DB placed at #16 on anime all otaku should watch

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ringworm128
Banned

DB placed at #16 on anime all otaku should watch

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:21 am

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... should-see
A Japanese poll was put up asking "what anime's should every anime fan watch?" There were thousands of votes and eventually DB (including Z and GT) got placed at #16. The part that annoys me is not that DB didn't get #1 but instead I'm annoyed that K-ON got #1. Seriously, pretty much everything else on that list is more deserving of #1.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Re: DB placed at #16 on anime's all otaku should watch.

Post by Saiga » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:26 am

I'm just annoyed that the Pokemon anime is on there at all. :P
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:32 am

The title of the article says it's an otaku poll, so the audience is different than it would be for other types of audiences. I mean, One Piece isn't even on there, and One Piece is hugely popular. Otaku-type poll and most of the series near the top of the list makes me think it's for people looking for moé or giant robots, not adventure stories. Blue-haired Lunch is probably the only character in Dragon Ball who could fit that mold (there's a few other DB characters I could argue who'd fit too, but none who are intentional), and she's not in the series all that much.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:34 am

- K-On
- Lucky Star
- Code Geass
- Toradora
- Aquarion
- Durarara!!
Wow. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also, copping out and saying "all of Gundam" invalidates that list.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:06 am

Only a few thousand votes? Big deal then.
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:13 am

Lucky Star > Dragon Ball

Alrighty then.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:58 am

Dragon ball :16
Death Note :28
Gurren Laggan :32
Fullmetal Alchemist (both) no where
The list is wrong.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:03 am

No Cowboy Bebop or Azumanga Daioh. Psh... At least Evangelion, Haruhi and DB got some love.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:04 pm

I have a feeling with these particular kinds of polls that the more generally acceptable a series is, the lower it's going to place. With that in mind, Dragon Ball being that high is a goddamn miracle.

So, yeah. Giant robots and moe ahoy.

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:11 pm

That's otaku list.
Means- made by people who by watching too much moe had spoiled their eyes so badly, that they are unable to see any anime in distance longer than 5 years.
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: DB placed at #16 on anime all otaku should watch

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:25 pm

Boring list, most of it is mainstream. It seems like Neon Genesis Evangelion is always high on anime list. It's a great show but I'm pretty sure that there is other animes that are better then it.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:31 pm

Saiga wrote:I'm just annoyed that the Pokemon anime is on there at all. :P
I hope they're just talking about the original anime, and not it's boring and repetitive sequels.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:44 pm

I'm pretty sure the original Pokemon anime does not hold up if you are not watching it for Nostalgia. You could say the same for Dragon Ball but I never watch Dragon Ball without nostalgia.
She/Her

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:41 pm

No Shin-chan? Oh.. :|
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Ketchup_Revenge
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ketchup_Revenge » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:42 pm

No FMA: Brotherhood??????!

Seriously?? Out of all the animes I've seen, that one is by far one of the most emotionally riveting and deep.
I wipe it off the tile, the light is brighter this time, everything is 3D blasphemy.
My eyes are red and gold, the hair is standing straight up, this is not the way I picture me.
I can't control my shakes, how the hell did I get here? Something about this, so very wrong.
I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn't like this. Is it a dream or a memory?

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:46 pm

You guys have smalltime expectations.

You can't call yourself an anime fan if you haven't seen this.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:52 pm

With all movies and gaidens or the main series alone also counts?
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

Ketchup_Revenge
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ketchup_Revenge » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:01 pm

penguintruth wrote:You guys have smalltime expectations.

You can't call yourself an anime fan if you haven't seen this.
I've never called myself an anime fan. I just like certain series, doesn't matter where they're from. I'm the same way with music. I like songs, not bands or genres.

In reality, a lot of anime/manga artists couldn't draw their way out of a wet paper bag, so I never understood why so many people our age value their artistic ability on how well they can draw anime.
Last edited by Ketchup_Revenge on Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wipe it off the tile, the light is brighter this time, everything is 3D blasphemy.
My eyes are red and gold, the hair is standing straight up, this is not the way I picture me.
I can't control my shakes, how the hell did I get here? Something about this, so very wrong.
I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn't like this. Is it a dream or a memory?

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:06 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I'm pretty sure the original Pokemon anime does not hold up if you are not watching it for Nostalgia. You could say the same for Dragon Ball but I never watch Dragon Ball without nostalgia.
Yeah but it's the only one I can see being anywhere near the list.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:58 pm

I'm surprise that Digimon Adventure was on the list, I remember it was better then Pokemon when it came to story and characters. I feel like Devilman should on the list. The 1970's Devilman anime series is still enjoyable even 40 years later.
She/Her