VIZ 3-in-1 Editions Coming Summer 2013

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: VIZ 3-in-1 Editions Coming Summer 2013

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:19 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
So Viz has postponed the Full Colour comics for the 3-in-1 too bad that the 3-in-1 isn't high quality or everyone here at Kanzenshuu would be praising it.
I think they would be perfect if they were like the Evangelion 3-in-1s. Maybe because Dragon Ball has VIZBIGS or a wider fanbase they figured they could do it cheaper?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:31 pm

Since the next volume is coming up, is there any censorship to look out for in volumes 19, 20 & 21 (3,4&5)?

I dont expect to see translation or text censorship fixed but list em here just in case :D

Also, Release date updates:

ImageDragon Ball Vol. 7: (19, 20 & 21) – December 2, 2014
ImageDragon Ball Vol. 8:(22, 23 & 24)– March 3, 2015
Dragon Ball Vol. 9: (25, 26, 27) – June 2, 2015
Dragon Ball Vol. 10: (28, 29, 30) – September 1, 2015

rzerox21xx
Not-So-Newbie

Post by rzerox21xx » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:22 pm

so I just got the newest volume and disappointed that they skipped some chapters on the chapter cover gallery. one of my favorites 218. :|
however Nappa did say "you see him soon, in hell!". doesn't he say afterlife in the vizbig and regular gn?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:25 pm

rzerox21xx wrote:so I just got the newest volume and disappointed that they skipped some chapters on the chapter cover gallery. one of my favorites 218. :|
I'm wondering if there going to include them in another volume (doubt it) or fix it later (a censored panel got through as well as some dialogue)

rzerox21xx
Not-So-Newbie

Post by rzerox21xx » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:55 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:
rzerox21xx wrote:so I just got the newest volume and disappointed that they skipped some chapters on the chapter cover gallery. one of my favorites 218. :|
I'm wondering if there going to include them in another volume (doubt it) or fix it later (a censored panel got through as well as some dialogue)
which panel was censored?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:59 pm

rzerox21xx wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:
which panel was censored?
Just one of Gohan after he transformed back into a human after going ape. Not a biggie

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:02 pm

If Viz never gets around to putting out a definitive version of the Dragon Ball manga, I might just have to import the Japanese Kanzenbans for the quality artwork and buy the cheapest Viz release for the translation...

I'm sure I'm not the only person around here crazy enough to do that. :lol:
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:26 pm

I thought about it, but if I never look at em it doesnt make a difference lol.

Found the panned. I can see how they missed it so it doesn't bother me.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:22 pm

Are the madman books just the VIZ ones (paper quality and all)?
http://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/view ... nga-vol-01

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:59 pm

TheRed259 wrote:I hadn't seen these volumes in Greek store shelves before so I decided to buy the most recent one. All I have to say is that apart from the thin paper, everything else is fine.
Are they the VIZ ones? I just hope they're carful with the future volumes with typos and such. I just pre-ordered the next volume

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:41 am

Are there any English Manga comparison guides around? I'm new to buying the Manga and would like to know why there are different releases of it?

Like these two box sets.. they equal 42 issues, so are they the same as the Japanese 'Tankōbon' versions? Kanzenshuu doesn't cover any of the English stuff, so i need your help! :)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:15 pm

TheRed259 wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:Are they the VIZ ones?
Of course. What else could they be? XD
True true....xD My bad xDD
LordCrumb wrote:Are there any English Manga comparison guides around? I'm new to buying the Manga and would like to know why there are different releases of it?

Like these two box sets.. they equal 42 issues, so are they the same as the Japanese 'Tankōbon' versions? Kanzenshuu doesn't cover any of the English stuff, so i need your help! :)
They are the same as the Japanese versions (minus splitting up Dragon Ball and Z)
For Dragon Ball, I believe they are edited (However, if you buy the new singles on Amazon they are like 99% uncut (atleast vol 1-3 are because I bought those)
Left: Single Volume
Right: 3-in-1

Dragon Ball Z is pretty much uncut up until around vol 16? Guns and such get changed to be more futuristic while curing starts disappearing

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:15 am

Has anyone spotted any uncut re-prints of Volume 1? They were supposed to be out later last month

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:16 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Has anyone spotted any uncut re-prints of Volume 1? They were supposed to be out later last month
So, I visited a Barnes and Noble in Huntington Beach, CA this morning, and saw the omnibus editions. For kicks, I grabbed the first volume, checked the first page and behold! It said "Second Printing-November 2014". I flipped through to the pages that would typically have been censored, and Viz was true to their word. All penises and boobs are restored properly. The only page I forgot to check was the one where Bulma has some censored dialog (where it actually covers the words to say "CENSORED"). I also stupidly didn't take any pictures. But hey, this looks like Viz at least kind of cares. Now if only they would fix "Hercule" "Djinn" and "Vegerot", I would consider buying this release.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:45 pm

Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:Now if only they would fix "(the H-word)" "Djinn" and "Vegerot", I would consider buying this release.
Out of those three only the first is wrong.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:01 pm

The latter is "acceptable", but not technically right. It's still a name change, even if it does have logic behind it.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:13 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:The latter is "acceptable", but not technically right. It's still a name change, even if it does have logic behind it.
They use, as they should, Kakarot instead of Kakarotto, since the pun is on the english word "carrot". That is the most correct way of going about is name. However, that implies that they either use Vegetto, which in this context wouldn't be right since there is no Kakarotto, or they use a translation that isn't a straightforward literal translation of the original name but one that uses the same logic that the name Vegetto uses, combining Vegeta and Kakarot (aka Vegerot).

So, I will disagree with you in it being merely "acceptable". Its not wrong at all. In fact, in this context, personal preferences aside, its probably the most correct choice because it preserves the coherence of their translation while still following all of the intent of the original text.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:50 pm

There was no need to explain it, I said there was logic behind the choice of using Vegerot. Even with the logical approach they took though, it doesn't change the fact that they altered a characters name (which Viz actually did more than they should have: The Jiggler, Full Metal Jacket, etc). The issue spawns less from Vegetto's name and more from translating Kakarotto as "Kakarrot" in the first place (not that they are wrong for doing it, but it seems pointless given knowledge of latter events). There's no hard rule stating it had to be translated as Kakarrot though, as if that was the only correct choice. There are multiple name puns in Dragon Ball that don't perfectly reflect the source word, and Kakarotto still accomplishes the task of having a carrot pun name just fine. but with the added issue of being the source of half of Vegetto's name, there really was no reason to remove the extra "to" and change Vegetto's name down the line.

Pronunciation, in my opinion, should take precedence (more so in the anime, but still). Sure, Viz took a logical approach and remained kind of consistent (they dropped the double "rr"), but it's more of an adaptation than a translation of the name. So while the spirit/intention remains, you lose what the characters should be saying: ベジット.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)