Another Resurgence for Dragon Ball Franchise?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Another Resurgence for Dragon Ball Franchise?

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:24 pm

It seems to me that we are having one heck of year for Dragon Ball. We are getting full theaterical movie, full-color manga volumes, guides, international Z Kai for Boo arc, etcs. It certainly feels like 2002 all over again. What do you think?
Last edited by DragonBalllKaiHD on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Re: Another Revival for Dragon Ball Franchise?

Post by Insertclevername » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:39 pm

It does seem like it. Hopefully this will also reflect on the games?
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:17 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:27 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:Maybe Toei will finally restore the Dragon Box color issue we're all having... :roll:
I doubt it....

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:39 pm

I don't think it will quite get to the levels of the early 2000s, but it's definitely more popular right now than it has been since.

Don't forget, the series became popular in the US when it had Toonami backing it, and, frankly, neither the rebooted Toonami nor Nicktoons can match the success of classic Toonami.

Oh, and it's not running in Shonen Jump anymore, either.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:58 pm

Sure, Toonami backed up back in early 2000s, and it was a huge hit, but it also helps when Nicktoon had Z Kai backing up. It was pretty popular too.

Don't forget we also had Budokai HD released last month, which I find it funny because it was exactly 10 years ago when we first had original Budokai when the year of Dragon Ball Revival hit.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:01 pm

I saw a post that was made about dragon ball games with selections, so maybe there is hope for a better dbz game unlike the previous 2 which sucked.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:11 pm

Revival, Resurrection, resurgence, call it what you want I'm loving every minute of it :D .
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:26 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Sure, Toonami backed up back in early 2000s, and it was a huge hit, but it also helps when Nicktoon had Z Kai backing up. It was pretty popular too.

Don't forget we also had Budokai HD released last month, which I find it funny because it was exactly 10 years ago when we first had original Budokai when the year of Dragon Ball Revival hit.
Well, yeah, it was pretty popular for Nicktoons. Nicktoons still isn't the ratings giant Toonami was.

And yeah, we did have an HD Collection released recently, but, well, it's not like the Jack and Daxter HD Collection sparked a revival of that franchise. Really, video game releases aren't the best way to gauge how popular Dragon Ball is currently. I mean, Ultimate Tenkaichi was released.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:37 pm

Insertclevername wrote:It does seem like it. Hopefully this will also reflect on the games?
Don't count much on that unless you're gonna play after taking some margaritas or tekila shots. :lol:
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:40 pm

Oh, and don't take me as being "that guy". I just think that expecting a "revival" of Dragon Ball is a bit overboard.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:41 pm

I think it's awesome! :D Now we all we gotta do is hope that we can get the original Dragonball Dragon-boxes and we'll really be rocking! :P
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:44 pm

I think Resurgence is a better term. You can't really say Dragon Ball was dead prior to this year.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Another Resurgence for Dragon Ball Franchise?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:42 pm

Maybe in Japan, but not here in the US. Sorry, I think DBZ will never be the same as it was from 1996 - 2003. I don't care really since I like how things are right now.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:44 pm

One thing we can say is that we fans are damn lucky to still be getting fresh material out of a 27-year-old franchise like Dragon Ball, when it seemed as if everyone had given up on it after Kai.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:45 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Maybe in Japan, but not here in the US. Sorry, I think DBZ will never be the same as it was from 1996 - 2003. I don't care really since I like how things are right now.
Pretty much, it was the original run if you will of the series for most Americans. Now everyone is familiar with it, it's not new anymore and anything that is new may make it more popular again but never like when it was "the new big thing" like Toonami made it.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:10 pm

It's not a real revival to me, but it's at least something. A real rebirth would be a new manga and/or anime being a continuation of DBZ.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:31 pm

CaBrPi wrote:I just think that expecting a "revival" of Dragon Ball is a bit overboard.
I think this always happen with any fan base when we get new stuff. When Kai was coming people thought that it will be like the 90's and early 2000's again that we will see so much merchandise being sold in stores. It seems like nothing really changed that much since Kai came out in the US. The show did introduced new fans to the series, but it didn't make it popular again like it was from 1996 - 2003.

I guess kids now these need their parents to buy DBZ toys on the Internet now these days. I guess kids now these days won't know what it's like going to the toy store and buying toys.
She/Her

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:46 pm

Looks that way and I'm hoping that 2013 will be the year for Dragon Ball, even if it doesn't hit off over here in the UK I'm hoping that there is an increased awareness in the US and it'd be great to see some DBZ in my local stores like days gone by.

Though I'm not sure if anything is going to hit the US or UK until quite late 2013 or even 2014 as we're gonna have to wait for any new material like the movie to be dubbed first. But yeah it's looking like Dragon Ball is trying to raise awareness in the franchise again.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:01 pm

Why does Dragon Ball need to be popular again in the US? It's not like Dragon Ball is going to be die out forever and people will forget about it. You will always have people that remember and love Dragon Ball. Enjoy DB's current presence as it is.
She/Her