The Chōzenshū databook thread: speculation, discussion, etc.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: The Chōzenshū databook thread: speculation, discussion,

Post by B » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:26 pm

Aren't there anime pieces in the Chogashu, and the only reason we ever got a domestic Daizenshuu #1 was because it was completely manga-only?

(I know FUNimation doesn't dabble in books/manga, but you'd think they'd make a lone exception for DB and try to cooperate with Viz or something.)
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:06 pm

B wrote:Aren't there anime pieces in the Chogashu, and the only reason we ever got a domestic Daizenshuu #1 was because it was completely manga-only?

(I know FUNimation doesn't dabble in books/manga, but you'd think they'd make a lone exception for DB and try to cooperate with Viz or something.)
Nope, Chogashu is manga-only (except for the BoG images and some sketches for anime-related guidebooks).
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

the original ero-sennin
Beyond Newbie

Post by the original ero-sennin » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:13 pm

Broke down and ordered the Chōgashū from an affiliate with fulfillment through Amazon for ¥3500. Picked up the 3rd and 4th Chōzenshū books while I was at it. Hopefully all the orders go through and I'm finally able to complete that collection.

Myztik

Post by Myztik » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:36 pm

Hi does anyone know when the Chozenshuu Vol. 4 interview comes out? I've been waiting patiently =3. I didn't see an update for it in a while so I was worried I missed it.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:36 am

I received the Chogashu today, so I'll mostly repeat what's already been said in Kanzenshuu's review and various comments here, but:

- The quality is nothing short of AMAZING! Compared to the Daizenshu (the French edition at least, but it might also be that fifteen years on my shelf have washed out colors), the clarity and vividness of the colors is stunning! Level of restitution quality: awesome!!

- I knew the book was thick with thick paper from the review and comments here, but I didn't imagine it would be THAT thick, it's very impressive, it's thicker than what you imagine when people tell you it's really thick or even show you photos.

- As mentionned a lot of times, some pictures that were big are now small, but some pictures that were small are now big, so it's a give-and-take, complementary with the Daizenshu.

- Some pictures have alternative color schemes compared to what they were in the first Daizenshuu, for example with Goku's undershirt being grey instead of blue, young Trunks' eyes being purple instead of blue, or even the final "goodbye" picture shown in the manga now being fully colored.

- Due to the thickness of it all, there's no way you'll be able to scan double pages - crushing it flat on your scanner would likely give you a hard time for a disastrous result both on the resulting picture and on your book's pages -, not without hurting your book (likely tearing apart the pages). And trust me, I doubt that anyone would dare to harm such a beauty once it's in their hands. Even scanning one page - a usually easy task keeping half of the book suspended out of the scanner- might prove to be quite unusually hard given how thick and unflexible the book is. So yeah, if you buy it, buy it mostly to watch in your hands, not with the hope of scanning it all and watching it on your computer!

Overall, I am even more satisfied than I imagined, and the book is even more impressive than what it seems through photos and comments!
If there's only one Dragon Ball import you must perform, that's the one! 8)

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:19 am

Myztik wrote:Hi does anyone know when the Chozenshuu Vol. 4 interview comes out? I've been waiting patiently =3. I didn't see an update for it in a while so I was worried I missed it.
They'll be ready when they're ready. My job and my family are first and foremost at the moment. First-term finals are in about three weeks, at which point I'll be able to work on them more steadily again, barring any unforeseen circumstances. In the meantime, Mike and I are trying to get content up on the site that's been sitting around finished for ages, but got pushed to the wayside as we tried not to drown in the news deluge that was Battle of Gods.

Speaking of family, it's my mother's 59th birthday. Wish her many happy returns if you see her.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:02 pm

I did check out how scans can work, and it's as I expected: you can get the "outside-wards" half of a page, so you'd better hope that the artwork you want on your computer is on this side of the page.
It's too bad cause some of the new "post-Daizenshu 1" artworks are absolutely stunning! But half is better than nothing, as long as the main character is in there, you can cope with the fact that half of the landscape/characters is out of the picture (literally), depending on what you want to use it for (for example as an avatar). 8)

It's very rare to have a book this thick!

Anyway, I love a lot of those new post-Daizenshu artworks, but I must say I have special affection for the "20th anniversary" one (for those who have the book, it's page 183), it's refreshing!

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:29 pm

Cold Skin wrote:I did check out how scans can work, and it's as I expected: you can get the "outside-wards" half of a page, so you'd better hope that the artwork you want on your computer is on this side of the page.
It's too bad cause some of the new "post-Daizenshu 1" artworks are absolutely stunning! But half is better than nothing, as long as the main character is in there, you can cope with the fact that half of the landscape/characters is out of the picture (literally), depending on what you want to use it for (for example as an avatar). 8)

It's very rare to have a book this thick!

Anyway, I love a lot of those new post-Daizenshu artworks, but I must say I have special affection for the "20th anniversary" one (for those who have the book, it's page 183), it's refreshing!
My favorite is the one of Goku doing the Genkidama with Satan in the foreground from 2011 (it was made as a "thank you" for the support regarding the earthquake in Japan that year).
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:38 pm

omegalucas wrote: My favorite is the one of Goku doing the Genkidama with Satan in the foreground from 2011 (it was made as a "thank you" for the support regarding the earthquake in Japan that year).
I can understand that, it's one of the most beautiful of the "post-Daizenshu" pictures, I was eager to have it, there's a lot of details and it looks gorgeous printed on this book with the picture and message having their full page! 8)
Easily one of my favorites! Plus, it's not everyday that you get a chance to see an exclusive green Genki Dama! :)

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:54 pm

So, is there anything new & important in Chozenshuu 4?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

nicrimo

Dragon Ball sequels

Post by nicrimo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:38 am

Hi,

The Chozenshuu 1 hints thare are Dragon Ball's untold stories? Is it true? What does that exactly say?

Thanks a lot

JeffJarrett
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Dragon Ball sequels

Post by JeffJarrett » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:42 pm

nicrimo wrote:Hi,

The Chozenshuu 1 hints thare are Dragon Ball's untold stories? Is it true? What does that exactly say?

Thanks a lot
Those are the future films, OVA, etc.

MrKaytos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrKaytos » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:38 pm

Planeta DeAgostini will release Dragon Ball Chozenshuu and Chogashuu in Spain in 2014. It's confirmed: http://www.misiontokyo.com/noticias/130 ... chogashuu-

fogdark
Beyond Newbie

Post by fogdark » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:02 pm

MrKaytos wrote:Planeta DeAgostini will release Dragon Ball Chozenshuu and Chogashuu in Spain in 2014. It's confirmed: http://www.misiontokyo.com/noticias/130 ... chogashuu-
That's awesome! I might actually get them, if I see them, then. Or I'll probably just end up ordering them online.
Yes, Goku visited me once. He turned to me while I was still speechless, and said, "You've drank too much"...

My Teepublic Store
My Redbubble Store

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:06 pm

I'm really hoping Viz will throw us a bone and license these for the US. We never did get the daizenshuu except for one of them (and even then it was put out here almost as more of an artbook than anything else), so it'd be awesome to finally get them in some capacity.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Red Tiger

Post by Red Tiger » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:27 am

MrKaytos wrote:Planeta DeAgostini will release Dragon Ball Chozenshuu and Chogashuu in Spain in 2014. It's confirmed: http://www.misiontokyo.com/noticias/130 ... chogashuu-
Dragon Ball Chōzenshū will be available in April 2014 and Dragon Ball Chogashū in November 2014. They did not mention anything about Dragon Ball Chōzenshū beeing the first of 4 guide books, let's see if Planeta DeAgostini intend to release the other three books.