How do you personally pronounce "Saiyan"?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Insertclevername
I Live Here

How do you personally pronounce "Saiyan"?

Post by Insertclevername » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:54 pm

I pronounce it the way it's supposed to, as in "Sai-yan". I used to say the way Funimation says it, "Sei-yan", but after watching the podcast so much, the original way just stuck. Honestly, I'd like to know how the rest of the forum says it, since it's impossible to tell via text based posts.
Last edited by Insertclevername on Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: How do you personally pronounce "Saiyan"?

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:56 pm

'Sigh-yawn', or Saiya with an 'n' (サイヤン).
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:01 am

I switched over to "saiyajin" from "seiyajin" a while back after learning that I was pronouncing it incorrectly beforehand due to Funi. So..."sighuhjin" I guess?

Similar thing with "Goku"; I now emphasize the second syllable like it's pronounced in Japanese.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:03 am

I pronounce it the FUNi way. It's just too ingrained in me and I don't ever hear it pronounced properly so I never remember how it's supposed to be pronounced.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:03 am

Sei-yain, since most of my fan friends are dub fans; none of them would really care if I used the real pronunciation, its just what I'm used too.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:05 am

Saiga wrote:I pronounce it the FUNi way. It's just too ingrained in me and I don't ever hear it pronounced properly so I never remember how it's supposed to be pronounced.
This. :p
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:11 am

I just say Saiyan. I stick with the english terms that work as good substitutes (unlike Special Beam Canon, Tri Beam, Tien, Frieza). Saiyan(Sayin) is a good english term for Saiya-jin. Like how I prefer Krillin over Kuririn. Krillin is a good translation from Kuririn.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:20 am

Back and forth between the original Saiya-jin and SIGH-yun, its closest English counterpart.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:21 am

The same as the English dub pronounces it.

Waaaay too ingrained into my mind for me to be converted to Cyan.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:21 am

Say-an, of course.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:23 am

Well, I grew up with "Say-yan," but ever since I used "Sye-yan" and ever now and then I say "Say-yan" by accident.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:41 am

The FUNimation way. Between the dub and DBZ Abridged, it's just the pronunciation that I instinctively associate with the word. Similar deal with "Krillin" instead of "Kuririn" (although I was told in a thread on Kanzenshuu way back that "Krillin" was considered an acceptable romanization of "Kuririn," so I don't feel quite as bad about that one).
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:01 am

Yeah, I sometimes say Krillin, but I usually just call him Kuririn. I do, however, type out Kuririn regardless of how I feel like saying his name.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:18 am

What Chuquita said. SIGH-en and Go-KOO.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:20 am

I switch between the two all of the time.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:23 am

Gonstead wrote:The same as the English dub pronounces it.

Waaaay too ingrained into my mind for me to be converted to Cyan.
In the same boat, just like how it is with Ryu and Sakura from Street Fighter. (Know the proper way for both, but can't do it despite knowing how it is and SFIV doing it right).

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:57 am

I just say it like the Funimation Dub :P
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:01 am

For some reason I always feel like I'm saying it the Funi way, but apparently I say it the original way (judging from the latest podcast anyway). I'm not very good at controlling how I pronounce stuff, when it comes to this or anything. What comes out of my mouth is pretty much a crapshoot.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:07 am

Herms wrote:For some reason I always feel like I'm saying it the Funi way, but apparently I say it the original way (judging from the latest podcast anyway). I'm not very good at controlling how I pronounce stuff, when it comes to this or anything. What comes out of my mouth is pretty much a crapshoot.
You said it both ways, actually. Well, you only said it the FUNi way once that I noticed.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:17 am

It's probably pretty easy to figure out how I pronounce it, thanks to the podcast, but I treat it like it's a Japanese-based name (which it is) -- sigh-ya-n. If anything, it's a fun discussion point in public when I actually talk Dragon Ball with people.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::