Western equivelents of the characters' accents?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Western equivelents of the characters' accents?

Post by Fizzer » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:24 pm

I know many Dragon Ball characters have specific accents and dialects, but as a non-Japanese speaker some of them are sort of lost on me, especially as they usually don't get translated. What would you say were the English-spoken equivelents of some of them? If you were directing an English dub that was meant to portray the characters as faithfully as possible, how would you have them speak?

I sort of imagine the US equivelent of the way Goku speaks to be deep South, but I also imagine that to be the closest equivelent to Chichi's accent, and I understand that Goku and Chichi speak in different ways. For a UK alternative, I can also see a Yorkshire accent working for Goku, sort of.

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Re: Western equivelents of the characters' accents?

Post by CashmanX » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:33 pm

Wouldn't the closest comparison for Goku be a appalachian accent? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_English
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:33 pm

I can really imagine him talking like that, it seems perfect!

I'm also wondering, if anyone here knows, do people from space, or any of the villains, have particular accents in the original Japanese version?

LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LiamKav » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:27 am

For some reason, I can see Scottish working for Yajoribe. Watching his original appearence in DragonBall, he's usually angry and eating things that aren't good for him. That's pretty Scottish right there.

Generally though, I guess it depends on how wide a bearth we are being given. Brits can identify different American accents to a certain degree, but by and large we wouldn't be able to tell a Texas accent from a Kansas accent. Likewise, I imagine Americans would struggle with the differences between Manchester and Liverpool.

As long as we all understand Space Australia though, we should be okay.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:52 am

Well, since this is a completely opinion-based discussion, I'd say the limits are wherever you, personally, want them to be. For me, even something like a German accent of some sort for General Blue is fine, but if people were speaking English in a bunch of different Japanese accents, I'd just think they were all "Eastern". I think I actually would use Japanese for Kame-Sen'nin though.

Scottish Yajirobe is a great idea :)

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:49 am

Goku - Brooklyn accent

Vegeta - Stereotypical British accent (much akin to Stewie Griffin's from Family Guy)

Piccolo - Urban black guy accent

Chi-Chi - Chinese accent

Tenshinhan - Japanese accent
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LiamKav » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:56 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Vegeta - Stereotypical British accent (much akin to Stewie Griffin's from Family Guy)
I dunno. I'd be tempted to do the Steotypical Evil British Accent (TM) for Freeza. Or maybe an Alan Rickman type accent?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:39 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Goku - Brooklyn accent

Vegeta - Stereotypical British accent (much akin to Stewie Griffin's from Family Guy)

Chi-Chi - Chinese accent

Goku and Chi-Chi are the only two of those with a distinctive accent in Japanese, with their quasi-Tohoku hick accent (that's much more pronounced with Chi-Chi). Piccolo, Tenshinhan, and Vegeta all talk with pretty much the same casual tough-guy male speaking style.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:04 pm

Herms wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:Goku - Brooklyn accent

Chi-Chi - Chinese accent

Goku and Chi-Chi are the only two of those with a distinctive accent in Japanese, with their quasi-Tohoku hick accent (that's much more pronounced with Chi-Chi). Piccolo, Tenshinhan, and Vegeta all talk with pretty much the same casual tough-guy male speaking style.
I am well-aware.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:56 pm

Maybe it would be a good idea for Raditz, Vegeta, Nappa, Ginyus etc. Basically everyone from space to have a sort of generic English accent that is more subtle and not OTT, while Freeza has a more pronounced Brittish accent, just to make him more evil. There was another thread I read somewhere in which someone suggested digitally combining two accents for alien voices, though, and that sounds interesting.

Herms, are the any other characters besides Goku and Chichi that do speak with noticable accents in the original Japanese dub?

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:17 pm

Fizzer wrote:Maybe it would be a good idea for Raditz, Vegeta, Nappa, Ginyus etc. Basically everyone from space to have a sort of generic English accent that is more subtle and not OTT, while Freeza has a more pronounced Brittish accent, just to make him more evil. There was another thread I read somewhere in which someone suggested digitally combining two accents for alien voices, though, and that sounds interesting.

Herms, are the any other characters besides Goku and Chichi that do speak with noticable accents in the original Japanese dub?
Gyumao. He also has a Tohoku hick accent.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:21 pm

Mirai Trunks would talk in near perfect English, as in the original, he spoke in textbook Japanese.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:13 pm

Goku and Chi-Chi sound like Sarah Palin, you betcha.

They can see parts of Yunzabit from Mt. Paozu.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:27 pm

English Gokuh would probably speak with a lot of weird pronunciations like winder instead of window since he says dejōbu and dekon instead of daijōbu and daikon.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Fin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fin » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:14 am

I'm confused. Is this thread about finding English equivalents of the various Japanese accents that appear in the story, or is it about what kind of accents you'd like to see certain characters have, regardless of how they speak in Japanese?

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:49 am

Fin wrote:I'm confused. Is this thread about finding English equivalents of the various Japanese accents that appear in the story, or is it about what kind of accents you'd like to see certain characters have, regardless of how they speak in Japanese?
I started the thread meaning for it to be about the closest equivalents to the way characters speak in the story, to gave the same impressions to an English-speaking audience as were given to the Japanese-speaking audience. A lot of "It would be cool if this person talked like this" has happened, based on characters' mannerisms and stuff, but that's fine too, it's still a fun discussion.

LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LiamKav » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:24 am

You could give Gohan a Harry Potter-esq young-but-well-spoken accent, to contrast more with his father.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:01 pm

Gokuu: A subtle Appalachian accent with contractions such as “ain’t” and “gonna” throw in.

Gohan & future Trunks: Standard English American accent, with politeness and correct grammar.

Gyuumaou & Chi-Chi: Same as above, but with a Deep South accent (I don’t know how much different they are, though).

Yajirobe: Scottish, because that would be fucking brilliant.

Piccolo: Deep African-American accent.

Freeza and Cell: A refined British accent.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:20 pm

Herms wrote:Goku and Chi-Chi are the only two of those with a distinctive accent in Japanese, with their quasi-Tohoku hick accent (that's much more pronounced with Chi-Chi). Piccolo, Tenshinhan, and Vegeta all talk with pretty much the same casual tough-guy male speaking style.
What kind of accent does Yajirove have, and how does it differ from Gokuh and Chichi?
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."