"Dragon Box" sets - Which/how acquired?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

veleta
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:13 pm

"Dragon Box" sets - Which/how acquired?

Post by veleta » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:53 am

I would like to know how did you get the DragonBoxes because i am trying to get them but it is almost imposible.

Thanks

User avatar
Metrite
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 308
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:00 am

Post by Metrite » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:49 am

The only way to get them for sure is to have been one of the lucky people to have preordered them. Unfortunately, they were only limited time items. If you're wanting to buy each one that's come out so far you'll likely have to just hope you find somebody selling their's, and probably end up spending over a thousand for each(except perhaps the GT one).

The DVDs from the DragonBoxes are going to be released soon, as the sites update on July 23 said. So you could just wait and get them as they come out(since it's only a few DVDs at a time, you won't have to spend so much at once, but in the end, if you intend to get every episode, it'll still be pretty expensive).

veleta
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:13 pm

Post by veleta » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:53 am

Metrite wrote:The only way to get them for sure is to have been one of the lucky people to have preordered them. Unfortunately, they were only limited time items. If you're wanting to buy each one that's come out so far you'll likely have to just hope you find somebody selling their's, and probably end up spending over a thousand for each(except perhaps the GT one).

The DVDs from the DragonBoxes are going to be released soon, as the sites update on July 23 said. So you could just wait and get them as they come out(since it's only a few DVDs at a time, you won't have to spend so much at once, but in the end, if you intend to get every episode, it'll still be pretty expensive).
I have sent to you an private message. I need to ask you a thing in private. My email is cerncern@yahoo.com

User avatar
Raiden
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:00 am

Post by Raiden » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:45 am

The greatest japanes original dragon ball items you can get in the web is in www.cdjapan.co.jp there is where I bought all my dragonboxes and my imports cds. have look and you might be lucky.
Good luck.

User avatar
Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 803
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:45 pm
Location: London, England, UK

Post by Bejiita » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:24 am

Raiden wrote:The greatest japanes original dragon ball items you can get in the web is in www.cdjapan.co.jp there is where I bought all my dragonboxes and my imports cds. have look and you might be lucky.
Good luck.
How come the Dragonboxes were limited releases?! That's kind of unfair, thy should carry on making them, there's still loads of people that want to buy them, and not the GT box.

Well at least they are making new ones with (was it?) 4 to a disc. I'll have to invest.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

User avatar
Raiden
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:00 am

Post by Raiden » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:44 am

As far as I know, they are not making the dvd boxes again. All I know they are going to do is to sell individual dvds volumenes of the TV series, but not in a big box anymore...
So I think your last chance is to search and search on the internet hoping some on-line shop have them. As I said before, dont forget to chek often www.cdjapan.co.jp some times they have them available for a few extra unites.
And yes it may seems a litlle unfair :roll: because they were expensive (very) and limited...
Good luck to everyone. :wink:

By the way I dont know If I am allowed to put on-line shop-links in my post, so please if some body can tell me... I dont want to do or say anything is forbidden in this great forum.
Thanks.

User avatar
DBW
Regular
Posts: 726
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:23 pm

Post by DBW » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:05 pm

Bejiita wrote:How come the Dragonboxes were limited releases?! That's kind of unfair, thy should carry on making them, there's still loads of people that want to buy them, and not the GT box.
It's very expensive to make the Dragon Boxes, and the whole idea was to only manufacture enough to meet the demand. How do they do this? They create an ordering window of approximately 3 months before each box is released. Everybody who makes an order in that time frame gets a box. So technically, it's not really "limited edition", it's only limited to those who actually want it. If a million people ordered the boxes, then a million people would get them.

I think this is more than fair. I always see people whining about wanting Dragon Boxes, and then going on to say that they only have $50 to spend. They are very big and expensive investments, and by using the pre-order only system, they can easly weed out all the poeple who love to talk about wanting the Dragon Boxes, but have no intention of buying them. If you truly did want the boxes and just missed out, then I hate to say it, but that's just too bad. You'll have to buy the singles.

I believe there's still a Dragon Box at www.cdjapan.co.jp. If you really want it, then get over there, pay the 100,000yen, and stop asking relentlessly for Dragon Boxes. It's over, they're gone...

(Sorry if I'm grumpy, but I think this is like the 10th "Where can I get Dragon Boxes???" thread I've seen).
Well at least they are making new ones with (was it?) 4 to a disc. I'll have to invest.
The singles will have 6 episodes per disk, except for disks 23, 24, and 25, which will have 5 episodes per disk. The entire Dragon Ball Z series will be released over 49 disks, however, this does not include the bonus disks (no TV specials, Playdia episodes or any other extras). They'll cost approximately $35 US each, plus the shipping and customs fees on top of that. I'd highly recommend simply buying your favourite episodes, and not bother collecting them all.

