Just met Brian Drummond in the gym...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Just met Brian Drummond in the gym...

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:44 am

Yup, exactly 5 minutes ago. I live a block away from the gym and as I was finishing up my chest workout I see a dude walk in that looks suspiciously like Brian Drummond. After I finish my workout I go up to him. I ask if his name was Brian Drummond; he said yes! Whoa. So I tell him I am a big fan of his Vegeta. I ask him about Kai. He said he has the old stuff for sale and they recorded some new lines. But he didn't say that he was really working on Kai. He said he was working on X-men! Lol, I don't know what to think about it really.
Anyways, he said too that he is opening up a voice acting school and all profits go to charity. Cool huh!

So I said goodbye and as I was leaving called out "over 9000 man!" and he chuckled.

Pretty sweet.

PS, Drummond is a pretty tough looking guy. I am pretty strong (I can squat 200 lbs and bench 180 so far) but he looks strong himself. He's taller than I expected. Haha! Yeah, pretty cool.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Re: Just met Brian Drummond in the gym...

Post by El Diabeetus » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:01 am

That sounds pretty awesome! Haha, being someone who wants to do Voice Acting, I'd love to just be able to causally meet people behind the voices like that.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:07 am

Attitudefan wrote:I ask him about Kai. He said he has the old stuff for sale and they recorded some new lines. But he didn't say that he was really working on Kai.
Huh?! Was he was selling the old DBZK DVD's? :lol:

What do you mean by "he has the old stuff for sale"?

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:19 am

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
Attitudefan wrote:I ask him about Kai. He said he has the old stuff for sale and they recorded some new lines. But he didn't say that he was really working on Kai.
Huh?! Was he was selling the old DBZK DVD's? :lol:

What do you mean by "he has the old stuff for sale"?
When I asked him he kinda mumbled about it. He first said that yeah, he was recording new stuff; that they have gone back to "redo lines". Then he said that all the stuff you can get with him are already out and basically said there were no new stuff... kinda. He didn't really make sense lol. What I think he meant is that they are recording new stuff but all the old DBZ is out there. He mentioned the "UK dub" as he put it.

So, what is up with Kai then... I don't know, he mentioned it then went back on what he said (kind of). He talked about how he has 30 different shows he is working on at the moment and for all we know, Kai could be one of them! :mrgreen:
That sounds pretty awesome! Haha, being someone who wants to do Voice Acting, I'd love to just be able to causally meet people behind the voices like that.
I hope I didn't freak him out! He seems like a really humble guy; opening a school for voice acting and profits got to charity. He said he makes enough money voice acting that he doesn't need more! Wow, good for him!
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:54 am

I'm sure you didn't freak him out. these people know that they made kid's childhoods so if anything I'd say it makes them happy. :) but regardless that's awesome that you got to meet him.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:57 am

I guess he would've not given you an evasive answer if he's not involved in the production.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:18 am

samuraix123 wrote:I'm sure you didn't freak him out. these people know that they made kid's childhoods so if anything I'd say it makes them happy. :) but regardless that's awesome that you got to meet him.
He kinda does sound like Ryuk or Vegeta but just not too low or too high! Yeah, dude he was like a childhood hero for me! Man, such a good feeling that I met him! Once in a lifetime! I was nervous to approach him but I could not ignore the fact that Vegeta was working out in the same gym as me :lol:
kei17 wrote:I guess he would've not given you an evasive answer if he's not involved in the production.
He obviously is part of it. I did mention he doesn't have to tell me if he wasn't allowed. Trust me, he was pretty evasive to the question. Remember, he did say "they have come back to redo it."
So, I guess this is our update to Ocean Kai eh? New news for us fans. So, it seems that Drummond may be reprising all his roles too!

He did say that "it was rare for voice actors to reprise roles from many years ago". So, how should we approach this? Is Ocean Kai really what we think it is? We will see in due time I guess.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:37 am

Sounds awesome. Did you took any pictures?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:04 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:Sounds awesome. Did you took any pictures?
I knew someone would say that. I don't bring my phone to the gym. I live a block away, so I don't bother. I regretted that today! :lol:

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:49 am

You could of mentioned our fan dub and MyVegetaaa.

