Pilaf's race?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Choujin Daizenshuu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Pilaf's race?

Post by Choujin Daizenshuu » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:57 pm

Okay, I just want to get the air cleared about this.

Since every self-respecting Dragon Ball fan knows about Pilaf, I've always wanted to know what race Pilaf belongs to. Is he a troll? An imp? A goblin? A weird rendition of a Kappa?

Honestly, it's all one big fat mystery to me! Has Toriyama even discussed Pilaf's background and why he is living in a country populated by Arabs?

Please help a fellow out! :?

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Pilaf's race?

Post by Bussani » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:22 am

According to Daizenshuu 2, he's a Monster-Type Earthling.
Monster-type Earthling: Earthlings who fit into neither the Animal-type nor Human-type are Monster-type. There are many who have a distinctive appearance, like Mummy-kun and Suke-san who Goku and co. fought at Uranai Baba's palace, and they possess mysterious powers. Pilaf, whose true identity is unclear, is also included in this Monster-type.
I...I think that's all we know about him.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Choujin Daizenshuu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Choujin Daizenshuu » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:20 pm

That's...kinda lame. :(

I sure would like to know more about Pilaf and whether he belongs to any other particular race. Honestly, the only comparisons I've seen of Pilaf are the blue imps from Chrono Trigger.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:24 pm

I thought the same, since Toriyama has the habit of re using designs, the Blue imps came from Pilaf's design most likely. I would pass him off as an Imp since Monster type seems pretty vague and that can include many monsters, demons, etc.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:38 pm

I always thought of him as an Imp. I'm sure he's one.

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zillamon51 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:06 pm

I always thought Pilaf could be of the same race as Garlic Jr.
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:53 pm

Zillamon51 wrote:I always thought Pilaf could be of the same race as Garlic Jr.
He would be millions times stronger if he was a Mazoku.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:17 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Zillamon51 wrote:I always thought Pilaf could be of the same race as Garlic Jr.
He would be millions times stronger if he was a Mazoku.
I actually had the same belief as him. Maybe Pilaf is just the village failure. lol
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.