DBZ portion of Manga to be in full color?!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Fox666
I Live Here

Re: DBZ portion of Manga to be in full color?!

Post by Fox666 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:07 pm

Mewzard wrote:I still find it funny that Dragon Ball is (if not from a new series, then a later reprint) follow Saint Seiya in full color mangahood, given they were both popular Jump manga released at around the same time in the 80s, made into popular Jump manga that continue to be Toei's best international successes (the one area they surpass One Piece in, lol).

The question about what colors will be used is an interesting one, given that we know that the movie is coming off the heels of this reprint. Will they try to keep things consistent with anime colors? Will they be faithful to Toriyama's semi-inconsistent idea of who should be what color?

And I wonder if this will effect other manga: Jumps got a lot of big manga, some that Toei has made anime of. Will this lead to a full color reprint of Fist of the North Star? The original Saint Seiya? Maybe something else, like Mazinger Z or Getter Robo (I fear the thought of what Toei would do to manga Ryoma Nagare...)? Or hell maybe something like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. That would make some glorious pages in full color.

Also, after DBZ gets colored...what would it mean for Toei? Would Toei keep an eye on sales to see how it does, and maybe use those colors in a future reanimation of Dragon Ball? Not any time soon, but years down the road. With the new Sailor Moon coming out, I imagine anything is possible.

I do wonder if this might inspire Toriyama, watching the excitement of so many fans seeing his work again, to continue the manga. Not weekly of course, Toriyama is far too lazy for that. But, a full colored manga release monthly, or just in batches whenever he gets a few chapters done (...I'm not seriously intending to reference back so much, it's just something I really want).

I made this topic over a month ago, asking about a Full Color release...so is it fair to say I unconsciously won at predicting Dragon Ball news?
Knowing Toei, I smell some kind of bonus for a re-release of the manga rather than the whole series in color.

Speaking of the manga industry as a whole, I don't think it means much. Even the color version of Saint Seiya: Next Dimension was dropped from Champing magazine (while the volumes are still in full color), because, according to rumours, the other authors complained. :lol:
kei17 wrote:
Raykugen wrote:
kei17 wrote:Looks underwhelming to me. The color palette seems to be the same as that of Dragon Ball SD, so I guess Naho Ooishi is in charge of this.
I think the people who colouring for those kind of stuff aren't the artists which draw the art
Then it must be the same person who also does DBSD. Anyway, they do resemble each other.
The manga artists often have assistants working for them, it's well possible that it is the same group doing the coloring, but easily someone else following the same standard.
Cold Skin wrote:Don't we have some proof that it's not anime colors with that sample?
There's Goku's Gi being orange, but that could be a minor hint at that I guess.
But maybe more importantly, when looking at Vegeta breaking his scouter, it seems that his scouter is green, while it's red in the anime if I'm not mistaken.
Not necessarily. Of course I didn't expected it would be completely different from the original manga, they must keep some consistency at least. It is probably look like SD, more of an hybrid of the manga and anime.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:18 pm

kei17 wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I'm near-convinced they had to have chosen that "Over 8000." scene on purpose for the ad. Cheeky of Shueisha, as old as that meme is now.
The meme is not known in Japan, so it must be just a coincidence.
Not known? Do Japanese fans not take notice of DB discussions in English or anything? Because that thing is pretty deeply saturated into both the fandom and internet memes, I can't see it being not known. More obscure or lesser known? Sure. But not known?

And even if the average Japanese fan doesn't know, who's to say Shueisha doesn't know that the English fans watching from the outside know of it? I know some of the dubisms kept in one of the later games had to be explained to the game devs by Sabat.

Might be some self aware small nod for the sake of drumming up excitement so we ask Viz for a release here.
Fox666 wrote:Knowing Toei, I smell some kind of bonus for a re-release of the manga rather than the whole series in color.

Speaking of the manga industry as a whole, I don't think it means much. Even the color version of Saint Seiya: Next Dimension was dropped from Champing magazine (while the volumes are still in full color), because, according to rumours, the other authors complained. :lol:
The problem is, magazines like Shonen Jump and Shonen Champion allocate only so many color pages per issue (at least SC does), so whenever Next Dimension would run, nobody else was allowed any color pages. That's why they complained, lol. They'd have to up prices for books and magazines most likely to allow full color releases.

Fox666 wrote:The manga artists often have assistants working for them, it's well possible that it is the same group doing the coloring, but easily someone else following the same standard.
Yeah, it's pretty rare that a comic artist actually does their own coloring. Even if they do their own inking, they won't often do their own color. Many artists on comics are really pencilers who get help with inkers to ink, colorists to color (obvious thing is obvious, lol), and letterers to add the dialog and such. That's, of course, not factoring in the writer, the editor for the title (gotta want continuity with itself), the editor for the group of titles it follows (further adding continuity between connected titles), the Editor in Chief (if the boss says no, all your work is down the drain sadly).

It's a lot of work in a well oiled machine to get the modern full color comic out from your DCs, Marvels, Archies, IDWs, Dark Horses, etc.
Fox666 wrote:Not necessarily. Of course I didn't expected it would be completely different from the original manga, they must keep some consistency at least. It is probably look like SD, more of an hybrid of the manga and anime.
Most likely, it will be consistent with itself; it will keep the same colors once it makes a choice. But, in regards to what will be chosen in the first place, I picture that the minor stuff will go with whatever seems fine, while the major stuff will be mandated by either Toriyama, Toei, Shueisha, or some combination of the three.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:27 pm

Mewzard wrote:
kei17 wrote:The meme is not known in Japan, so it must be just a coincidence.
Not known? Do Japanese fans not take notice of DB discussions in English or anything? Because that thing is pretty deeply saturated into both the fandom and internet memes, I can't see it being not known. More obscure or lesser known? Sure. But not known?
They simply don't care whatever happens overseas. They're so xenophobic and ignorant about the international fandom that some of them still believe that AF is an anime series actually made in the U.S. or somewhere.

Raykugen
Regular

Post by Raykugen » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:01 pm

kei17 wrote:
Mewzard wrote:
kei17 wrote:The meme is not known in Japan, so it must be just a coincidence.
They simply don't care whatever happens overseas. They're so xenophobic and ignorant about the international fandom that some of them still believe that AF is an anime series actually made in the U.S. or somewhere.
Your way of talking looks like you hate your own culture xD
Do you want NEW GENERATION DRAGON BALL (Z, GT..) IMAGES? In HQ? Of all characters? Click here: http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=17178
My Deviantart: http://raykugen.deviantart.com/
Dragon Ball Characters Project Deviantart: http://dbcproject.deviantart.com/

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:06 pm

Raykugen wrote:
kei17 wrote:They simply don't care whatever happens overseas. They're so xenophobic and ignorant about the international fandom that some of them still believe that AF is an anime series actually made in the U.S. or somewhere.
You way of talking looks like you hate your own culture xD
I do love my own culture, but the Japanese DB fandom sucks badly, which is one of the reasons why I'm here.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:21 pm

Hmm, I'm curious to see what type of paper they'll use. I wonder if it'll be glossy paper like the ani-manga or more like the traditional manga paper that Viz used for it's VizBig books.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:35 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Hmm, I'm curious to see what type of paper they'll use. I wonder if it'll be glossy paper like the ani-manga or more like the traditional manga paper that Viz used for it's VizBig books.
Good question.
I would think it will basically be Kanzenban fully colorized - albeit with possibly more chapters per volume as mentionned by Herms -, with the same kind of paper. It seems enough to display good quality color pictures in the Kanzenban.
But Anime Comics glossy paper is indeed a possibility too. That would be weird for me to see that kind of paper with a Kanzenban size (if it is indeed Kanzenban-sized) and to see the manga panels on glossy paper for the first time, but in the end, it's not impossible at all.

I trust they'll make the right choice for maximum quality, I'm fine with either of those possibilities.
I'm just so not used to the idea of Toriyama's manga panels - colorized or not - being on glossy paper that I can't even picture what it would be like between my hands right now. :)

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:32 pm

Is it really that odd that they would pick the scene when Goku arrives and meets the Saiyans? You know, that scene where it looks like the main characters have a chance of winning?

Other than that, I do find the colorization to be quite underwhelming. All of it seems rather dull. It's really apparent when compared to panels that were already in color. Those are just brimming with life and these are just...ugh.

It's rather appropriate that the coloring matches the coloring on SD. Both projects could've been so much more.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Jackal puFF
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:38 pm

Yay! Can't wait to grab these!

Raykugen
Regular

Post by Raykugen » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:59 pm

Anyone could translate that?
Do you want NEW GENERATION DRAGON BALL (Z, GT..) IMAGES? In HQ? Of all characters? Click here: http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=17178
My Deviantart: http://raykugen.deviantart.com/
Dragon Ball Characters Project Deviantart: http://dbcproject.deviantart.com/

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:02 pm

We already updated with all the relevant information much earlier today, which is exactly where that image is being pulled from.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:07 pm

kei17 wrote:
Raykugen wrote:
kei17 wrote:They simply don't care whatever happens overseas. They're so xenophobic and ignorant about the international fandom that some of them still believe that AF is an anime series actually made in the U.S. or somewhere.
You way of talking looks like you hate your own culture xD
I do love my own culture, but the Japanese DB fandom sucks badly, which is one of the reasons why I'm here.
I always imagine that it would be better :) . I think the only down side with the manga being in color is that you will have people saying that they think the color manga is better because it's not in black and white. We still sadly live in a world were the younger generation won't read or watching in B&W.
PS4 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Hellspawn28
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GS27/

oXdanXo
Regular

Post by oXdanXo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:49 pm

Yeah, I might finally be able to read the manga, could never focus on the black and white pictures.
Next to get; Leged of Saiyan figures and Freeza's force

If anyone sees
Any of the Legend of Saiyan line going cheapish
Or any other Banpresto DBZ figure :)

If anyone has a cooler steelbook dvd that wants to sell it (prefer new but used is fine) when/if the dragon box movies comes out contact me :)

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:18 pm

Herms wrote:3 volumes for the Saiyan arc and 5 for Freeza means these will be slightly larger than the Kanzenban, which have a little over 3 for the Saiyans and a little less than 6 for Freeza, for a total of 9 volumes versus the 8 this set will have.

Wonder if they'll do anything to change the last chapter of the Freeza arc? As-is, the wrap-up with everyone getting wished back leads directly into Mecha Freeza and Cold approaching Earth, with no chapter break in between. It'd be kind of an odd way to end this run of color manga, unless they plan on following up with the android/Cell stuff.
If they do that, we'll never here the end of the "AT intended to end at Freeza!" claims. :lol: Some fans might take this as proof that the story was never meant to go that far.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:24 am

I think it looks pretty good for what is essentially coloring in the black and white images from the manga.

It was never going to look as detailed as the original color pages. I'm excited!

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:02 am

The waiting is gonna be hard, especially when you're eager to find out about how every single page will be recolored...

I wish books could magically have an equivalent to DLC: "you already have the Kanzenban, just pay a little extra and it will instantly add those new colors to your edition right now, February 2013, wherever you are in the world".

I wish they would release it in free digital format, like they did with the first arc.
Then having all pages in color on my computer screen as they are released would be some sort of demo and it would be easier to wait for having the actual, local paper release between my hands in a few years.

It will be like the original color pages: I discovered a glimpse of them in the Daizenshuu 1 as a little kid, but I had to wait for like 15 years before I could actually start discovering them for real.
If only manga editions could work in simultaneous worldwide release, for all of us to be able to enjoy it all at the same time...

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:51 am

It'll be a long and hard wait before we even find out if there will be an English release at all. Personally, I'll order the Japanese ones as soon as possible so I don't miss the chance forever because they're limited productions or something.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:15 pm

I wonder how well are they gonna re-draw the places which originally were colored in black (like Vegeta, pretty much most of the time).

Son Satan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Satan » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:57 pm

hleV wrote:I wonder how well are they gonna re-draw the places which originally were colored in black (like Vegeta, pretty much most of the time).
I'd think, like somebody mentioned earlier in the thread, that it would be like a Kai-style vector recolored.
DanielGClapp wrote:Every time my dad sees anything anime, he always say "When are these goddam Japs gonna learn how to draw?".

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:34 pm

Now that I think about it, it will almost give us a lot of fully colored Toriyama artworks, completing the "Daizenshuu 1" with more than 300 color illustrations if they go on until the actual ending!
After all, all the title pages will now be fully colorized, and many are interesting! 8)
The "Daizenshuu 1" pictures that were actually title pages will also have an alternative, digitally-recolorized official version.