Really cool that you met him though.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:18 pm

Wow! That is really cool. Glad you got to meet your childhood hero Attitudefan. By the sounds of things you got to talk with him for a good bit of time. Also if they are going back to redub lines then it seems that Ocean Kai is in good hands. What was his body language when you mentioned Kai?

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:38 pm

Wow! That's really cool! That was definitely once in a lifetime! :)
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

SM-dood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SM-dood » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:53 pm

I didn't know that you lived so close to Brian Drummond :shock: ...or wherever he currently is.

I hope nobody starts calling this meeting fake <.> But that's awesome that you got to :shock:

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:36 pm

Gonstead wrote:You could of mentioned our fan dub and MyVegetaaa.

Really cool that you met him though.
Haha, I should have! But we only talked for a couple minutes. I didn't want to take all his time away from him.
Solidus wrote:Wow! That is really cool. Glad you got to meet your childhood hero Attitudefan. By the sounds of things you got to talk with him for a good bit of time. Also if they are going back to redub lines then it seems that Ocean Kai is in good hands. What was his body language when you mentioned Kai?
He kind of nervous about it. He quickly changed the subject. Like I said, he made some incoherent mumbling on it. It was quite interesting!
SM-dood wrote:I didn't know that you lived so close to Brian Drummond :shock: ...or wherever he currently is.

I hope nobody starts calling this meeting fake <.> But that's awesome that you got to :shock:

Yeah, I think he lives a little further down from where I live. Lets just say we both live in the lower mainland . I don't want to disrupt his privacy and neither mine.
It is no fake, I would not lie about something like this; that is just stupid. Just because I did not take a picture or anything like that might make people think it did not happen, but it did. Nothing is going to change the fact that I talked to him and shook his hand! Anyways, I probably would not take a photo for the simple fact that I would not want to be creepy about it :lol:

But yeah, I ran back home and jumped on the computer to tell you guys all about it!

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:56 pm

Thanks for all the info Attitudefan. Really appreciate it.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:29 pm

I envy you.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:10 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:I envy you.
I envy myself.
Solidus wrote:Thanks for all the info Attitudefan. Really appreciate it.
No problemo! Must be some kind of luck on my side these days :lol:

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:45 pm

That's pretty cool!

The evasiveness about Kai isn't too surprising, actually, as the video which has Scott McNeil talking about is has him mentioning an NDA before shrugging it off and talking about some characters he was doing.
Attitudefan wrote:
SM-dood wrote:I didn't know that you lived so close to Brian Drummond :shock: ...or wherever he currently is.

Yeah, I think he lives a little further down from where I live. Lets just say we both live in the lower mainland . I don't want to disrupt his privacy and neither mine.
Heh, I imagine the term "Lower Mainland" doesn't mean much to people outside of BC. For those who are unaware of the term, the Lower Mainland is a section of southern British Columbia comprising Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley, bordering the US state of Washington, and is the most densely populated section of BC. It's so named because of Vancouver Island, where the provincial government is located. There is, however, no region labeled as the "Upper Mainland"
Last edited by OutlawTorn on Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:56 pm

I'm bitterly disappointed in you, Attitudefan. You had the perfect opportunity to have him scream at the top of his lungs in his Vegeta voice. That would have scared everybody out of the gym, and then boom, whatever machine you wanted would have been open! :lol:

All kidding aside, he always seemed like a nice guy. Cool that you met him! The fact that he was evasive about the answer suggests to me that he was just honoring an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement).
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:07 pm

The time for Kai to been aired is already starting to expire, as in, it should've been released/done in 2011 as the show was broadcast in 2009-2011.

This whole delay or Ocean Dub Kai rumour just won't live too much longer as people start to lose faith that it actually exists and move on to other series.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray