Live Action Dragon Ball Web Series - "Runaways"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Appūru-sama
Not-So-Newbie

Live Action Dragon Ball Web Series - "Runaways"

Post by Appūru-sama » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:22 am

Interesting and endearing twist of the classic introduction of Goku and Bulma...

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... s/?a=70576

ChahikoDBZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Live Action Dragon Ball Web Series - "Runaways"

Post by ChahikoDBZ » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:34 am

That was interesting. I can't wait to see the next episodes. I don't think Bulma reacted right when Goku shot himself and was still okay but overall it was good.
(Fanfiction link coming soon.)

Usingnero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Usingnero » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:05 pm

That was actually pretty interesting, unlike Evolution, I welcome this difference in story.
I enjoy the Dragon Ball original AND Dub, even the VHS Fan-Sub's.
Supporter of fan made AF material, NOT a fanfiction reader.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Trunks: She's standing right over their...
Goku: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, BULMA'S YOUR MOTHER?!

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:59 pm

That was okay, it was kinda weird. They still haven't got Goku's personality down and the whole gun scene was weird.
You must have faith in who you are.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:52 pm

Wow. I'm amazed that worked as well as it did. I definitely want to see more of this, if only to see how it you would adapt (Or cut) some of the stories to get it to work in a more realistic vein.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:53 pm

The acting is a bit awkward but I feel this is how a Dragonball film should be done. It's not perfect but it's going in the right direction.

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:06 pm

Yeah the acting isn't great but you wouldn't expect anything exceptional from a fan made version. I have to say I enjoyed it! I wouldn't mind seeing more actually.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:09 pm

I found it to be pretty boring. I might check out the second episode.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:51 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Appūru-sama
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Appūru-sama » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:24 pm

Differences like Goku's lack of his trademark naive cheerfulness, log cabin instead of Chinese styled house, and omission of futuristic Capsule Corp technology aside...it does seem a whole lot more natural and less awkward that other attempts (DBE, K&K Productions)...

hulkty
Banned

Post by hulkty » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:57 pm

Bad acting from Bulma's character. Goku is out of character, but that could change. I can give it another chance or 2.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:24 pm

I felt it was very bland visually. Gokuu and Blooma didn't look like anything special, both of their outfits were just too normal. I'll give it another chance however, I do think they are heading in the right direction in terms of making a Dragon Ball adaption. I just hope they have a little more fun with it and add something visually appealing, I mean, this is Dragon Ball.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:57 pm

Dragon Ball Goku: Happy-go-lucky, hyper, ambitious, cheerful, enthusiastic, innocent
Runaways Goku: Serious, calm, reserved, reluctant, serious

:? :? :?
:? :? :?
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Jodaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jodaku » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:30 pm

I liked it. As a grounded, more reality-based adaptation of DB, it works. In the long run, it would be nice if it injects some of DB's trademark fun into it, but all in all I'm definitely interested in following how this progresses.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:27 pm

I like how this is an adaptation without it being so... well, let's just say nobody's calling him Geeko anytime soon. There's an element of originality to this adaptation that will keep it on my radar.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:45 pm

I wasn't sure what to expect when I started to watch this, but I liked it quite a bit. It's got my interest more than that Saiyan Saga trailer thing anyway.

The acting is pretty stiff on some parts, but for a fan film I'm always willing to give more leeway for that than I am in any official kind of production. Goku and Bulma do look a little plain here too, but I think that was on purpose - did anyone notice that, if you didn't already know what you were watching, there was no indication of what this was until the end? It gives off this actually really dire feeling when the audio goes out slowly, and Goku shoots himself in the head with the gun, then you only find out who they are and what this is at the end of it.

If they can put together some kind of budget for by the time they reach later stuff in this (like Shenron's summoning), then this could shape up to be pretty cool.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Fulicer
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fulicer » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:13 am

The constant ambient music is a bit strange and should be silenced for the most part.

Overall it's pretty well done and feels realistic and "down to earth." But it's a bit too dull. Goku's character feels boring (instead of cheerful and confident), and while Bulma shows a bit of her self-centered self, she is also a bit bland. Not sure why they made these changes.

I'm a bit sleepy right now, but did Bulma call Goku by his name without any kind of introduction? Maybe I should watch it again

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:12 am

As an "inspired by Dragonball" type of series, I'm really diggin' it! While some people seem to have reservations about Bulma and Goku looking rather normal, their personalities not reflecting Dragonball as much, or Goku's house looking like a North American style log cabin, I'm actually more worried about what they're going to make of Bulma's home life. I hope it turns out to be more of a misunderstanding or normal teenage rebellion (like in how she acquired the gun) rather than some sort of abuse. I'd rather not imagine Bulma's parents as the parents from Natural Born Killers or something.

In any case, this looks like something I'll be following for awhile as I see it pop up on my YouTube feed. I found their YouTube channel for anyone who wants to subscribe.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Jackal puFF

Post by Jackal puFF » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:13 am

I don't like Bulma.. :evil: The gun scene reminded me of Smallville. It is interesting though.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:56 am

AnimeMaakuo wrote:I didn't like it very much. =\.
Same here. There was no Dragonball feel at all.