Dragon Ball and your parents?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DanTheBib
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball and your parents?

Post by DanTheBib » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:06 pm

Posted this in another thread, but it sums up my childhood while watching Dragon Ball:

I vividly remember watching Goku fight Vegeta in the Saiyan saga, and they were powering up with the screaming and what-not. My mom came downstairs because it was early in the morning and I had the TV on quite loud, and got really annoyed at me, telling me to "turn that rubbish off". I remember being teary-eyed and shouting back "you'd be shouting too if everyone you loved was in danger!" and storming off upstairs.

Nowadays, my mom kinda just ignores it (as my parents have split up, I live with her now). She sort of chuckles when I watch/do anything to do with Z, with the odd sigh now and then. My dad still calls it "that Dragon Ball crap" if it ever comes up.

I also have a younger sister who isn't massively into Dragon Ball (though has read most of the non-Z side of the manga) but who loves One Piece. My mom doesn't seem to mind that, and my nan actually quite likes to know what's going on in the One Piece universe when I see her.
"Well, I guess there is retarded people out there that has serious complains." - Margarita.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:11 pm

Xagani wrote:The only problem is that he hates when the show drags on too long. Jokingly, he coined the term, 'Drag-on Ball Z' and 'Dragging Balls' :lol:
DanTheBib wrote:I vividly remember watching Goku fight Vegeta in the Saiyan saga, and they were powering up with the screaming and what-not. My mom came downstairs because it was early in the morning and I had the TV on quite loud, and got really annoyed at me, telling me to "turn that rubbish off". I remember being teary-eyed and shouting back "you'd be shouting too if everyone you loved was in danger!" and storming off upstairs.
That's the funniest thing I've read all week. :lol:

On-Topic: My father thinks it's dumb but still better than Pokemon and my mother probably never sat down to watch it.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:24 pm

Maybe I could actually get my dad to watch the Japanese version some time, come to think of it. He likes a lot of Japanese things, has watched a bit of anime, and a couple of weeks ago I found out he's read Journey to the West. I've already told him before that the thing I used to watch on Cartoon Network was a terrible dumbed-down version so maybe that's a possibility.

On a different but related note my long-time girlfriend has now seen the first four Episodes of Dragon Ball. Before she had actually watched any she said she hated the series after seeing some bits of the Majin Buu saga on Cartoon Network all those years ago, but now she no longer hates it. She actually wants to watch the series now, but she hasn't watched any for a while and I'm always reluctant to say "why don't we watch more Dragon Ball?" because she's still not that enthusiastic, and I worry that she's changed her mind.

Xagani
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Xagani » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:56 pm

Fizzer wrote:I am definitely going to use those. I have previously used a "Freeza minute" as a unit of time. A Freeza minute can be roughly a few hours ("see you in a Freeza minute"), an extremely long time ("I'll get around to doing that in a Freeza minute"), or it can be used when something took much longer than it should have ("I set aside thirty minutes to do the homework. They turned out to be Freeza minutes").
Lol, I love that. I should use that sometime. I'd be like: "I'm going into town today so I should be back in about 5 Freeza mins" (comes back 3 and a half hours later).
Fizzer wrote:On a different but related note my long-time girlfriend has now seen the first four Episodes of Dragon Ball. Before she had actually watched any she said she hated the series after seeing some bits of the Majin Buu saga on Cartoon Network all those years ago, but now she no longer hates it. She actually wants to watch the series now, but she hasn't watched any for a while and I'm always reluctant to say "why don't we watch more Dragon Ball?" because she's still not that enthusiastic, and I worry that she's changed her mind.
I have nearly the same situation. My wife just hates Dragon Ball. She really knows nothing about it but just that it's a Japanese show and there is a character with a tail. I managed to watch the first episode of DB with her but she hasn't gone on from there... :(

On topic, I have watched some with my mum and she neither hates it nor loves it. When she doesn't understand sometimes what is going on my father would explain it to her, but she still wouldn't get it. She doesn't like the screaming too much either and while watching the Cell Games she would comment: "He (Cell) still isn't dead yet?"
"If I tried to re-create the original voice I think I would run the risk of hitting a note so high that I may not be able to have children in future life." - Peter Kelamis

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:38 pm

My Dad likes DBZ, my Mom.... not so much.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:52 pm

Fizzer wrote:
Xagani wrote:'Drag-on Ball Z' and 'Dragging Balls'
I am definitely going to use those. I have previously used a "Freeza minute" as a unit of time. A Freeza minute can be roughly a few hours ("see you in a Freeza minute"), an extremely long time ("I'll get around to doing that in a Freeza minute"), or it can be used when something took much longer than it should have ("I set aside thirty minutes to do the homework. They turned out to be Freeza minutes").
I am now using that from now on.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:33 pm

My parents couldn't care less about DBZ. They were just happy I was employed ^^

My wife on the other hand totally got into it whole hog. After I left the studio she was more into it than I was for a while. I was pretty disgruntled about the whole thing and didn't want to watch any of the shows I didn't work on (anything post OtherWorld/Heaven's Tournament). She continued watching through Majin Vegeta and part way into the Buu Saga. We did one Halloween(2001?) as Majins with goofy M's painted on our foreheads ^^ Of course no-one got it.

