Yamcha's Scar question.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

samuraix123
I Live Here

Yamcha's Scar question.

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:35 pm

Hello!
How did Yamcha get those scars on his face? I never watched the original Dragonball much and was just curious because here we see the scars
But in this one they're not there

And yes I've got plans on watching the original Dragonball, but I'm just waiting for those Dragon-boxes. :)
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Re: Yamcha's Scar question.

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:39 pm

He fought with a wolf, and as usual Yamcha lost. :lol:
Seriously now, it was never explained. He got them during the three years between Piccolo Daimao arc & 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai, when he was training alone on the world.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:42 pm

He just appear with them from one chapter to another during 3 years time-skip.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:48 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:He fought with a wolf, and as usual Yamcha lost. :lol:
Seriously now, it was never explained. He got them during the three years between Piccolo Daimao arc & 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai, when he was training alone on the world.
When I read ''He fought with a wolf'' I was thinking
Image? Haha then I seen you was just joking haha it would be interesting to see Toei making another Dragonball movie like The Path to Power and show Yamcha fighting someone that gave them to him. but I guess it's just best to use your imagination :P
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:59 pm

Yamcha and Pu'ar got into a fight. Of course, the former lost.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:04 pm

I like to think he got them training with swords with Yajirobe, hence, we never see Yamcha with weapons again from the 23rd tournament onward.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

shonenhikada
Banned

Post by shonenhikada » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:02 pm

He got his scars from his battle with cybor tao during the gap between the 22nd and 23rd budokai.

Yamucha-chan

Post by Yamucha-chan » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:06 pm

This was never really explained in the series, as far as I recall.

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:56 pm

I never occurred to me until now, but Yamucha's scars appear after the three year time skip leading to the 23rd Budokai. I never realized that he is introduced with no scars, and then gets them during his training for the 23rd. I haven't read or watched early Dragon Ball all the way through in quite while, at least 2 years, but damn...I'm kinda surprised I never caught this... :oops:

Must've been out training somewhere, and someone or something fucked his face up.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:03 pm

dprez wrote:Must've been out training somewhere, and someone or something fucked his face up.
I think it fits with his luck that he fucked up his own face while trying to master the Sokidan. xD
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:55 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
dprez wrote:Must've been out training somewhere, and someone or something fucked his face up.
I think it fits with his luck that he fucked up his own face while trying to master the Sokidan. xD
That's my new headcanon.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:01 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
That's officially canon.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

mysticboy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mysticboy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:49 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Yes!

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:06 pm

I know how he got these.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:14 pm

He fell down some stairs.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:17 pm

shonenhikada wrote:He got his scars from his battle with cybor tao during the gap between the 22nd and 23rd budokai.
So, is Cyborg Tao Pai Pai the source of all scars in the Dragon Ball universe? Were future Gohan's scars caused by Cyborg Tao Pai Pai off-screen as opposed to the Androids? :lol:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Mike
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mike » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:12 am

There's always this fan manga version of how he got his scars: (DragonBall Elsewhere)

It was a really good series actually, too bad the author never finished.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:38 am

I like to think it was cause he was fighting wolves too.. I mean where did he come up with Wolf Fang Fist? Or maybe he hit himself with the sokidan while still trying to learn it. But what I really think is he got it in bed with Bulma. 8)

Z-Dragon
Beyond Newbie

Post by Z-Dragon » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:59 am

I'd say he got those scars from his own Sokidan that he was trying to control in training. He probably embarrassed himself for failing to master his Sokidan when it hitting his own face, so he's keeping his awkward secret from his friends. :P

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by G1Ravage » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:20 am

He cut himself shaving after a naked woman walked past his window.