Toei's Suspense Killing

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Toei's Suspense Killing

Post by Son_Gohan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:47 am

While rewatching the anime in its original Japanese format, I came to realize how spoiling the experience could be for someone who has never seen the series before. The next episode previews and the names of the episodes themselves are so revealing that it can take a lot of the dramatic tension away from the situation. I couldn't imagine how things are in Japan, especially when it was originally airing. Did they just assume that everyone was following the manga at the time, and already knew what was going to happen?

But even when looking at the movie titles, for example, Movie 13 "Dragon Fist Explosion!! If Goku Won’t Do it, Who Will?", the whole outcome of the film is literally given away. It doesn't seem they care to keeping things suspenseful; would this sort of thing be commonplace in Japan? Going back to the next episode previews of the anime, I know in the Dragon Box they're placed after the ending credits where there's ample time to skip it if the viewer wanted to. But I'd also like to know if in its original airing, was it arranged the same way or did the NEPs come before the ending theme?

EDIT- Just noticed I posted this in the wrong section, could a moderator kindly move it to the appropriate area?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Toei's Suspense Killing

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:52 am

It seems to have been expected that everyone already knew what was going to happen, yeah. It's difficult for a lot of us foreign fans to remember/know just how damn popular the franchise was during its original run in Japan.

Part of it is just the Japanese "style", too. Take the movies for example -- you'll see tons of previews and trailers that show tons of key plot and action moments well in advance of folks actually seeing the movie. If the title doesn't give it away, that four-minute trailer sure will!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:54 am

Son_Gohan wrote:Going back to the next episode previews of the anime, I know in the Dragon Box they're placed after the ending credits where there's ample time to skip it if the viewer wanted to. But I'd also like to know if in its original airing, was it arranged the same way or did the NEPs come before the ending theme?
In its original airing the next episode preview came before the ending.

Source: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/features/my-d ... t-perfect/ Found under "Proper Episode Presentation."

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:19 pm

Son_Gohan wrote:But I'd also like to know if in its original airing, was it arranged the same way or did the NEPs come before the ending theme?
The latter. As for episode titles, it is said that Toei wanted them to be appealing so that the show gets more attention in TV schedule in newspaper.

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:08 pm

I remember asking a question similar to this in a Daizenshuu podcast a long time ago. Something like Goku transforming into a Super Saiya-jin 3 for the first time was spoiled right in the episode title. So in Japan, I'd imagine people's reaction to him transforming would have been more like, "Oh, he's doing it!" instead of, "Holy crap! What's he doing?! Is he transforming again?!"
My Dragon Ball AMV's:
Pain into Power - Gohan Tribute - Best Character Profile at AnimeNext
The Dragon Ball Life - Original DB only AMV - Coordinators Choice at Anime Conji
When I See You Again [NEW!!!] - Goku & Krillin AMV - Best Drama at Otakon

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:19 pm

That reminds me of FUNimations title "Goku's Alive!". Totally killed any suspense for me. But seeing the Japanese titles, they did it quite often..or even in the next episode previews.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:48 pm

I'm currently watching DBZ with my girlfriend who new to the series and I have to carefully skip every title card in order not to spoil the impactful moments of the series.
Check out these gems from the Saiyan Saga:

Yamucha Dies! The Terror of the Saibaimen"
"Farewell Ten-san! Chaozu's Suicide Strategy"
"Tenshinhan Cries Out!! This is My Final Kikoho"

Three of the most important events in the biggest fight the series has seen thus far and they're all pretty much spoiled from the get-go. I prefer the Japanese version but the titles are a LOT better in the dub.
Jord doesn't have a avatar because the combination of Jord and a equally cool avatar would cause the universe to implode.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:12 pm

Son_Gohan wrote:Did they just assume that everyone was following the manga at the time, and already knew what was going to happen?
Yeah, pretty much.
But even when looking at the movie titles, for example, Movie 13 "Dragon Fist Explosion!! If Goku Won’t Do it, Who Will?", the whole outcome of the film is literally given away.
Interestingly, in that case they actually made the title first, then made up the plot later. According to...ugh, either Daizenshuu 10 or GT Perfect Files, they basically did this with all the movies, but Movie 13 is the specific example they give. So they essentially tried to come up with a catchy title that would bring people in, then worried about the plot...which really, really shows in Movie 13's case, where the climax with the Dragon Fist has nothing to do with the rest of the movie.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:06 pm

Yup, that's the biggest reason I never watch NEPs. Not just for DBZ, but for any TV show. I like to learn the show's plot as it's happening, not ahead of time. For that reason, the absence of NEPs on any home release has never bothered me.

The episode titles kind of give it way, though. I cracked the code of the titles. For the Japanese episode titles, all one has to do is think of a 3-4 word phrase that describes the general mood, then add an exclamation mark, then think of a full sentence that flat-out says what's going to happen and follow it up with two exclamation marks. Here's my go at it:

"An Eerie Excitement! Goku Becomes A Super-Saiyan And Begins Fighting Freeza Which Shocks And Frightens Him Because He Didn't Think The Prophecy Was True Even Though He Was A Tad Afraid Of It And Destroyed Planet Vegeta As A Result!!"
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:03 pm

It also falls under irony considering how so little actually happens in some episodes.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Shinsa
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinsa » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:00 pm

Edit: Oh wow i suck on an iphone! So many errors...time to fix

This maybe a stupid question and alittle off topic however related.

Do all the episodes on the dragonbox have the next episode previews? I've been watching the buu story arch and I've noticed most of the eps don't have NEP. Were they not included or is something wrong? Mind you I don't really care for them it's just a curiosity of mine I've had for awhile.
Last edited by Shinsa on Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:05 pm

Funimation does the same thing. "End of Earth", "Frieza Defeated"....etc
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:16 pm

Shinsa wrote:They maybe a stupid question ad alittle off topic however related. Does all the episodes on the dragonbox have the next episode previews? I've been watching the buu story arch and I've noticed most of the eps don't have NEP. Where thy not included or is something wrong? Mind you I don't really care for them it's just a curiosity of mine I've had for awhile.
There are no next episode previews for the English dub -- if you're watching it in English, there's nothing to show, so it just keeps on goin'. Therefore, I can only assume you're watching in English :).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:29 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Shinsa wrote:They maybe a stupid question ad alittle off topic however related. Does all the episodes on the dragonbox have the next episode previews? I've been watching the buu story arch and I've noticed most of the eps don't have NEP. Where thy not included or is something wrong? Mind you I don't really care for them it's just a curiosity of mine I've had for awhile.
There are no next episode previews for the English dub -- if you're watching it in English, there's nothing to show, so it just keeps on goin'. Therefore, I can only assume you're watching in English :).
Doesn't it just play the previews in Japanese...? It's not like flipping the audio track will alter the footage on the DVDs and exclude the previews.

EDIT: Huh. Looks like if you select English audio from the Setup menu, it'll skip the previews, but if you start in Japanese and switch the audio while watching, it'll play the Japanese NEPs. The more you know!
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Shinsa
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinsa » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:38 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Yes sir I'm watching it in english!! haha

ok cool! thanks for the info, It's nice to know that they are there.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:01 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:EDIT: Huh. Looks like if you select English audio from the Setup menu, it'll skip the previews, but if you start in Japanese and switch the audio while watching, it'll play the Japanese NEPs. The more you know!
Yeah some anime DVD's are like that, Studio Ghibli DVD's actually do something similar, if you select an audio track from the setup menu on a ghibli DVD the movie's titles/credits will be in the selected language when watched (for example if I set the audio to japanese from the setup menu all title's and credits in the movie will be in japanese even if I change the audio to another language while the movie is playing, but if select english audio from the setup menu and start the movie from the begining the title's and credits will be in english).
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:45 pm

For the record, it is possible to trick the Dragon Box discs into displaying the Japanese NEPs alongside the English dub with computer software like VLC if you select the Japanese track from the DVD and then change to the English track via the software. At least I recall being able to do it.

But yes, I can't imagine taking a newbie through the series with the Dragon Boxes. Best reaction I can think of would be "Wait, this happens?! Mush watch!"
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:06 am

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:But yes, I can't imagine taking a newbie through the series with the Dragon Boxes. Best reaction I can think of would be "Wait, this happens?! Mush watch!"
I've been doing it. I'm at the 25th Tenkaichi Budokai with my fiancee now.

I've been playing and skipping some next-episode previews, pretty much randomly, but occassionally taking pains to skip previews or titles if something major is about to happen.

Honestly though, I think we overestimate the value of the "suspense" to begin with. Occasionally it makes a real difference, like watching the heroes train for a year only to be quickly slaughtered by the Saiyans. But mostly, Dragon Ball runs either utterly predictable and so completely unpredictable it hardly matters. At the end of the day, these are plot "twists" that elicit a reaction for maybe a couple seconds before you just chalk it up as par for the incredibly silly course. She's had a few things spoiled; it's no big deal. The fun is in watching it happen.

Or, quoth Kurt Vonnegut: "To hell with suspense."

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:20 am

Herms wrote:
Son_Gohan wrote:Did they just assume that everyone was following the manga at the time, and already knew what was going to happen?
Yeah, pretty much.
But even when looking at the movie titles, for example, Movie 13 "Dragon Fist Explosion!! If Goku Won’t Do it, Who Will?", the whole outcome of the film is literally given away.
Interestingly, in that case they actually made the title first, then made up the plot later. According to...ugh, either Daizenshuu 10 or GT Perfect Files, they basically did this with all the movies, but Movie 13 is the specific example they give. So they essentially tried to come up with a catchy title that would bring people in, then worried about the plot...which really, really shows in Movie 13's case, where the climax with the Dragon Fist has nothing to do with the rest of the movie.

They seriously came up with the titles first and the plot later? O_O
That sounds humorously reckless of them and at the same time really challenging. It also explains why some of the movie titles are so vague.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:10 am

Cipher wrote: Honestly though, I think we overestimate the value of the "suspense" to begin with... The fun is in watching it happen.
Tis true.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada