The Fr ie za thing.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

The Fr ie za thing.

Post by songohan619 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:36 am

Why do you guys say "Fraiza" when FUNimation spells it Fr ie za? With that spelling, wouldn't it sound like the normal spelling of the name.
Just saying, I am not for the FUNi spelling, just courious as to why you say FrAIza.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Re: The Fr ie za thing.

Post by Herms » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:33 am

I'm not sure what you're talking about.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:55 am

Yeah, it was kind of hard to write, and get around the Freeza filter on the forum.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:04 am

Pretty sure that most people who go by the funi dub would pronounce it akin to the original pronounciation.
I've never heard anyone say Fraiza, so please elaborate on where you've heard it?

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:15 am

dbgtFO wrote:Pretty sure that most people who go by the funi dub would pronounce it akin to the original pronounciation.
I've never heard anyone say Fraiza, so please elaborate on where you've heard it?
Podcast, and fans. Not on the anime itself.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:22 am

I used to write Freeza but Friеza's better in my opinion, it's basically pronounced Friza (Furiza) 'cos the letter E is silent. I just don't like the two letter E's which are ii's in Freeza.

Hate that I have to activate the Russian keyboard system every time for Friеza's name but rarely ever comes up so whatever.

Here's Hеrcule (or Hercules -- some international AB Groupe based dubs) without any censorship too.

By the way, the international fans of the Spanish, Portuguese (PT), French and whatnot say Frizer (they normally spell as: Freezer).
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:45 am

He's asking why people -- mostly just me -- speak aloud "Fry-za" when reading the FUNimation spelling of the character's name with the "i".

It's because I'm petty, I think it looks stupid, and I like mispronouncing things that people write poorly. That being said, if the rest of their e-mail is written impeccably, I won't say it. If the rest of it is filled with wrong words and a complete lack of any structure, I'll either correct the whole thing before it makes the show, or I'll read it as if I'm a monkey down on hard times.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:27 pm

VegettoEX wrote:It's because I'm petty, I think it looks stupid, and I like mispronouncing things that people write poorly.
I think it's your fault that I do the exact same thing when I see the Funimation spelling of his name. I also say it like I'm sounding it out. Freeee-i-zaaaaaa
My Dragon Ball AMV's:
Pain into Power - Gohan Tribute - Best Character Profile at AnimeNext
The Dragon Ball Life - Original DB only AMV - Coordinators Choice at Anime Conji
When I See You Again [NEW!!!] - Goku & Krillin AMV - Best Drama at Otakon

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:35 pm

English words often follow the German pronunciation rules for ie and ei. As such, Frieza is pronounced Free-zuh, just like with the ie in believe. If it were Freiza, however, THEN it would be frahy-zuh, like with the ei in kaleidoscope.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:03 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:I used to write Freeza but Friеza's better in my opinion, it's basically pronounced Friza (Furiza) 'cos the letter E is silent. I just don't like the two letter E's which are ii's in Freeza.
I don't look at "Friza" and feel like I should be pronouncing it the same as "Furiiza", personally. My first instinct would be to pronounce it like the "friz" in "frizzy hair".
linkdude20002001 wrote:English words often follow the German pronunciation rules for ie and ei. As such, Frieza is pronounced Free-zuh, just like with the ie in believe.
Unless you pronounce it like "french fries". Maybe that wouldn't be quite the right way to read it, but I wouldn't blame someone for making the mistake if they didn't know better.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:39 am

VegettoEX wrote:It's because I'm petty, I think it looks stupid, and I like mispronouncing things that people write poorly.
What makes it stranger is your name has the "ie" combination which carries the "ee" pronunciation, but that might just make it funnier. Personally, I've always thought people were arguing via Japanese pronunciation rules while using English pronunciations for the letters themselves. What I mean is how vowel combinations will create sounds based upon the composition, for example:

beautiful - roughly "bi-you-ti-ful"
beau - roughly "bow" (as in "bow and arrow")

Same letters but a completely different sound, while Japanese rules don't mix the sounds so they would see "Fri-eza" as "fry-ee-za."

Though I can certainly understand that the spelling could look stupid to you, as I personally think the "Gokuh" spelling of Goku's name looks really stupid particularly since my English-wired brain reads the last syllable the same as I would "couple" or "cousin" as opposed to "coo."

I guess it just doesn't bother me too much as I listen to another podcast where one of the hosts has the name "Fried" which is pronounced the same as "freed."

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:44 pm

OutlawTorn wrote:I guess it just doesn't bother me too much as I listen to another podcast where one of the hosts has the name "Fried" which is pronounced the same as "freed."
How is Fried and Freed the same?

Fried's like "fraid" and Feed's "friid", it's not quite the same.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:34 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
OutlawTorn wrote:I guess it just doesn't bother me too much as I listen to another podcast where one of the hosts has the name "Fried" which is pronounced the same as "freed."
How is Fried and Freed the same?

Fried's like "fraid" and Feed's "friid", it's not quite the same.
Simple, his name is spelled "Fried" and he pronounced it "freed." Or, are you saying he doesn't know how to say his own name? (notice in the quote how I explicitly said "the name 'Fried'" not "fried" in general) And, yes, I do know how "fried" is generally pronounced, I'm not an idiot but the point is "ie" does not always produce an "eye" pronunciation in English or other languages, for that matter.

Take "die" for example.

In English, it would be pronounced "dye"
In German, it would be pronounced "dee"

And a quick check on Wikipedia indicates "Fried" is a surname of German origin, roughly translating into "peace" in English. Mystery solved!

Oh, and for the record, just for the hell of it I put "Fr-ie-za" and "Frieze" into Google Translate under the English language and it was pronounced with an "ee" sound, so there's nothing about the spelling which cannot sound proper. My only guess (as a hypothesis, not a justification) as to why they used that particular spelling is to give it more of an alien feel.

mysticboy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mysticboy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:58 pm

Well, "ie" does make an "ee" sound like "niece" or "piece" for example. But that's still no excuse for Funi spelling Freeza like Frieza.

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:24 am

Is it possible that FUNi went with the "ie" spelling of Freeza's name because it might've been rendered that way in the (poorly) translated scripts they received from Toei, back in the day when FUNi couldn't afford a professional translator?

Just a thought.
-Joey

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:51 am

The ie in Frieza makes as much sense as pronouncing it as Fry-za, so here you go.

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:06 pm

hleV wrote:The ie in Freeza makes as much sense as pronouncing it as Fry-za, so here you go.
Well, the spelling is more of an aesthetics thing where it either bothers you or it doesn't. So, I guess spelling it with an "ie" makes about as much sense as spelling Goku as "Gokou" or "Gokuh" or even "Gokuu."

Why is it people don't seem to have a problem with the many different spellings of "Goku" yet "Fr-ie-za" raises their ire? It is because it's not a straight "freezer" pun or is it because it's a FUNimation thing and is associated with the Pauline Newstone/Linda Young voices?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:17 pm

I certainly have a problem with the "Gokou" spelling along with "Ginew", and those are official Japanese ones that've always been in place. It ain't a FUNimation thing -- it's a "logic" thing.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:19 pm

Well, there is a difference there. Like others have said "ie" can be pronounced like "ee", but, as far as I'm aware "ew" is pronounced like "oo", rather than "yu", and "ou" (like in "Gokou") is pronounced like a long "o", and not the "oo" sound.

So, yeah, I look at "Gokou" and want to pronounce it "Goko", but Freeza with an "i"... that can go either way.

See what I did there? :P

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:30 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I certainly have a problem with the "Gokou" spelling along with "Ginew".
I think "Ginew" if anything makes it easier for English speakers to see the correct pronunciation than "Ginyu" does, but I suppose that's neither here nor there.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.