"Super Holy Water" & "Shunkan-Idou"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mr. Robot
Not-So-Newbie

"Super Holy Water" & "Shunkan-Idou"

Post by Mr. Robot » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:15 am

In Dragon Ball, in order to defeat Piccolo Daimao, Goku drinks the Super Holy Water, which, if you survive, is supposed to bring out any and all potential strength you had in you that training has not brought out. If this is the case, how come Goku becomes so much stronger after DB?

In the Buu saga, Goku sends Trunks to get the Dragon Radar before the city is destroyed. Meanwhile, Goku wastes a lot of energy going SSJ3. Why doesn't he use Instant Transmission?

Also, I'm not saying this is an inconsistency, but why is it that Bulma and Co. don't use the Dragon Balls to save the earth from the Saiyans again (early DBZ)? Does he say something like it is beyond my power?

Thanks.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:30 am

Simplest answer? Because it's a fighting manga/anime and you need excuses to have lots of fights.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Salagir2

Re: "Super Holy Water," "Instant Transmission

Post by Salagir2 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:57 am

Mr. Robot wrote:Goku drinks the Super Holy Water, which is supposed to bring out any and all potential strength you had in you that training has not brought out. If this is the case, how come Goku becomes so much stronger after DB?
I guess for the same reasons with the Namek's Elder "power reveal".
The potential power grows with time ? :)
Mr. Robot wrote:In the Buu saga, Goku sends Trunks to get the Dragon Radar before the city is destroyed. Meanwhile, Goku wastes a lot of energy going SSJ3. Why doesn't he use Instant Transmission?
A theory with a friend is he wanted to show off his badass powerful new SSJ to eveyone.
And I also think it's one of the proofs the fans wanted Goku back, instead of just being the mentor who teach the fusion and go away, he is very strong and can take Buu.
Mr. Robot wrote:Also, I'm not saying this is an inconsistency, but why is it that Bulma and Co. don't use the Dragon Balls to save the earth from the Saiyans again (early DBZ)? Does he say something like it is beyond my power?
He does say that.
But Bulma & Co could have wished for their pods to explode in space and they would simply die...

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:59 pm

Mr. Robot wrote:In Dragon Ball, in order to defeat Piccolo Daimao, Goku drinks the Super Holy Water, which, if you survive, is supposed to bring out any and all potential strength you had in you that training has not brought out. If this is the case, how come Goku becomes so much stronger after DB?
Because, if he got his full potential, he would've turned SS3 right there and there wouldn't be a point to the manga/anime, now would there?

[quote="Mr. Robot']why is it that Bulma and Co. don't use the Dragon Balls to save the earth from the Saiyans again (early DBZ)? Does he say something like it is beyond my power? [/quote]

Yes, the dragon did say it was out of his power to kill the saiyans (he was killed by King Piccolo, remember? and King Piccolo was about 200 times weaker than the saiyans.
I also go by "veemonjosh".

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:24 pm

Blowing up their spaceships may have been possible, but that would've been rather anti-climactic as well. All the training and they asphixate in space? (Not sure if I spelled that right).

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:35 pm

Son Goku wrote:
Mr. Robot wrote:why is it that Bulma and Co. don't use the Dragon Balls to save the earth from the Saiyans again (early DBZ)? Does he say something like it is beyond my power?
Yes, the dragon did say it was out of his power to kill the saiyans (he was killed by King Piccolo, remember? and King Piccolo was about 200 times weaker than the saiyans.
I always figured Shenron died from King Piccolo because he was the evil side of Kami.

gallagtor
Beyond Newbie

Post by gallagtor » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:41 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Son Goku wrote:
Mr. Robot wrote:why is it that Bulma and Co. don't use the Dragon Balls to save the earth from the Saiyans again (early DBZ)? Does he say something like it is beyond my power?
I always figured Shenron died from King Piccolo because he was the evil side of Kami.
Wait... Shenron Died?

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:43 pm

Shenron was killed by Piccolo shortly after he wished for youth.

And yes, apparently the dragon god can't do anything as drastic as defeat beings stronger than his maker.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Mike
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mike » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:09 pm

I've always found that a bit weird. I mean Shenron can grant pretty much any wish. One exception is that he can't kill people, so why didn't he just use his super, unlimited powers and grant himself a wish. You know, maybe teleport King Piccolo to a sun somewhere. :P

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:31 pm

Mike wrote:I've always found that a bit weird. I mean Shenron can grant pretty much any wish. One exception is that he can't kill people, so why didn't he just use his super, unlimited powers and grant himself a wish. You know, maybe teleport King Piccolo to a sun somewhere. :P
Then couldn't they just do that every time an enemy shows up? Though it would screw everything up.

Piccolo: No Piccolo Jr?... though if the below happened, it wouldn't really matter.
Saiyans: Without Vegeta, no Trunks. Without Trunks, the androids would've destroyed the planet. Plus, Bulma would be VERY VERY lonely :P
Freeza: No SSJ? (I personally think Goku should've gone SSJ when Krillin died in the Piccolo arc)
Androids: 18 would've died meaning no Marron (really doesn't matter) and Krillin would be VERY VERY lonely :P
Babidi: It would cancel out the majin power (according to DBZ2) so everyone would live happily ever after (but they would first have to deal with Dabura). Problem is, I am against this because Buu wouldn't be released, meaning I probably wouldn't like DBZ (Fat Buu was the whole reason I started watching).

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:36 pm

Mike wrote:I've always found that a bit weird. I mean Shenron can grant pretty much any wish. One exception is that he can't kill people, so why didn't he just use his super, unlimited powers and grant himself a wish. You know, maybe teleport King Piccolo to a sun somewhere. :P
At the time of the King Piccolo saga, there was no such thought as evidenced by the good guys quest for the Dragon Balls in order to destroy him.

Salagir2

Post by Salagir2 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:51 am

Son Goku wrote:Saiyans: Without Vegeta, no Trunks. Without Trunks, the androids would've destroyed the planet. Plus, Bulma would be VERY VERY lonely :P
I don't understand this kind of sentence. Without Vegeta, Bulma would simply have found someone else. Maybe Yamsha, or whoever else.

I personnally never though that Bulma / Vegeta was the best couple ever. Like Chichi and Goku, they seem more like the old "the love comes after, as the time flows" pre-decided japonese couple.
Stupid things on DBZ - Dragon Ball Multiverse Webcomic
-what happened in dbz today?
-they fought some guy

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:57 pm

Salagir2 wrote:
Son Goku wrote:Saiyans: Without Vegeta, no Trunks. Without Trunks, the androids would've destroyed the planet. Plus, Bulma would be VERY VERY lonely :P
I don't understand this kind of sentence. Without Vegeta, Bulma would simply have found someone else. Maybe Yamsha, or whoever else.
Bulma never met this Yamsha person, and I thought that by the time Bulma and Vegeta got together, she was fed up with Yamcha. See, no Vegeta + a Bulma without anyone = No Trunks in any form.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:51 pm

Maybe Trunks would've been Yamcha's son instead? :?

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:56 pm

Rocketman wrote:Maybe Trunks would've been Yamcha's son instead? :?
As I said (doesn't anyone listen to me?), Bulma was fed up with Yamcha, so she couldn't stand being around him anymore.

Besides Yamcha, the only ones she could marry would be:
Tienshinhan: He's a loner, so no
Choizhu (yes, I have trouble spelling it): Eww, hell no :P
Krillin: Meh, better than nothing :P

Sedorna
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sedorna » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:57 am

Son Goku wrote:
As I said (doesn't anyone listen to me?), Bulma was fed up with Yamcha, so she couldn't stand being around him anymore.
Well, that is how their relationship worked. Several times during the series Bulma would gripe about how angry she was and how she'd definitely find a better boyfriend. Bulma and Yamcha'd break up and get back together again and again. Just so happens that during one of their break-ups, Bulma got together with Vegeta. If that hadn't happened, I wouldn't be surprised if she and Yamcha would have gotten back together.

masenko
Beyond Newbie

Post by masenko » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:54 pm

Son Goku wrote:

Freeza: No SSJ? (I personally think Goku should've gone SSJ when Krillin died in the Piccolo arc)
Goku wasnt even known as a saiyan then, plus he still had his tail. IF he didn't he would have just been the really powerful kid with yellow hair.

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:02 pm

masenko wrote:
Son Goku wrote:

Goku wasnt even known as a saiyan then, plus he still had his tail. IF he didn't he would have just been the really powerful kid with yellow hair.
Yea, but it would be an interesting What-if.

ChaotixXero
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChaotixXero » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:26 pm

Nah thats not it. I think its that you need a high enough power level and then the rage factor...thing.

Gamingdevil
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gamingdevil » Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:20 am

Maybe but then he wouldn't be part-Saiyan either and wouldn't have survived in the future to come back to warn Goku.

ChaotixXero wrote:Nah thats not it. I think its that you need a high enough power level and then the rage factor...thing.
I think that too, you first have to have a potential power level to be a Super Saiyan, only then will the trigger actually do anything.
Who said life isn't a game?