. Aside from that, since there is no Paozu "region" in the manga, I do find it implausible.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:50 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Except that Goku's adult home is by a river and certainly doesn't seem to be in the mountains. Aside from that, since there is no Paozu "region" in the manga, I do find it implausible.
Except for the fact that the house is surrounded by mountains in the background of pretty much every panel and the training ground in their backyard used by Gohan, Goten and Videl in the Buu arc and Goku, Goten and Pan before the 28th Budokai is nothing but mountains. The house itself is in a clearing by a river, but that doesn't seem so strange given the varied topography of the Paozu region.

Your latter point is only a problem caused by whatever you consider canon to the continuities. So long as different media exclusive elements don't contradict anything, I have no problem including it across all parts of the franchise. So, sure, the Paozu region isn't mentioned in the manga, but just because it isn't mentioned doesn't mean that it doesn't exist in that continuity too, meaning it's still plausible to me.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:33 pm

While Funimation release is great, i really think it miss Faulconer soundtrack on English dub, if it was included, we would truly have perfect release, for hardcore fans of both Japanese and English dub
Last edited by coola on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:38 pm

tl;dr

FUNimation needs to re-release Dragon Box Z in cheaper packages (DVD fat packs) with US replacement music so that everyone gets along and shut the hell up with which music fits the most.

Btw, I'm not forgetting the Ocean version, it's just that it wouldn't be included.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray