What's Your Favorite Scream In The Animes?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

What's Your Favorite Scream In The Animes?

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:46 pm

As we all know, there's much more to DB, DBZ, and DBGT than just battle cries, screams, and grunts. There's deeper stuff, no doubt about it. At the same time, I can't imagine I'm the only one who heard one of the many battle screams and afterwords said, "...MAN that sounded cool!" So, a tad on the simplistic side, but out of all the many screams heard throughout the animes...which one was your favorite? It can be any voice actor from either the original Japanese version or from one of the many dubs (any dub, regardless of language, is fair game).

I'll go first, I suppose. There are a lot of them, but if I was forced to pick just one, I would pick the infamous "MY WRATH" scream, as screamed by Brian Drummond's Vegeta. It's the moment in the original FUNimation/Ocean dub where Vegeta discovers that the Namekian Dragon Ball that he hid in the lake is no longer there. For the sake of context, the whole clip can be found here, but the scream in question occurs at 1:37. Vegeta's rage there is so damn palpable and believable. I remember watching that as an 11-year old and being amazed by it, and I still am. Interestingly enough, it appears that I'm not the only one with that impression, either...because all one needs to do to find this clip is type "my wrath" into YouTube. No need to mention anything about DBZ, Drummond, Vegeta, or DBZ...just "my wrath"...and it takes you to that clip as the first choice.

Well, how 'bout it? What's your favorite scream that you heard?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: What's Your Favorite Scream In The Animes?

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:01 pm

It's hard to stop Wakamoto Norio literally yelling an entire monologue/ultimatum in Dragon Ball Z episode #154. It's incredible Wakamoto was able to do this, let alone continue to do impressive screams in the following episodes and series' he had an involvement in. I'm also fond of Wakamoto's work in Dragon Ball Z episode #188. Not only does he go all out in recreating the level of intensity of his performance in episode #187 during the recap (the recaps all have newly recorded takes of any lines spoken by the characters), he also gives an incredible performance as his rage over being unable to hit Gohan explodes after Gohan's taunt "Tch, you're finished already, aren't you?" The bursting power of his voice as he screams "YURUSANAI!!!" is truly epic.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:02 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:As we all know, there's much more to DB, DBZ, and DBGT than just battle cries, screams, and grunts. There's deeper stuff, no doubt about it. At the same time, I can't imagine I'm the only one who heard one of the many battle screams and afterwords said, "...MAN that sounded cool!" So, a tad on the simplistic side, but out of all the many screams heard throughout the animes...which one was your favorite? It can be any voice actor from either the original Japanese version or from one of the many dubs (any dub, regardless of language, is fair game).

I'll go first, I suppose. There are a lot of them, but if I was forced to pick just one, I would pick the infamous "MY WRATH" scream, as screamed by Brian Drummond's Vegeta. It's the moment in the original FUNimation/Ocean dub where Vegeta discovers that the Namekian Dragon Ball that he hid in the lake is no longer there. For the sake of context, the whole clip can be found here, but the scream in question occurs at 1:37. Vegeta's rage there is so damn palpable and believable. I remember watching that as an 11-year old and being amazed by it, and I still am. Interestingly enough, it appears that I'm not the only one with that impression, either...because all one needs to do to find this clip is type "my wrath" into YouTube. No need to mention anything about DBZ, Drummond, Vegeta, or DBZ...just "my wrath"...and it takes you to that clip as the first choice.

Well, how 'bout it? What's your favorite scream that you heard?
Drummond's "My Wrath" is fantastic. There is so much frustration and anger there. The first FUNi cast still have some awesome screams.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:03 pm

Here is my list.
Vegeta's wrath(Ocean)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CH4k_URq4o
Goku goes Super Saiyan 3 for the first time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHucsw39th0
When Gohan was powering up to blast boo's shell(I always used think ''Oh Shit!'' :P )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9jG4E6m ... ure=relmfu
And when Goku goes Super Saiyan 3 against Janemba.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dY2IBPzJhI
But the first is my absolute favorite. :)
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:50 pm

In the original cast, right after Gokuu dies in the Cell Games, Gohan let's out a massive wail for his father. "Otousan!!!" It kind of let big impression on me.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:05 am

This amazing piece of work by Kusao: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIPdiooBVdU
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:39 am

Nozawa's scream when Goku is using the Kaioken X3. Also Sean Schemmel's screams in Z Kai. And let's not forget Peter Kelmis's Movie 2 Kaioken scream.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:42 am

I agree with Vegeta's wrath (Ocean) I also love the parody of that part in DBZ abridged http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCOxVaQQ ... re=related
Vegeta powering up against recoome is cool to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCOxVaQQ ... re=related
Gohan turns SS2 (Japanese)
And maybe not so much a scream but I really like Vegeta's Final Flash (Funimation)
"If they set that android free it will be the END of ALLLLL OF USSSSSS NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" for comical effect
Vegeta's Final Attonement

I'm pretty sure I had some other non Vegeta favorites but I can't think of them right now.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:14 am

Like you need to ask: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS-LZjDUrng

Best. Scene. In. Franchise.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:09 am

Stephany Nadolny`s Super Saiyan 2 scream,
Sean Schemmel`s Super Saiyan 3 scream.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:17 am

Dataprime

Post by Dataprime » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:51 am

For the Super Saiyan 3 Scream both ENG and JPN
were pretty intense

MisguidedGhost
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MisguidedGhost » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:01 am

Gotta go with the Japanese version of Gohan's Super Saiyan 2 transformation. The oozaru roar in the background invokes an extra sense of power lacking in most other screams.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:08 am

Pretty much anything from either Scott McNeil or Brian Drummond. They're screams make them sound like rockstars and it fits the intensity of their DBZ characters better than anyone.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:15 pm

penguintruth wrote:Like you need to ask: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS-LZjDUrng

Best. Scene. In. Franchise.
This. That "BWAAAAAAAA!!!"" always gets my skin crawling. Nozawa nailed that scream harder than any other scream she's done in the series.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:28 pm

I’m quite fond of Kelamis’ “KAI-OU-KEN!” scream in DBZ Movie #2, Schemmel’s Gokuu transforming into a SS3 against Janenba in DBZ Movie #12, Nozawa’s Gohan SS2 transformation, and Gokuu’s “KURIRIN NO KOTAKA?!” (“ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT KURIRIN?!”).
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:10 pm

All these are great. Say what you will about the over-abundance of screaming in these shows, but when they sound good, damn do they sound good!

While I've already said my favorite, there's another one that came to mind that I'd like to throw into the mix: Tommy Morgenstern--the German voice actor for Goku--when he powers up/uses a kaioken for Ginyu at the end of episode...either 69 or 70.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:53 pm

Japanese: Tie between Tanaka's screaming as Kuririn during the 21'st Budokai when everyone thinks Goku is dead and Nozawa's scream in Kai when Gohan goes SSJ2.

English: Tie between Schemmel as Goku going SSJ for the first time in Kai and Schemmel's SSJ3 scream in Movie 12.

Son Edo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Edo » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:23 am

I'm being bias. Evil Boo-Gotenks while charging up a Ki blast aginst Gohan.