Nice Moments that Funimation Missed

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Nice Moments that Funimation Missed

Post by LordCrumb » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:19 pm

I was wondering, for those English fans, what moments do you think Funimation should have followed the Japanese version correctly? I'm not talking about if people say "how about the whole show", just individual moments..

For me, one moment was during the Majin Buu saga. Goku had just demonstrated his SS3 transformation to Babidi and Buu and was at Korins tower, Trunks and Goten were talking to him about how strong he was and that he could possibly defeat Majin Buu.. Trunks looks up to him and says he is stronger than his father, to which Goku replies "no, not your Dad". Funimation totally missed that small bit of natural kindness and reassurance to Trunks, and it's one of the moments I wish they had done accurately, rather than just some random chatter..

Would be cool to hear your scenes that you think Funimation should have dubbed accurately.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Re: Nice Moments that Funimation Missed

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:16 pm

Here's a famous example:

Gohan goes SSJ2

The imagery that was carried out already spoke for itself. The bird symbolized Gohan's inner peace, and the darting across the background was that inner peace being destroyed, even the song (Day of Destiny ~Spirit vs. Spirit~) was about Gohan not wanting to accept his destiny but the push (and death) of a like-minded ally leading him to accepting it. The dub ruined it with the whole redundant monologue, giving the effect of Gohan logically think when he wasn't, he had a mental breakdown.

..Here's another one:

Goku's "I Am" Speech:

Obvious reasons. It has Goku making a philosophical speech about how he's the "light in the darkness" or "I am truth" which is dumb because Goku is a country bumpkin so he doesn't know of philosophy (the dub even keeps consistent with his lack of sophistication), and also it's weird to hear a rage-filled Super Saiyan make a Jesus speech. While he was fighting for what was right in the original, it was for something more down to earth (for the honor of his near-extinct race... and Kuririn).

And the last time:

Goku breaking the news about Gohan (presumed) and Vegeta's deaths:

First of all, I hated the OST that played during the whole scene. Second, the voice-work they did with Bulma in this scene is really bad especially when she did that ham-filled "NOOOOO...". Third, Goku's delayed shock from seeing his wife faint. Lastly, they shouldn't have broached the matter on Videl's feelings for Gohan when they had her say "I loved him".

There's more but I don't feel interested enough to elaborate.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:55 pm

Just going off memory, the part where Tenshinhan and Yamcha comment on Goku "packing on some pounds" or whatever was frighteningly bad. What were they thinking? :?
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

sonikku956
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sonikku956 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:57 pm

Krillin's first two deaths. Also, Goku finding out who Trunks is.

"BULMA'S YOUR MOTHER?" Yeah, if Kai was anything to go by, he figured it out somewhat quickly.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:13 pm

Gohan's SSJ2 Transformation.

This tops the list for me. Somebody (I don't know who, so I'm not going to point fingers) ROYALLY screwed up there. While Nadolny's scream was convincingly rage-filled, the impact was destroyed by that overly explanatory (and previously non-existent) inner-monologue. The most important thing I learned about writing in a screenwriting class I took is that a writer's job is to create subtext. The more you can say something without saying any words, the better. Like the previous poster said, we didn't need to hear Gohan thinking, "...16...you loved life...and you were just an android...I let you die...I WON'T WATCH THIS ANYMORE!" We don't need that. We get it!

This is the same kind of problem that Ridley Scott had with Harrison Ford's voice-over in the early cuts of "Blade Runner." The impact of many emotional scenes were ruined because the script Ford was given essentially just spelled out what the audience was supposed to be feeling, rather than letting them feel it for themselves. Ironically, as a result, they didn't feel anything. Other than annoyance.

The fact that the replacement soundtrack wasn't nearly as good didn't help either.

I can think of many other scenes, but that one takes the cake.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:55 am

Kuwabara wrote:Just going off memory, the part where Tenshinhan and Yamcha comment on Goku "packing on some pounds" or whatever was frighteningly bad. What were they thinking? :?
What was said in the Japanese version? Would be good if you could add that in too.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:30 am

Vegeta’s first death scene, wherein FUNimation had Vegeta blame Freeza for his evil behaviour.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:13 am

LordCrumb wrote:
Kuwabara wrote:Just going off memory, the part where Tenshinhan and Yamcha comment on Goku "packing on some pounds" or whatever was frighteningly bad. What were they thinking? :?
What was said in the Japanese version? Would be good if you could add that in too.
Actually, this is one that used to annoy me too, as this was back when I would get a DVD, watch both versions, and compare dialogue. It's actually Yamucha and Kuririn during the Cell arc, when they're moving the ill Goku into the aircraft to transport him to Kame House. As they're carrying him, dub Yamucha says, "Boy, Goku's sure put on a few pounds," to which dub Kuririn angrily replies, "Cut him some slack! He's been through a lot." It was stupid, not funny, not anything someone would have said in that situation, and had nothing to do with what was going on.

The original line wasn't great or particularly inspired, but it wasn't so cringe-inducing and out of place either. Yamucha, who has just been informed of the situation, says something to the effect of, "We're in really deep trouble now, aren't we?" to which Kuririn solemnly replies, "Yeah, it's worse than we had imagined." It really was a nice, somber moment between these two friends.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:20 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:Actually, this is one that used to annoy me too, as this was back when I would get a DVD, watch both versions, and compare dialogue. It's actually Yamucha and Kuririn during the Cell arc, when they're moving the ill Goku into the aircraft to transport him to Kame House. As they're carrying him, dub Yamucha says, "Boy, Goku's sure put on a few pounds," to which dub Kuririn angrily replies, "Cut him some slack! He's been through a lot." It was stupid, not funny, not anything someone would have said in that situation, and had nothing to do with what was going on.

The original line wasn't great or particularly inspired, but it wasn't so cringe-inducing and out of place either. Yamucha, who has just been informed of the situation, says something to the effect of, "We're in really deep trouble now, aren't we?" to which Kuririn solemnly replies, "Yeah, it's worse than we had imagined." It really was a nice, somber moment between these two friends.
Thanks, yeah that sounds like a better moment in the Japanese version. Funimation tends to give Yamucha extra weird lines quite often I think.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:06 am

Piccolo Daimao wrote:Vegeta’s first death scene, wherein FUNimation had Vegeta blame Freeza for his evil behaviour.
It made Vegeta look two-faced.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:36 am

There was this one really cool scene in the early Cell arc. It takes place on the airplane that Piccolo and company are using to chase Cell around. Goku's just recovered from being sick and he's come to fetch Gohan for their training in the Room of Spirit and Time. As he's about to zip away to where Vegeta and Trunks are, Kuririn stops him and asks him, paraphrased:

Kuririn: "Hey, Goku. We're going up against enemies way stronger than Freeza here. Does that make you scared... or excited?"
Goku: "...Both." *Teleports*

It was not only a nice little Goku character moment, but it also helped establish a feeling of "there's some hope after all" in a period of the story where the heroes kept getting trounced (by the Androids) or outsmarted (by Cell) at every turn.

FUNimation's script replaced it with Kuririn saying some sort of generic "you can do it, Goku! Give him a good fight!" line and Goku responding with, "You bet!" or something like that.

Come to think of it, I haven't seen this scene in the new dub for Kai yet. Should really get around to collecting seasons three and four in some way...
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:55 am

Kaboom wrote: Come to think of it, I haven't seen this scene in the new dub for Kai yet. Should really get around to collecting seasons three and four in some way...
The line is pretty much the same as the JPN version.

Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Aoi » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:47 am

In Japanese, I always loved the funny moment where Tien tells Yamucha to come a bit closer. This occurs on Kami's lookout when Yamucha is screaming at 18 that Gohan can now beat her without any trouble. The delivery in Japanese was so good. In English, not so much. Possibly because Tien's voice is much less commanding in English so it kills the effect a bit.

Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Aoi » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:47 am

In Japanese, I always loved the funny moment where Tien tells Yamucha to come a bit closer. This occurs on Kami's lookout when Yamucha is screaming at 18 that Gohan can now beat her without any trouble. The delivery in Japanese was so good. In English, not so much. Possibly because Tien's voice is much less commanding in English so it kills the effect a bit.

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:11 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:Vegeta’s first death scene, wherein FUNimation had Vegeta blame Freeza for his evil behaviour.
It made Vegeta a sympathetic character.

On topic, the scene of the flashbacks of Buu before being destroyed by the Genki Dama. FUNimation originally had no dialogue at all, just unfitting music playing. In the remastered sets they had Goku do a speech over the flashback. Which totally ruined it. So originally FUNi did ok with the scene, then ruined that nice moment later.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:43 pm

Codarik wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:
It made Vegeta a sympathetic character.
It completely contradicted Vegeta's character and origins. Saiyans were inherently evil bastards, and then Vegeta suddenly exclaiming that Freeza made him that way essentially created a plot-hole in the dub, especially when a few episodes later he says he doesn't care that his home planet was destroyed and all of that, and simply wants to kill Freeza just because "he was meant to rule the universe" in the dub.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:01 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:essentially created a plot-hole in the dub, especially when a few episodes later he says he doesn't care that his home planet was destroyed and all of that, and simply wants to kill Freeza just because "he was meant to rule the universe" in the dub.
Eh, that scene created a plot hole in the original too. It's horrendously poorly written filler that makes no sense and completely contradicts his character.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

sonikku956
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sonikku956 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:20 pm

LordCrumb wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:Actually, this is one that used to annoy me too, as this was back when I would get a DVD, watch both versions, and compare dialogue. It's actually Yamucha and Kuririn during the Cell arc, when they're moving the ill Goku into the aircraft to transport him to Kame House. As they're carrying him, dub Yamucha says, "Boy, Goku's sure put on a few pounds," to which dub Kuririn angrily replies, "Cut him some slack! He's been through a lot." It was stupid, not funny, not anything someone would have said in that situation, and had nothing to do with what was going on.

Thanks, yeah that sounds like a better moment in the Japanese version. Funimation tends to give Yamucha extra weird lines quite often I think.
Didn't you know? Funi hates Yamcha

sonikku956
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sonikku956 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:38 pm

Also, the one where Chichi finds out that Bulma was worried about Goku and she teases her about it. Then she says that she is prettier than Bulma and Yamcha comments on her beauty, while getting shouted at Chichi for implying that she doesn't always look pretty.

Funi turned this into a Husband swapping joke, with some added Yamcha-bashing. "I wanted a upgrade, not a downgrade!" Jeez, at least he'd be around XD

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:17 pm

sonikku956 wrote:Also, the one where Chichi finds out that Bulma was worried about Goku and she teases her about it. Then she says that she is prettier than Bulma and Yamcha comments on her beauty, while getting shouted at Chichi for implying that she doesn't always look pretty.

Funi turned this into a Husband swapping joke, with some added Yamcha-bashing. "I wanted a upgrade, not a downgrade!" Jeez, at least he'd be around XD
Hey, I wonder how 'Becky Hafford' is doing.
fadeddreams5 wrote: