Amazon Dragon Ball Season set quality comparison question

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Amazon Dragon Ball Season set quality comparison question

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:14 pm

Is the original quality FUNimations 2nd (re-dub saga of goku) or the dragon box?

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Amazon Dragon Ball Season set quality comparison questio

Post by dragondyle » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:55 pm

I'm not sure, it looks like they just put a blue filter over the "old" footage. But then again, the "new" footage is zoomed in, just like the action seasons. They kinda screwed themselves over with that.
You must have faith in who you are.

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:12 am

dragondyle wrote:But then again, the "new" footage is zoomed in, just like the action seasons. They kinda screwed themselves over with that.
How so? Yeah, it's zoomed in a bit but it's not like it significantly alters the picture and certainly not in any way like the Z sets cropped it into a fake widescreen.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:19 am

It's probably not even a correct screenshot. If I knew the timecode/episode for it, I would take a shot of the Aussie release if that could help.

Here are some random shots from the original release of 'The Saga of Goku', first episode, (Australian DVD, which was available a long time before the US release) Time codes are in the file name. PNG format.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:28 am

OutlawTorn wrote:
dragondyle wrote:But then again, the "new" footage is zoomed in, just like the action seasons. They kinda screwed themselves over with that.
How so? Yeah, it's zoomed in a bit but it's not like it significantly alters the picture and certainly not in any way like the Z sets cropped it into a fake widescreen.
Oh, yes. That horrible cropping! This isn't as bad as that but it still shows how the footage is zoomed in and that can be a deal breaker for some people.
You must have faith in who you are.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:26 am

Would anyone be able to grab some screenshots from the 'remastered' set to compare to the ones I posted? As I said, the time code is in the file name. ie; snapshot_dvd_00.00.19_[2012.09.05_21.24.15]

SM-dood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SM-dood » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:35 pm

Sorry to bump a bit, but I could take a screencap if you want... however, I'm a bit inexperienced in doing so. Playing the dvd on VLC and using the snipping tool, will that not cause any compression or anything?

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:53 pm

SM-dood wrote:Sorry to bump a bit, but I could take a screencap if you want... however, I'm a bit inexperienced in doing so. Playing the dvd on VLC and using the snipping tool, will that not cause any compression or anything?
If you're using VLC, you can just go to "video" and hit "snapshot." It'll give you a lossless png.

SM-dood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SM-dood » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:46 pm

Alrighty then, I will go do that right now. I'll edit this message with the pictures when I am finished.
Edit: If anyone's curious, I could do most of the same images from the Trimark dub dvds as well, as I have them.

Edit #2: I screen-capped all of the shots from the Remastered release for you guys, and included the one Amazon gave as well to see if there was any difference. Sadly, the times given in the file names didn't seem to match up with the times on this dvd entirely (or I'm a newb to this), but I believe I got the correct screenshots manually anyway, or close enough to it.
http://s1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd5 ... creencaps/ < The screenshots

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Post by sumpter360 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:27 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Image

Is the original quality FUNimations 2nd (re-dub saga of goku) or the dragon box?
Did no one else notice that these two shots aren't at the same time? Pretty poor comparison, just look at the placement of the mountain to the bike between these shots.
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:22 pm

sumpter360 wrote:

Did no one else notice that these two shots aren't at the same time? Pretty poor comparison, just look at the placement of the mountain to the bike between these shots.
I think the discussion is more about the colors than anything else, also the two shots aren't that far apart so I don't really see the problem.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Post by sumpter360 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:13 pm

superrayman3 wrote:
sumpter360 wrote:

I think the discussion is more about the colors than anything else, also the two shots aren't that far apart so I don't really see the problem.
Oh, I see. Sorry, I thought this was aimed more towards the zooming :oops:
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:20 pm

I think the "original quality" is the Dragon Box. If no one else has posted a Dragon Box shot of it, I will when I get home. Some of the earlier DBox episodes have a little bit of a color cast on them from age (like too much green or yellow across the picture).

This is why we had this thread to color correct them yourself if you want.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:43 pm

Here is a screenshot of roughly the same frame from the R2 DBox:

ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:04 pm

Thats def. dragon box footage! I took the screen caps provided here to make a bigger version (except both Gokus are level). It seems to loose about the same amount of picture on each release (top on dbox, bottom on remastered). However, Dbox has more on the sides. Also, did FUNimation squish the footage?

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:20 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Thats def. dragon box footage! I took the screen caps provided here to make a bigger version (except both Gokus are level). It seems to loose about the same amount of picture on each release (top on dbox, bottom on remastered). However, Dbox has more on the sides. Also, did FUNimation squish the footage?
It looks like that Dbox image is squished, actually. If someone could get a proper Dbox shot from the same frame it would be easier to judge, but I bet the DBox image actually has more area all around. Especially on these early episodes that are zoomed a lot. I think it's cool that you can see the edges of the film.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:23 pm

Zestanor wrote:It looks like that Dbox image is squished, actually.
I didn't take the time to give a "proper" screen shot with correct aspect ratio and all... I thought we were just looking at colors.
ect5150

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:17 pm

SM-dood wrote:Alrighty then, I will go do that right now. I'll edit this message with the pictures when I am finished.
Edit: If anyone's curious, I could do most of the same images from the Trimark dub dvds as well, as I have them.

Edit #2: I screen-capped all of the shots from the Remastered release for you guys, and included the one Amazon gave as well to see if there was any difference. Sadly, the times given in the file names didn't seem to match up with the times on this dvd entirely (or I'm a newb to this), but I believe I got the correct screenshots manually anyway, or close enough to it.
http://s1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd5 ... creencaps/ < The screenshots
Thanks for taking those Remastered shots.

Comparing them to the original release shots I took, it looks like the remastered sets also had some DNR applied.

SM-dood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SM-dood » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:40 am

http://s1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd5 ... Episode_1/ This is more of a bonus thing, but I've taken some screenshots from "The Saga of Goku" set as well to see if there was any resemblance. It matches the Remastered colors more IMO. (Not that being an edited dub, some things are removed/switched around and I can't get all of the screencaps [at the moment]).

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:47 am

LordCrumb wrote:Comparing them to the original release shots I took, it looks like the remastered sets also had some DNR applied.
I'm not too sure what we're all talking about here -- but FUNI's Blue Dragon Ball sets aren't based off of the Japanese Dragon Box in any fashion. They are basically a decent cleanup of the digi-beta versions they've always had. So claiming "original" vs. "remastered" isn't a good way to describe the screenshots in the original post. The Japanese release of the Dragon Ball Dragon Box is cleanup up very well with some arguments to made regarding the coloring (again, see this thread). Others have pointed out the Blue Bricks still have video problems (such as rainbow effects, etc...). While some may claim the colors aren't as faithful in the Japanese DBox release due to age, the video cleanup of dirt/film glue/film tears/sharpness/encoding is far superior to any other release so far.

I think chances are we're going to see a Dragon Ball Dragon Box release in the US soon, so if you're looking into purchasing options, I'd wait. I believe someone made the claim of a FUNI rep stating the next Dragon Ball release would be Q1 of 2013 -- right around the corner. So, I think we'll be hearing an announcement soon (although, I could always be wrong).
ect5150