Favorite old rumor

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior

Favorite old rumor

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:38 pm

I search to see if this thread has been done before or not but I couldn't find anything. So what is your favorite old Dragon Ball related rumor that you remember hearing about? I remember when I was in the 4th and 5th grade that people talked about these crazy stuff going on in Dragon Ball GT. Such as:

- Cell and Freeza end up becoming a good guy

- Broli escapes from Hell

- GT was darker and more mature then DBZ. That GT was going to have sex scenes and mindless cursing like "Fuck you".

- GT Trunks is really Mirai Trunks

- Gohan also has a son as well named "Goshin" (I think that was his name)
PS4 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Hellspawn28
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GS27/

shonenhikada
Banned

Re: Favorite old rumor

Post by shonenhikada » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:02 pm

-DB Hoshi was real show that continue goku journey

-Akira Toriyama died in the earthquake that hit Japan last year

- Future Trunks would be in the upcoming Dragon Ball movie

- Akira Toriyama said the anime was cannon

- Akira Toriyama said people in dragon ball were just light speed.

- Yo Son Goku was a movie for an upcoming dragon ball series.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:07 pm

Beyond possibly your "cannon" example (by the way -- a "cannon" is something you shoot destructive ammunition out of; a "canon" is an accepted collection of works), none of those are particularly "old", shonenhikada, which is what the thread's author was discussing.

I've mentioned it a lot, but my favorite old one that I was thoroughly convinced of for a few months as I wide-eyed tossed myself into fandom was that Broli resurrected Nappa & Raditz to fight for him in one of the later DBZ movies.

'Cuz that would happen, of course.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:16 pm

I remember the old casting rumors of Ray Park as Vegeta and Hugh Jackman as Goku. Other old rumors were Bill Goldberg as Nappa and Jessica Alba as Bulma. I still think Goldberg would make a awesome Nappa.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:49 pm

When I was in school, I used to hear that Frieza would become a good guy too lol

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:21 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I remember the old casting rumors of Ray Park as Vegeta and Hugh Jackman as Goku. Other old rumors were Bill Goldberg as Nappa and Jessica Alba as Bulma. I still think Goldberg would make a awesome Nappa.
Some of those are actually true, FOX acquired the rights to DB back in like 2002 and several actors were considered for the roles.
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:50 pm

Avenged wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:I remember the old casting rumors of Ray Park as Vegeta and Hugh Jackman as Goku. Other old rumors were Bill Goldberg as Nappa and Jessica Alba as Bulma. I still think Goldberg would make a awesome Nappa.
Some of those are actually true, FOX acquired the rights to DB back in like 2002 and several actors were considered for the roles.
Yea, I remember reading about this in Beckett back in 2002.

Can't really think of any that I would consider my favorite, but I guess one would be Dragon Ball AF and super saiyan 5 Goku. This actually looked legit back when I was like 10 or 11. I remember my older step brother telling me it was just a rumor and fan made stuff.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:22 pm

-In Final Bout, bizarre method of unlocking few characters, like Uub, or Gotenks (Finish game 10 times as Goku, then 15 times as Vegeta etc.)
-Before i watched episode, where Trunks returned to his timeline, i`ve played Super Butoden 2, and, i thought, that Trunks will end in some sort of future, with Bojack gang
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

DBZAOTA482
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:09 pm

-Budokai 1 having SSJ3 Goku. Tried to achieve it. It didn't work.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31207&p=969551#p969545

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:43 pm

I was one of those suckers who fell for the "upcoming" AF manga in 4th grade.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

SSJ3_Gogeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SSJ3_Gogeta » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:59 pm

I saw a rumor that Mystic Gohan was in Budokai 1 (think I saw it on GameFAQS). Don't remember if I believed it or not.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REG

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:20 pm

When I had just gotten into the series several years ago, I believed all the AF stuff. :lol:
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:24 pm

I believed AF for a while a loooong time ago.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

mysticboy
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by mysticboy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:32 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:-Budokai 1 having SSJ3 Goku. Tried to achieve it. It didn't work.
Came here just to post this one. Jesus, think about the ki consumption :o .

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:37 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:-Budokai 1 having SSJ3 Goku. Tried to achieve it. It didn't work.
I'll go one higher and say SS4 Goku was what I was led to believe. Another Budokai 1 rumour was one about a "half-Super Saiyan" Goku glitch where his hair would go blonde but wouldn't stand up. Couldn't make that work either. :lol:

There was even another half-Super Saiyan rumour I remember! When I was in second grade and Dragon Ball had just started airing, we were in the Saiyan arc yet already sort-of knew about Super Saiyans because of information from magazines and the internet, but a lot of the rumours going around school were false. There was an image of Super Saiyan Gohan in the Saiyan Armour, and because his hair wasn't as spiky as Super Saiyan Goku, combined with the fact that he is a hybrid, led to the rumour of him being a "half-Super Saiyan" where only one side of the hair spikes up. Weird and rather pointless distinction.

But my favourite rumour is that the Boo saga would take place when Gohan was 26, and that he was so powerful that he had attained a permanent state of Super Saiyan and fathered Goten, who was born as a Super Saiyan. It's so... silly, and yet I totally believed it.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:02 pm

Avenged wrote:
I do remember when Fox got the rights to DB back in 2002 but I don't the actors like Hugh Jackman were official. I'm pretty sure they were just rumors. I also remember when Roland Emmerich was rumor to direct the DB live action movie and IGN even reported the rumor as well back in 2003.

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:41 pm

I actually covered quite a bit of the info we obtained from 2002 here http://www.dblegends.com/topics/live-ac ... ssic-news/

Yeah I don't think they were ever offered any roles, but I am fairly certain they were at least mentioned. Of course no one got offered a role, they'd need a director and a casting director before any of that. Reminds me, I also read Brendan Fraiser was in talks for the role as Goku as well, and Tom Welling was another popular choice.
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:18 pm

I have a total soft spot for all the "AF" fanon that has stuck around over the years (Super Saiyan 5, "Xicor," etc.), despite how ridiculous it is.

Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:39 pm

I remember the rumors of Tom Welling as Goku as well and I would take him over Justin Chatwin as Goku. I'm glad that Roland Emmerich was never apart of a DB movie since his movies are on the same level of Micheal Bay. After 10,000 BC and 2012, I refuse to see anything from him ever again.

Anyone else remember the two rumored secret characters in Budokai 3? I remember they were Oeanic Shenron and Dr. Zoidberg. People were asking on how to unlock these characters on sites like Gamefaqs and IGN :lol: .

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:49 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Dr. Zoidberg. .
What!? Was that a serious rumor!?
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.