Dragon Ball and your parents?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball and your parents?

Post by theoriginalbilis » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:50 am

Oh God, I can't believe this is pushing 10 years ago... My Dad was always the one that would watch cartoons with me after school (mostly the superhero shows like Batman and Spider-Man), my Mom could care less about shows I like.

When DBZ premiered on Toonami, I of course, started watching at the beginning, since the promos were hyping it to holy hell. We got up to the episode where Goku and Piccolo defeat Raditz, and my dad said "y'know, this is a pretty cool show." And it kind of became a tradition all the way until I graduated from high school in 2004: Me and my Dad would sit down and watch DBZ together in the afternoon. Good times and fond memories.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Ginkasa

Post by Ginkasa » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:03 am

My parents never really got too into the animé I watched as a kid. My mom got pretty familiar with Power Rangers and they couldn't help but be exposed to me Pokémon addiction. DBZ came at the time when they were more pre-occupied with their failing marriage to pay too much attention to what shows I was watching or whatever. In fact, the only real "moments" I had regarding Dragonball and my parents were mostly embarrassing. I was pretty interested in the censors and edits and whatnot; I typically visited DBZ Uncensored everyday. As such, I would occasionally view videos or images that showed what was censored and whatnot.

One of the videos I downloaded was from Dragonball was Goku finding Murasaki's dirty magazines. My parents had a talk with me about how just because it had characters I was familiar with doesn't mean it was okay to watch. They explained that some people would make fake cartoons using familiar characters and whatnot. Basically, they thought it was some pervert's dirty Dragonball fan video. I don't really think they paid too much attention to context (because its clearly meant to be funny, not sexy). I didn't explain to them that it was legit.

My brother, in an honest bit of pervertedness, looked up a picture of Bulma in the bath and then decided to excitedly show me despite my parents being in the room. Now that I think about it, the above conversation may have taken place here. Maybe we had it twice. Either way, I just think its ironic that both instances were actually from the show we watched and they didn't know it.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:17 am

My parents were surrounded by DBZ throughout me and my brothers' childhood, they don't seem overly bothered about it but they're aware of what it is. My mum often called my Super Saiyan 3 Goku figure 'banana bunch hair toy' much to my frustration.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:11 pm

My dad is kind of a fan of Dragon Ball. We watched a few episodes of Super and DBS Broly together, and he likes Goku the most. Plus, apparently, my financial literacy teacher grew up watching Dragon Ball Z on Toonami in the 2000s. He never did get around to watching GT though...
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:14 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:38 pm My Dad likes DBZ, my Mom.... not so much.
Same here bro
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:45 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:14 pm
TheMightyOzaru wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:38 pm My Dad likes DBZ, my Mom.... not so much.
Same here bro
Um, this thread is from 2012 and the member you quoted here got banned from the forum several years ago so he'll never see this reply. The admins don't like necroposts on old topics.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:50 pm

I saw it earlier but I went to check his profile and it says he's thirteen so I just left it at that. He's probably new to forums in general and I hope he just doesn't know how things work.

Hopefully he doesn't necropost again.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:02 pm

Grimlock wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:50 pm I saw it earlier but I went to check his profile and it says he's thirteen so I just left it at that. He's probably new to forums in general and I hope he just doesn't know how things work.

Hopefully he doesn't necropost again.
Yeah, i looked and he joined the forum this past August so he's definitely new here. Just pointing out that he was replying to a banned member's post from about eight/nine years ago and that necroposting in old threads is generally frowned upon by the admins.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:23 pm

My mom, despite her aprehension over Bulma showing herself to Roshi, suports my love for the series. She said to my sisters boyfriend that the computer he buys for me has to be "Able to watch Dragon Ball".
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:58 am

My parents never payed that much attention when I watch DB or anything however my mom thinks dragon ball is a bit weird.
Mostly active on discord.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:25 am

My parents never paid attention to what I watch, but considering how lax they are with my sister watching other shounen anime, I think they'd been fine with Dragon Ball (as long as they don't see the dirty gags :oops:)
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san