Anything that You Guys Didn't Like in the DBZ Dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbret12

Anything that You Guys Didn't Like in the DBZ Dub

Post by dbret12 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:13 pm

Hey guys. There are many things some people would not like about the Dragon Ball Z dub, both Ocean and FUNimation dubs had their moments.
1. Stupid dialogue such as religious references
2. Sent to another dimension
3. Constipated screams, mostly some like Ocean Tenshinhan and Goku.
4. Pretty bad acting in the FUNi dub.
5. Voice inconsistency (which is when they redub some stuff, but don't bother doing more of it.
I could go on, but I would like to hear what you guys didn't like about any of the dubs. English only.
The voices for the Ocean cast were fine, but they could've been better, same with FUNi's cast.

Beji
Regular

Re: Anything that You Guys Didn't Like in the DBZ Dub

Post by Beji » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:31 pm

No more...please...you can go back and look at all the other dub criticizing threads...they are all still here just go a few pages... we REALLY don't need another one. Dub criticism is almost sprinkled in most of these anyways... please?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:53 pm

Beji wrote:No more...please...you can go back and look at all the other dub criticizing threads...they are all still here just go a few pages... we REALLY don't need another one. Dub criticism is almost sprinkled in most of these anyways... please?
Maybe I'm turning into Toriyama, but I can't remember the last thread like this. I see way more threads along the lines of "stuff to dislike about the Japanese version" (like the one that's going now), or "things you actually like about the dub". Admittedly, both these types of threads typically take it as read that the Japanese anime is overall good and the Funi dub bad, and criticisms of the dub popo up in lots of other topics, but I think it's rare to have a thread that's just "point out flaws in the dub". And you know what, there's nothing wrong with any of it, as long as it's done in a civil manner (which, admittedly, can be an issue). If you don't want to read a thread like this, then...don't read a thread like this.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

DBZnut
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBZnut » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:59 pm

I vividly remember when Gohan was transforming to SSJ2 in the Funi dub and just before he was he said "i feel it slipping", to me it completely ruined the moment and was a stupid thing to put in, thankful Bruce Falconers soundtrack made up for it
Oh, hi there.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:56 am

Not nearly enough Chris Sabat. He missed a few roles.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:08 am

penguintruth wrote:Not nearly enough Chris Sabat. He missed a few roles.
Nah, it needed more Monika Antonelli. She'd make a perfect Goku.

Oh god, now I can't stop laughing at that thought XD.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Beji
Regular

Post by Beji » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:26 am

Herms wrote: And you know what, there's nothing wrong with any of it, as long as it's done in a civil manner (which, admittedly, can be an issue). If you don't want to read a thread like this, then...don't read a thread like this.
Well I can pull a few things from what everyone else thinks since its a civil manner. Here's my favorite criticism.
You're thinking back to 1999 (or criticisms of 1999) when the cast of FUNimation's DBZ was Chris Sabat, Sean Schemmel, Chris Sabat, Chris Sabat, Dale Kelley, Chris Sabat, and a fresh up-and-comer named Chris Sabat. It was also directed by Chris Sabat.

Every voice sounded exactly the same, and it was easy-pickings at the time to showcase examples of Chris Sabat talking to Chris Sabat talking to Chris Sabat in the same scene all sounding like Chris Sabat talking to Chris Sabat talking to Chris Sabat.

Guess who :P

My personal ones were how awesome the Ocean dub could sound at one moment and how bad it can sound during another
Ocean: Freeza's speech to Ginyu how much he(she?) loves having those balls. If Ginyu were a dog, or a cat, but the thing that makes that scene the worst is how that was the peaking moment that most people thought Freeza was a girl, Ginyu replying "It was my pleasure, you know how much I enjoy serving your hornet highness" most kids around my age we thought it was referring to like... a queen bee(a girl). And then (s)he wants to caress them..

Ocean:Gohan's line "Wow! My gosh! That means my dad is one of the strongest fighters in sspacee"
I really enjoyed the fight and I wished that Goku had given the senzus later in the dub only so Gohan and Krillin wouldn't talk.

Funimation Kai: The new Gohan's voice in the dub is too shrilly at times, especially not intimidating once turned ssj2.

Adds unnecessary lines where there was silence in the Japanese version.Funimation Dub Movies: Cooler's revenge, when he heads towards the sun he mentions blowing it up and letting everyone freeze to death...

