The ending to the Vegeta Saga

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DB_Fan » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:55 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:Tiffiny Volmer's crying as Bulma is almost as bad as her role as chibi Maron. I blame not Tiffiny Volmer, but the ADR director because it's his or her job to make sure the final take is perfect for the appropriate scene. Volmer's crying as Bulma when Vegeta sacrificed himself in the Buu arc was much more believable, whilst in the case of it's recreated still-scene in Budokai 3 and last night's episode, it just sounded too forced and not right. Perhaps FUNi's ADR director is too deaf from Schemmel's screaming to notice Volmer's bad crying :P
She never did Chibi Maron, she did Krillin's Girlfriend

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:23 pm

Tiffany Vollmer has never been a good voice actor as far as I'm concerned. No wonder she's the only FUNI VA who's only ever done one role.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:30 pm

I haven't seen much of Funi's other properties, but has she done anything on other shows?

gallagtor
Beyond Newbie

Post by gallagtor » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:35 pm

Super Sonic wrote:I haven't seen much of Funi's other properties, but has she done anything on other shows?
Besides additional voices on Yu Yu Hakusho, she hasn't done any other shows.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:10 am

Because she's a terrible voice actor and doesnt deserve more than one show to ruin.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:17 pm

On the topic of the redub, did anyone else notice how they pronounced "Namekian"? I haven't watched the original dub since they aired it on Cartoon Network about 7 years ago or so, so I'm a bit fuzzy...but I'm pretty sure they pronounced it "Namek-an." Now they're pronouncing it "Namek-ian." I'm probably wrong, so can someone fill me in?
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

tealsmith
Beyond Newbie

Post by tealsmith » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:43 pm

*PINHEAD* wrote:On the topic of the redub, did anyone else notice how they pronounced "Namekian"? I haven't watched the original dub since they aired it on Cartoon Network about 7 years ago or so, so I'm a bit fuzzy...but I'm pretty sure they pronounced it "Namek-an." Now they're pronouncing it "Namek-ian." I'm probably wrong, so can someone fill me in?
As far as I recall, it's always been pronounced "Namek-ian". I haven't seen the redub since I don't have Cartoon Network, so I've never heard them say it like "Nemek-an".
"My heart, it ceases. My breath, undrawn. My eyes forever focussed - on the sanguine metal dawn." - Caduca, Thief II: The Metal Age

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:09 pm

They should have kept the translation simple and called them a Namek person or Namek people, Namekian is ok anyway, more easier to people in this country.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:45 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:Tiffany Vollmer has never been a good voice actor as far as I'm concerned. No wonder she's the only FUNI VA who's only ever done one role.
What's so bad about T. Vollmer's acting? I think she fits Funi's Bulma perfectly. Sure, she can't do serious crying, but she gives the character personality.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:11 pm

I Heard them say Namekian a few times, but for the most part, they're still calling them "Nameks" like the planet.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:14 pm

MyVisionity wrote:
Sun_Wukong wrote:Tiffany Vollmer has never been a good voice actor as far as I'm concerned. No wonder she's the only FUNI VA who's only ever done one role.
What's so bad about T. Vollmer's acting? I think she fits Funi's Bulma perfectly. Sure, she can't do serious crying, but she gives the character personality.
What's so bad about her? Its the fact that i almost jump kicked my TV last night listening to her voice. Last night's episode in particualr was extremely painful to listen to. Like nails on a chalk board to me.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:09 pm

I don't think any of the dubs voice actors know how to properly do laughs, cries or screams as good as they are done in the original version.

Especially Vegeta, Bulma as well, despite the fact the woman who voices here doesn't sound all that bad the laughs and crying is what spoiuls it.

Does it hurt to do a proper laugh? I mean, a good way to make the laugh sound like it's real is to watch something that will make them seriously laugh for real, and just do it in the style of the character they are voicing.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:48 pm

One of the reasons why I don't like anime is because of the voice acting. It just doesn't fit. The expressions, laughs, cries, etc all seem out of place and dragged on. But with manga, it looks good since it's just still frames.

The majority of anime that I do watch have character's whose dub voices are annoying and flat-out wrong. But you get used to it, and you begin to identify that voice with that character. Since I was first introduced to Dragon Ball through the dub, whenever I imagine the character's voices (even if I'm reading manga), I imagine the dub voices.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Mr. Robot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Mr. Robot » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:21 pm

Most of the time it's like that with me too, since I was introduced to the dub. When I read Goku saying stuff in the manga, it doesn't sound at all like Masako Nozawa, more like an a "pseudodub" voice. But then when I go back and (rarely) hear the dub, I think "Wow--this thing is unbelievably bad. It's like they're trying to be bad." And while this applies to the actual dialogue, it's mostly the voice acting I'm thinking of. Some actors--the one for Bulma, undoubtedly--are worse than others, but overall they don't seem to fit the characters as their Japanese counterparts do. So while I hear a more masculine voice when reading the manga, it is not very much like, come to think of it, FUNimation's version.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:12 pm

The thing with acting is when an actor is cast, he tries to make the role his or her own, without trying to imitate others. You interpret the role as you see fit. But with anime, people always will judge them by the Japanese actors. People will always want to judge them by the Japanese actor. Why is it that only happens with anime? You don't see people going to see "West Side Story" expecting the female lead to be just like how Natalie Wood was in the movie.