Kenji Yamamoto and the Copyright Infringement - Arrest?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Kenji Yamamoto and the Copyright Infringement - Arrest?

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:30 pm

So, how come Kenji Yamamoto who's plagiarised musicians wasn't arrested for the copyright infringement he's committed for years?

Yet, others who released films on the internet with CAM and R5 quality were locked up (IMAGiNE).

Yamamoto should be arrested for the crime he committed, Kenji took full credit as if the music tracks he 'composed' were his. He himself isn't even a composer, just borrowed tracks from others and modified them.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

penguintruth
Banned

Re: Kenji Yamamoto and the Copyright Infringement - Arrest?

Post by penguintruth » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:37 pm

That reminds me of all the other people who've been arrested for plagiarism.

All none of them.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:50 pm

I'm not sure? I never really thought about it until now :?
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:36 pm

I don't believe Yamamoto ever actually took someone else's recording and used it as his own. He'd do his own rendition of it with his own crew.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:23 pm

Oh well, they might as well let Toei undo the damage that is caused before he got the boot. That poor man did simply just covers, that's it. It's not like you steal music from artists and claim it its yours.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:54 pm

Just look at James Cameron. Not only did he rip off The Terminator, he actually laughed at the fact he did.

Hell, Avatar itself is borderline plagiarism.

Not only does he keep getting work, but his last two movies were the highest grossing films of all time.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:08 pm

Kingdom Heartless wrote:Just look at James Cameron. Not only did he rip off The Terminator, he actually laughed at the fact he did.

Hell, Avatar itself is borderline plagiarism.

Not only does he keep getting work, but his last two movies were the highest grossing films of all time.
James Cameron directed the first two Terminator films, so I'm lost on the first comment.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:16 pm

He means the Terminator movie is a ripoff of something else.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Terminator#Release

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:52 pm

Yeah... sorry that wasn't clear. ^^;
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:25 pm

penguintruth wrote:That reminds me of all the other people who've been arrested for plagiarism.
All none of them.
No one in this thread has caught this yet, I'll explain a bit more.

Copyright infringement is not (generally) a criminal offence. In this case, commercial musical plagiarism, would likely be a civil matter. CI isn't murder or theft, there's no need to protect society at large; so no police investigation, no sting operations. The most you can expect to happen from this is Toei and/or Yamamoto being sued by the proper rights holders.

I'm not very familiar with Japanese law though, someone with more specific knowledge should chime in.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:26 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:I don't believe Yamamoto ever actually took someone else's recording and used it as his own. He'd do his own rendition of it with his own crew.
Yeah. Maybe he saw Avatar before composing and did that song without realizing that he heard it somewhere else, not from his own head.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:50 am

funrush wrote:
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:I don't believe Yamamoto ever actually took someone else's recording and used it as his own. He'd do his own rendition of it with his own crew.
Yeah. Maybe he saw Avatar before composing and did that song without realizing that he heard it somewhere else, not from his own head.
That can't be true because The Ebb and the Flow shares too many elements with the Avatar piece. If that's the case, Yamamoto must be a patient with savant syndrome or something. Anyway, whether it was intentional or not isn't the point here. Super Saiyan Prime said that Yamamoto at least had arranged and recorded his compositions himself, though they weren't very original.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:37 am

It's not like any of these American composers would want to pursue an international infringement case, because like desirecampbell said, it's not a matter that is policed. Not to mention there's no way to put a dollar amount on what Toei/Columbia gained from these few tracks, so as to create a lawsuit. This is really a case of Toei handling the discipline of their employee themselves, and I don't see why you seem so up in arms over that.

Also this kind of strikes me as a Music forum topic.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:52 am

Pokewhiz7 wrote:He means the Terminator movie is a ripoff of something else.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Terminator#Release
I remember that episode.

Minus the time travel/psychology aspect (which wasn't a HUGE part of the original Terminator if I'm remembering right... it's been a long time since I've rewatched it), I don't recall it being overtly similar to The Terminator, and frankly the scifi story where 'someone gets thrown into an institution trying to warn people' was used prior to Ellison's plot.

Orion paying off Ellison isn't surprising, as he is a well known pain in the ass to deal with.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:25 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:So, how come Kenji Yamamoto who's plagiarised musicians wasn't arrested for the copyright infringement he's committed for years?

Yet, others who released films on the internet with CAM and R5 quality were locked up (IMAGiNE).

Yamamoto should be arrested for the crime he committed, Kenji took full credit as if the music tracks he 'composed' were his. He himself isn't even a composer, just borrowed tracks from others and modified them.
I don't know, lawyers?!
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?