*EDIT* Wow. while looking for the quote penguintruth beat me to the punch :lol:

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:04 am

"Because I'm my fathers SON! That's seriously the only thing I actually dislike about the Funi dub.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:59 am

Too many moments of silence. They really should have shoved more nu metal into the dub footage. I could really hear myself think sometimes and I found that annoying.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:16 am

Nail's voice (FUNi dub). Out of all the bad voices, it was just one I could not stand no matter what line he said. Luckily Nail didn't have much screentime.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:23 am

Saiga wrote:Nail's voice (FUNi dub). Out of all the bad voices, it was just one I could not stand no matter what line he said. Luckily Nail didn't have much screentime.
Really? That was the one Schemmel role I always liked.

Can I get a Schemen?

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:43 am

The only complaint I have is the script, really. I don't like the censoring of curses, religious references, words related to death or violence etc and the general dumbing down of things. I don't like "powering up" instead of "raising your ki" or anything like that.

As I said in the Reasons to Dislike the Japanese Version thread, the filler-lengthened fights in Z that last a dozen or more episodes are actually boring to watch. Funimation's music, insertion of lines etc actually made those parts less boring. Also, while the music in standard scenes is inferior and endless in the dub, it really does do a good job of making things epic. So generally I think the Funi dub makes things more exciting, but the dialogue is very, very lacking.

If we're talking about GT, then I hate the dub music for that too, and if we're talking about Dragon Ball, the only difference between then dub and sub is that the dub has an inferior script.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:46 am

penguintruth wrote:
Saiga wrote:Nail's voice (FUNi dub). Out of all the bad voices, it was just one I could not stand no matter what line he said. Luckily Nail didn't have much screentime.
Really? That was the one Schemmel role I always liked.
I can't tell if this post is sincere or as sarcastic as the one you made before it. :P
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:14 am

I didn't like the removal of "Ki" from the script since it was based on an actual real life concept then. It's no biggie but still...

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:13 am

-The script-writing is pretty bad

the translation isn't perfect and it's full of weird discrepancies which even backfire at certain characters (Freeza being the perfect example).

-Tiffany Volmer's Bulma

Just...Volmer's Bulma. Makes her sound like a whiny bimbo bitch.

-Faulconer's Soundtrack

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the music itself but I hate how it doesn't shut the fuck up 99% of the time. It's an annoying technique to keep viewers with the attention span of a 2 year old from losing interest, and some of the music placements are really awkward.

-Season 3 is a big joke

It's so bad that it is literally every bit as bad as the Anti-FUNi fans make the dub in general out to be. It's hardly better than the ...*shudder* 4kids dub of One Piece. The voice-actors/actress were third-rate Ocean dub voice impersonators, it's full of corny jokes, and cheesy one-liners.
Last edited by DBZAOTA482 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:15 am

There wasn't enough Chris Sabat.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:11 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:There wasn't enough Chris Sabat.
To be fair, when you don't know who's playing who, you're less likely to be bothered about Sabat's many roles.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:34 am

matt0044 wrote:To be fair, when you don't know who's playing who, you're less likely to be bothered about Sabat's many roles.
Knowing it is Sabat is kind of predictable.

Like how Isaac is going to end up on Dexter's table.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:52 am

Mmmm.......pretty much everything I didn't like about it has been covered already in this thread and in other threads. There is one observation I'd like to make, though. While it is true that we have some older fans here who were familiar with the Japanese version before the dub began, most of us learned about the Japanese version after having been introduced to DBZ through the English dub...and we had no problem with the dub until seeing all the changes that were made. I think it would also be fair to say that most--not all--but most of us who are complaining about the DBZ dub now loved it when we were kids. Not trying to make a point, just making an observation.

Also, regarding Chris Sabat. Similar to what I was saying above about how many of us loved the dub at first...while I am glad now that Sabat gave up some of his roles and is no longer voicing practically everybody...to be honest, I really couldn't tell as a kid. It never crossed my mind that all those characters were voiced by the same guy. Like I said, I can certainly tell now, but as a kid?

*Shrugs*

Maybe I was just stupid, but at 12, I honestly couldn't tell.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:57 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Also, regarding Chris Sabat. Similar to what I was saying above about how many of us loved the dub at first...while I am glad now that Sabat gave up some of his roles and is no longer voicing practically everybody...to be honest, I really couldn't tell as a kid. It never crossed my mind that all those characters were voiced by the same guy. Like I said, I can certainly tell now, but as a kid?

*Shrugs*

Maybe I was just stupid, but at 12, I honestly couldn't tell.
Did you know that almost 100% of the Looney Toons were voiced by Mel Blanc? Now that I know, I can tell...but I didn't know for a loooonnnngggg time. I also didn't know with Sabat until he told me ^^ haha, that's really how I found out, at the Frieza Saga cast party.

And many of you may know this already, but they did blind auditions for those roles...even the people who cast Sabat as "everything" didn't know it was the same guy. They found out later.
Last edited by cRookie_Monster on Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com