Oh yeah, a note to everybody... *ahem*

THE MOVIE BOX PRE-ORDERS SHOULD BE STARTING IN EITHER DECEMBER OR JANUARY. THE BOX WILL COST APPROXIMATELY $400-$500 US. GET READY TO ORDER THEM, BECAUSE ONCE THEY ARE GONE THEY ARE GONE!!!

(Online stores usually buy a back-order of boxes to sell, just incase you miss the pre-order deadline. However, it's first come first serve, so relying on a certain store's back-order is a real gamble)

There, now there's no excuses...

Mosaic
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:07 am
Location: NJ

Post by Mosaic » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:04 pm

DBW wrote:Oh yeah, a note to everybody... *ahem*

THE MOVIE BOX PRE-ORDERS SHOULD BE STARTING IN EITHER DECEMBER OR JANUARY. THE BOX WILL COST APPROXIMATELY $400-$500 US. GET READY TO ORDER THEM, BECAUSE ONCE THEY ARE GONE THEY ARE GONE!!!
December or January? Awesome, I may be able to get these. (Not too upset about DBZ since singles are coming out)

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16632
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:07 pm

The DragonBall set on CDJapan is always so tempting... had we not just recently purchased a new shuttle computer, 60 GB iPod, and gone to several weddings, I'd purchase it in a heartbeat :P.

The movie set will, beyond a shadow of a doubt, be pre-ordered by this badass, though.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

User avatar
lost in thought
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1018
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:01 pm
Location: Cudahy, Wisconsin
Contact:

Post by lost in thought » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:25 pm

VegettoEX wrote:The DragonBall set on CDJapan is always so tempting... had we not just recently purchased a new shuttle computer, 60 GB iPod, and gone to several weddings, I'd purchase it in a heartbeat :P.

The movie set will, beyond a shadow of a doubt, be pre-ordered by this badass, though.
Hehe. I'd pre-order the movie box if I had that sort of money to throw around. But then, there's still time to save up.
Though, now that I think about it, I'd probably end up deciding not to get the movie box, and see if I can't find a personal-sale of the old DB DragonBox. :)
DBW wrote:<clipped thoroughly detail inclusive rant about whiney people.
Very well said. And, sadly, I can't count myself out of those people who want one, but can't afford them, of course I have more sense, and understanding of the situation that defines the releases, so I don't go off making useless topics to find out anything. (There are more than enough topics floating around here, that get the job done; so it just takes a bit of searching to find out quite a bit about the releases.)

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family
Posts: 3146
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:39 am

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:29 pm

DBW wrote:It's very expensive to make the Dragon Boxes, and the whole idea was to only manufacture enough to meet the demand. How do they do this? They create an ordering window of approximately 3 months before each box is released. Everybody who makes an order in that time frame gets a box. So technically, it's not really "limited edition", it's only limited to those who actually want it. If a million people ordered the boxes, then a million people would get them.

I think this is more than fair. I always see people whining about wanting Dragon Boxes, and then going on to say that they only have $50 to spend. They are very big and expensive investments, and by using the pre-order only system, they can easly weed out all the poeple who love to talk about wanting the Dragon Boxes, but have no intention of buying them. If you truly did want the boxes and just missed out, then I hate to say it, but that's just too bad. You'll have to buy the singles.

I believe there's still a Dragon Box at www.cdjapan.co.jp. If you really want it, then get over there, pay the 100,000yen, and stop asking relentlessly for Dragon Boxes. It's over, they're gone...

(Sorry if I'm grumpy, but I think this is like the 10th "Where can I get Dragon Boxes???" thread I've seen).
Yeah, I can agree with you. I hate to sound elitist, but I personally made sure I had the resources to get each box by saving (either my credit or cold hard cash) and got all the DragonBoxes to this point. And to have people whine about the price or limited availability...well, it doesn't make sense to me.

If you want the episodes cheap...hit BestBuy.com or Ebay and get the R1 discs. If you're sick of the R1 releases and want the better R2's, get the single discs coming out (which, at $35 for 5-6 episodes is still better than FUNi's original prices) or scour the auction sites for used boxes. I can say I don't regret my purchases in the least, and am *so* glad I didn't stop buying them as I had almost done at one point.

Everyone happy? Good, bring on the movie box, I'm ready to finish my collection ;)

-Corey

User avatar
B-kun
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1385
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:52 pm
Location: Backwater Town in a Backwater State
Contact:

Post by B-kun » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:42 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote: Yeah, I can agree with you. I hate to sound elitist, but I personally made sure I had the resources to get each box by saving (either my credit or cold hard cash) and got all the DragonBoxes to this point. And to have people whine about the price or limited availability...well, it doesn't make sense to me.
Because... not everybody has the money to waste about 500 dollars in one shot...?

Hell, I don't even have the money to finish my Sailor Moon and Gravitation manga collections (I need 5 books to finish SM, and 1 for Gravi)

User avatar
DBW
Regular
Posts: 726
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:23 pm

Post by DBW » Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:44 am

B-kun wrote:Because... not everybody has the money to waste about 500 dollars in one shot...?
Sure you do!

Let's see, according to the VISA bill the GT Box cost me $494.63 Canadian (including shipping). I usually pull in about $250 a week during the summer (I work for minimum wage at the local grocery store, mind you). A University student's summer lasts 4 months...hmm, $4000 -$2000 for half my Univesity bill -$1500 for half my car insurance... huzzah, I have the $500 left over to pay for GT Box! And even if I didn't I always keep $3000 in my bank account in case of emergencies, so all's well that ends well.

Then I also work weekends during the school year, so that's something like $80-100 a week which goes towards general expenses and other crap I feel like buying. Then next summer we repeat the whole process and buy the movie box!

Today's moral... planning + financial responsibility = Dragon Box!

User avatar
Son Goku
Regular
Posts: 628
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:03 pm
Contact:

Post by Son Goku » Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:49 am

DBW wrote:
Let's see, according to the VISA bill the GT Box cost me $494.63 Canadian (including shipping). I usually pull in about $250 a week during the summer (I work for minimum wage at the local grocery store, mind you). A University student's summer lasts 4 months...hmm, $4000 -$2000 for half my Univesity bill -$1500 for half my car insurance... huzzah, I have the $500 left over to pay for GT Box! And even if I didn't I always keep $3000 in my bank account in case of emergencies, so all's well that ends well.

Then I also work weekends during the school year, so that's something like $80-100 a week which goes towards general expenses and other crap I feel like buying. Then next summer we repeat the whole process and buy the movie box!

Today's moral... planning + financial responsibility = Dragon Box!
Wow, hopefully I'll get that type of money someday! (I work minimum wage... doing chores for my parents. :P 25 cents a month. It comes out to about... $3 each year not counting Christmas and my birthday)
I also go by "veemonjosh".

User avatar
B-kun
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1385
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:52 pm
Location: Backwater Town in a Backwater State
Contact:

Post by B-kun » Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:15 am

Yeah, DBW, there was a fatal error in logic - while you may have a pretty good income, I (and it seems quite a few other people) kinda lack a job, and I'll kill anyone who says "Go out and get one". Hopefully I'll amend this problem soon by applying for Wal-Mart, but until then, I'm flat broke. And I'm not sure working for Wal-Mart pays very well... Though who knows.

User avatar
denitonis
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:11 pm
Location: Fryslân
Contact:

Post by denitonis » Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:37 am

DBW wrote:Let's see, according to the VISA bill the GT Box cost me $494.63 Canadian (including shipping). I usually pull in about $250 a week during the summer (I work for minimum wage at the local grocery store, mind you). A University student's summer lasts 4 months...hmm, $4000 -$2000 for half my Univesity bill -$1500 for half my car insurance... huzzah, I have the $500 left over to pay for GT Box! And even if I didn't I always keep $3000 in my bank account in case of emergencies, so all's well that ends well.

Then I also work weekends during the school year, so that's something like $80-100 a week which goes towards general expenses and other crap I feel like buying. Then next summer we repeat the whole process and buy the movie box!

Today's moral... planning + financial responsibility = Dragon Box!
Ha exactly how I did it,
I thought I was the only one who spend the half of his year income to a Dragonbox,
I mostly wasn't able to collect the money for the release date but got the Z boxes within 6 months of the release date,
It was even easier for the DB box which still is available,
though I really almost missed the GT box,
but checking CDJAPAN every day made me find 1 extra box which I ordered and now have in my possession.
All I need too is the movie box and I'm already saving up.
7/5th of all people do not understand fractions.

Quoting one is plagiarism.
Quoting many is research.

User avatar
DBW
Regular
Posts: 726
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:23 pm

Post by DBW » Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:02 am

Son Goku wrote:Wow, hopefully I'll get that type of money someday! (I work minimum wage... doing chores for my parents. :P 25 cents a month. It comes out to about... $3 each year not counting Christmas and my birthday)
LOL, don't worry, you'll definately be making more money than that in the near future! Just be sure to be careful with how you spend your money, since lots of people tend to get in over their heads once they get their first job. Spending entire paychecks may be fun when you're still young, but it's a nasty habit to get into, and difficult to break once you get older.

25 cents, minimum wage? Slave wages, I say! You work too hard, demand a raise! :P
B-kun wrote:Yeah, DBW, there was a fatal error in logic - while you may have a pretty good income, I (and it seems quite a few other people) kinda lack a job, and I'll kill anyone who says "Go out and get one". Hopefully I'll amend this problem soon by applying for Wal-Mart, but until then, I'm flat broke. And I'm not sure working for Wal-Mart pays very well... Though who knows
Well, if you don't have a job right now then I wouldn't worry about Dragon Boxes too much. :P

Seriously though, once you do get a job (and I'm sure you'll get the Wal-Mart job no problem), you can still use the same general logic. Obviously it's a bit too late for the Dragon Boxes, but you can maybe pick out some of the single disks that you'd really like to get, and set a financial goal to get them. Just make sure that your goal is realistic, and make sure that all other expenses are accounted for. If your calculations come out in the green, then you're good to go and can start saving. If your calculations come out in the red, then you'll just have to accept that life is difficult sometimes and set a new goal. DON'T PUT YOURSELF INTO DEBT OVER A SILLY CARTOON (it's really not worth it).

Anyways, good luck to you in your job hunt, and hopefully you'll be watching some Dragon Box singles in the near future! :D

User avatar
Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5477
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:07 am

You know the people on here who are saying it's no big deal and isn't hard to fork out a couple of hundred dollars for each DB set, have been really insensitive. Do you honestly think that everybody with a job makes enough to afford things like this? Especially all in one chunk?

I work in the vet emergency field and it's an area where people end up being required to fork up $400-$500-plus dollars oftentimes because of the nature of the particular treatment. Many people end up having to euthanize their animal because they just can't afford something like that. And this is for something a heck of a lot more important than a limited box set. A lot of people are struggling and are one paycheck away from being bankrupt. I know I got completely off-topic here but the way people were acting in the last few posts annoyed me and people should do a lot more thinking before they post.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

User avatar
DBW
Regular
Posts: 726
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:23 pm

Post by DBW » Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:57 am

Jerseymilk wrote:I work in the vet emergency field and it's an area where people end up being required to fork up $400-$500-plus dollars oftentimes because of the nature of the particular treatment. Many people end up having to euthanize their animal because they just can't afford something like that. And this is for something a heck of a lot more important than a limited box set. A lot of people are struggling and are one paycheck away from being bankrupt. I know I got completely off-topic here but the way people were acting in the last few posts annoyed me and people should do a lot more thinking before they post.
That's a matter of circumstance, and hence why people should keep a reserve of emergency cash and not just spend their entire paychecks. If you really need to spend your entire paycheck to just keep alive, then why would you be whining about wanting a Dragon Box? If you're supporting yourself, financially strapped for cash, and living paycheck to paycheck, then what the hell do you want? A 99% price reduction in the Dragon Boxes? You can't afford them, life is cruel, set a new and more realistic financial goal! Perhaps you can slowly collect the single releases over an extended period of time?

It's not gonna kill you to have a positive outlook on things, and I'm sure that lots of people here can/will be capable of buying all sorts of luxuries if they look at it as a long-term goal. Dropping $500 all at once isn't so bad if you save up over the course of a year. It's actually less than $10 a week, and if you *really* want something and are determined to get it *and* are financially capable of it, then why not just go for it?

You can't just sit around and worry about this and that all the time. I believe in being responsible, but I also believe that people should have fun and enjoy themselves at the same time.

User avatar
Son Goku
Regular
Posts: 628
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:03 pm
Contact:

Post by Son Goku » Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:04 am

DBW wrote:
25 cents, minimum wage? Slave wages, I say! You work too hard, demand a raise! :P
I usually do that and my dad gives me a lecture about "you spend too much on other stuff". He usually gives the same lecture when I try to buy this "other stuff". Personaly, I wouldn't wan't to work at Walmart. They don't pay a lot and the back smells funky (trust me, my dad worked there for about seven years).
I also go by "veemonjosh".

Post Reply