By 2007 or so when I started working on the Z-Music album she had lost all interest, now my daughter(10 years old) is mildly interested and watches Kai sometimes, or used to about a year ago.

My wife and I separated this summer after 14 years of marriage and 18 years together...so yeah...LESS than zero interest now!
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:54 am

Although my parents don't mind me watching / reading Dragon Ball and the anime on le TV due to "energy consumption", my father got an opportunity to learn Japanese and other languages although one of my siblings/cousins also read/watch One Piece, Naurto, etc.. just to name a few. Because of my neutrality of the franchise, my family does a little bit of cooking and eating large sums of food just like the Saiyans did. However, its a head start for me to have eastern cultures with me despite my southeastern Asian background.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:59 am

Not interested one bit!

My mam used to watch the Frieza saga with me when I was a kid and it was on Cartoon Network, and she seemed to really enjoy that but that's it. Normally anything Anime related seems a bit foreign and weird to people where I live... my Dad can't believe I'm "still into it".

I'm not bothered though because I'm not exactly fond of some of the things they like either!

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:38 pm

Both of my parents don't really care about Dragon Ball or anime in general.

My sister got my mom to watch through the original Fullmetal Alchemist anime a few years ago (and she actually liked it), but that's about as far as her liking for anime goes.

Like with BlackCatScott's dad, my dad also can't believe I'm still into Dragon Ball. He sees cartoons as more of a juvenile thing to watch.

Fin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fin » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:28 pm

DanTheBib wrote:I remember being teary-eyed and shouting back "you'd be shouting too if everyone you loved was in danger!" and storming off upstairs.
This is the most adorable thing I've read all day...
Fizzer wrote:I am definitely going to use those. I have previously used a "Freeza minute" as a unit of time. A Freeza minute can be roughly a few hours ("see you in a Freeza minute"), an extremely long time ("I'll get around to doing that in a Freeza minute"), or it can be used when something took much longer than it should have ("I set aside thirty minutes to do the homework. They turned out to be Freeza minutes").
...and this is the most awesome.

No bonding moments here. My parents don't really share many interests with me. My only family member who I can talk to about Dragon Ball is my sister, who's read the entire manga.

thefatman13
Not-So-Newbie

Post by thefatman13 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:38 pm

My parents love Dragon Ball. So does my grandma. We always use to watch it and my dad got all excited when I bought all the dvds.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:49 pm

thefatman13 wrote:My parents love Dragon Ball. So does my grandma. We always use to watch it and my dad got all excited when I bought all the dvds.
Your family must be awesome.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

thefatman13
Not-So-Newbie

Post by thefatman13 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:18 am

Sort of lol.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:39 pm

My father likes watching the new Kai episodes with me and saw all movies as well, sometimes unable to refrain from commenting about characters who piss him off in some scenes (Vegeta letting Cell have his perfect body or Krilin taking his time to obey Trunks who told him to carry Vegeta away right now)... He actually seems to be directly talking to them in that case, like "yes, dumbass, it's about time you realize he told you to get out of here with him five minutes ago... Damn!" :D

My mother is really not into it and doesn't know much apart from who Son Goku is (whom she used to call Dragon Ball).
She knows some vague names like Vegeta but wouldn't know who it refers to (she once saw a picture of Piccolo and said "Ah, yes, that's Vegeta, right?").
She calls the show a "guys thing".

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:42 pm

Dad - Doesn't really care for it.
Mom - Thinks it's weird, is neutral. I remember when Kai was first airing on Nicktoons, she thought Vic said Dragon Ball instead of Dragon Soul, and then whenever she saw me watching it for the next few months, would say "Draagon Baaaalll" and then walk away.

SpacePie8
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SpacePie8 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:58 am

funrush wrote:
Mom - Thinks it's weird, is neutral. I remember when Kai was first airing on Nicktoons, she thought Vic said Dragon Ball instead of Dragon Soul, and then whenever she saw me watching it for the next few months, would say "Draagon Baaaalll" and then walk away.
Nice :lol:
This is classic Tammy :wink:

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:36 pm

My dad bought the whole Dragon Ball Z season collection and we watched it (in japanese) together, he considers it the best show he's ever seen. I got Dragon Ball Kai and watched that with my mom. My mom was like, "what happens to them next I want to know" but I need to get back to her on that because they haven't finished the Kai Buu saga.

lolman196

Post by lolman196 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:39 pm

Didn't like the way I wrote this post, so I deleted it.
Last edited by lolman196 on Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SM-dood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SM-dood » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:56 am

Oh boy. Since I didn't really truly like DBZ until last year about, this is gonna be more recent stuff.

I've had many odd experiences with my mother and DBZ (namely Kai). For instance, she used to (I think still does) have a habit of calling any anime/manga I watch/read those "blue-haired [Japanese] people" whatever the show may be. For instance, I was watching Kai once via Nicktoons and she asked if I was watching those blue-haired people again... Krillin and Yamcha were the ones on screen though.
Also, I watched a bit of the Nicktoons episode of Kai with her before where Gero gets his head knocked off. She was mainly on her cellphone for a while, but eventually she went "this is scary"... the edited version.

There's more, but... it's hard to explain.