Memorable, Character-Defining Speeches

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Meri
The Wife

Memorable, Character-Defining Speeches

Post by Meri » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:36 am

Oh mah gawd, "the Girlfriend" is starting a topic! I was wondering about this a while back based on a thread I think I read on the ANN forums (or maybe I just conjured this up in my own wacky imagination, who knows).

People give DBZ a lot of crap for characters that "grunt, moan, and spend half of the time talking at each other in the middle of a fight." While those points are certainly true to some extent, I think the public as a whole largely ignores the fact that many of these "long speeches" are actually pretty darn heartfelt and have an impact on storylines.

So, I was trying to think of which ones are particulary meaningful or moving. At the moment, I could only really think of two.

Bardock to Freeza at the end of the Bardock TV special. Man, ya gotta feel that one. The man knows he's pretty much boned, but to say what he said to Freeza... oh yeah, that pretty sold me on that character. The fact that the line DOES come true via Goku's actions against Freeza makes it even more delicious. I wouldn't say I feel *bad* for Freeza, but more like "haha, you're screwed, Bardock was right!"

Next up, I'd have to say Vegeta's speech/monologue during the Buu arc when he admits Goku is Number 1. Kinda feel sorry for the sap. :D

Any thoughts?

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:03 pm

I can think of three more that may be considered meaningful:

Majin Vegeta's speech before blowing himself up

Son Goku's speech to Majin Buu about switching to the (as Star Wars calls it) Light Side (it was meaningful to me).

Son Goku's speech to Vegeta about that the universe will be destroyed if they don't fuse

Yea, most of the speeches happen in the Buu Saga (A.K.A. Toriyama pulling crap out his ass) :P
I also go by "veemonjosh".

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:44 pm

I never had any respect for Chiaotzu before he blew him self up on Nappa's back. His speach to Ten was touching.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:48 pm

Roshi's speech to Kami at the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:30 pm

The speech Goku says to Kuririn to stop him killing Vegeta. That is a very touching scene up to where Vegeta finally gets in he's ship. This is very touching for me (the Japanese version), with the music and everything.

Yes, speeches in Dragonball/Z are always meaningful, when I'm watching it in Japanese with subs and I miss a bit of text, I will take it back and see what was said, but in the dub, if something is said and I didn't quite catch it I wouldn't really care less.

Another scene I find touching is Majin Buu's death, it's quite funny because the second Goku gets back he's full power he can put Buu away straight away, but he leaves him there's for a sec while he says how he wants him to return as a good person, but mainly I like the way Goku's facial expression changes from when he was about to lose to how it is when he knows he can win, it's Goku's knowledge of he's certainty of victory that makes it amusing, kind of like, he's holding Buu's helpless life in he's hands, he can kill him with ease, it's just a matter of when. The music plays an important role there too.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

Nami

Post by Nami » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:37 pm

I know no one may expect this, but in the Cell Games saga in the episode where Cell pukes out 18, before Cell flys into the air to launch his ultimate Kamehameha, the Narrator spoke a rare in-episode line branching away from the recaps and 30 seconds before an episode ends. I think it went something like: "And so at that moment, Cell had regretted infuriating Gohan ". The dub of course ruined that awesome line with some pointless jabbering of Gohan.
I will like you if you will like me.
Namekian Translation: Calinsian chuku devial roukial lousel.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:03 pm

I'd say a big defining speech in the trilogy's history would have to be http://s50.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0E4O ... A7LLZ4KO1V :P

In all seriousness, I'd say a true defining speech was when Raditz told Goku of his true origions of course, that one chain of events propelled the alien born Kakarrot and Earthling raised Goku to become the strongest warrior in the universe.
14 years later

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:10 pm

I know some people are going to hate me for this, but I actually shed a tear (it was only one, but it counts) during Piccolo's speeches in GT to Son Gokuu and Son Gohan before he sacrifices himself.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:07 pm

There's a few that I like. Kamesennin's speech to Kami at the 23rd Budoukai, as well as his speeches to Tenshinhan at the 22nd -- while he's mostly comedy relief (especially in the anime), when he's serious, it just really feels that he truly is a wise and powerful master, and not just a silly pervert.

Vegeta's #1 speech is also pretty cool, as is his Majin speech. I like the latter because it's also sort of a self-reflection, and not just the usual "GRR MUST SURPASS YOU". And some cool points to Gokuu's speech after his initial SSJ transformation.

While they're not really the same type, for some reason, I also enjoy those lengthy plot point speeches, like when Cell introduces himself to Piccolo, or when Kamesennin explains the origins of Piccolo Daimaou.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:23 pm

To me, the best speech was Kame-sennin's after they resurrected Bora. That was pure gold.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Entropy

Post by Entropy » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:31 pm

Kamesennin's speach about Krillin at the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai.
Right after Krillin had been beaten by Piccolo.

I liked the manner in which it was timed.
The fight with Piccolo had shown that Krillin was moving into the superhuman realm of power and as such was now beyond Kamesennin.

A touching summary of Krillin's progress from his mentor, now that he could no longer be his student.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:11 pm

I really like the speech Majin Vegeta gives Goku when he's 'nailed' to the mountain. I really revealed a lot of Vegeta's hidden feelings.

And of course, FUNi's "I am the hope of the universe" speech... just kidding! ;p

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:46 pm

Super Saiyan Goku's speech to Frieza. (Dammit, I liked the FUNi version. And the Budokai 1 version. And the Viz version. Freeza Saga SSj Goku kicks ass.)

Also, Majin Vegeta's speeches to Goku and to himself before he self-destructed. And Vegeta's during the Goku vs Kid Buu fight.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:54 pm

I just thought of another really defining speech, I don't know if this was the same in the Japanese version, but I remember in the FUNi dub of original Dragonball after Goku picked Upa up at Baba's place to go resurrect Bora, Baba said something that truly forshadowed Goku's legacy through-out the rest of the Dragonball Trilogy down to the end of GT itself:

{Baba:} He is truly an amazing boy and the entire world will know his name one day.

{Roshi:} What do you know Baba?

{Baba:} Just a feeling, I sense he will be a great hero of his time.

This prophecy holds true to the end of DBGT as everyone on Earth knows Goku as the hero whom saved the planet and universe from Piccolo Daimao, the Saiyan invasion, and of course the Dark Dragons. Hell, he even had a statue built in his honor.
14 years later

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:35 am

In the manga, Baba said that Son Goku would eventually save the world, with Goku taking a piss nearby. So I guess that part is just FUNi taking a little creative liberty. Baba was somewhat off already, cause I'm pretty sure preventing malicious, greedy militants from using the dragon balls already counts as saving the world. Well, it's different than preventing an evil demon from destroying the world, but still saving nonetheless.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:04 am

*PINHEAD* wrote:In the manga, Baba said that Son Goku would eventually save the world, with Goku taking a piss nearby. So I guess that part is just FUNi taking a little creative liberty. Baba was somewhat off already, cause I'm pretty sure preventing malicious, greedy militants from using the dragon balls already counts as saving the world. Well, it's different than preventing an evil demon from destroying the world, but still saving nonetheless.
Well with Red's intended wish, it's not so much as saving the world, in a way. But like you said, stopping the Great Demon King Piccolo is more impressive.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:32 am

Rocketman wrote:And Vegeta's during the Goku vs Kid Buu fight.

Yeah, Vegeta finally admits Goku's superiority. I find it interesting that he only thinks it and dosen't say it out loud. Like he's comfortable with admiting it to himself but dosen't want anyone to know he's conceded to his rival, even though there's no one else around to listen (Goku was fighting and Mr.Satan wasen't close enough).

Gamingdevil
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gamingdevil » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:25 am

Vegeta's speech when he's dying in the Frieza Saga (can't think of anything else of the tip of my mind as I still haven't seen past the Cell Saga en before the Saiyan Saga :()
Who said life isn't a game?

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:15 am

Gamingdevil wrote:Vegeta's speech when he's dying in the Freeza Saga (can't think of anything else of the tip of my mind as I still haven't seen past the Cell Saga en before the Saiyan Saga :()
You are lucky to not have seen the Cell or better yet the Saiya-Jin saga, there's still loads of awesome episodes you have yet to see, good for you.

But on topic, I do think Vegeta's speech in the Buu saga is good, but it ain't all that, Vegeta should've admitted this time ago. Guess it's better seeing as it's near the end of the Buu saga.

I have to agree with Nami on that Cell saga part where the Narrator speaks in the episode, that part is a well decided, er...decision to make the Narrator speak during the episode, it gives the viewer an impression of true fear witnessed by Cell, it's words that neither he thought of of spoke, and everthing the narrator says is true(he watches over all :shock: ) and, well you get the impression. As well as the look on Cell's face.

The narrator also speaks in-episode when Gohan is being trained by Old Kai and after he catches him sleeping and has a go at him, the camera does a short zoom on Gohan's face as the narrator says 'Gohan began to think this wasn't going to work' or something like that.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:30 am

You guys are missing one of the most important speeches in the whole series. The speech that Android 16 makes to Gohan before Cell finishes him. It leads into that song about how Gohan had always let people down in the past and how he wasn't going to let anyone else down, ending in his transformation to Super Saiyan 2.