Anyone catch this?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
DaemonCorps
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1763
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:38 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Anyone catch this?

Post by DaemonCorps » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:00 am

Initial thoughts: it very much could have just been a typo, but having higher hopes than that always leads to better discussion so...

Assuming this is true, it would give Funi an excuse to pick back up DBZ's Blu Ray releases as well (I honestly don't feel like too much time has passed since they were dropped so they could sneakily continue the line without mainstream consumers knowing they were dropped in the first place). Sure, Funimation's had their flubs in the past when it's come to remastering things, but there has been a noticeable improvement with their remastering process with later releases, IIRC, so I'd definitely be open to the possibility of them releasing the original DB on Blu Ray.

Whatever the case is, DB/Z/GT is one of Funi's cash cows, so a re-release for any one of the series is bound to happen eventually.
Herms wrote:Of course, the Funi dub actually was produced in discreet seasons, but these don't correspond to the Season Set divisions.
That would be interestingly hilarious to see the seasons split up according to how they were aired on American TV. Actually, the Tiny Toons DVDs split up their season 1 into a "season 1, vol 1" and "season 1, vol 2" set since that initial season was so long, so seeing a similar naming convention done for DB wouldn't all *that* out there.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
BLOG | twitter | webcomic | tumblr | Fandom Post

User avatar
Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:08 pm
Location: Las Vegas
Contact:

Re: Anyone catch this?

Post by Krycek7o2 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:06 am

Herms wrote:
Krycek7o2 wrote:Thank you! That's all you need! Volume, followed by a number. But, yet again that's not common with DVD releases.
"Season" is commonly used with DVD/Blu-Ray releases because most TV shows are produced in distinct seasons.
I was mainly referring to Dragon Ball in general. Trust me, I have way too much TV on DVD/Blu-ray to make a mistake like that. 8)
Cipher wrote:
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Anyway, the Cowboy Bebop remaster is something that was done by the Japanese. I will leave remastering anime to the Japanese. Which is why I refuse to (knowingly) buy any of Funimation's remastered stuff (unless it's the only possible option, and even then reluctantly). It's not their place to remaster anything. They didn't make the show. I'm not interested in how they think I should watch it.
I'm really tired of your "It always has to be Toei, not Funimation!!11!!" remarks. What Funimation did to the Level sets was how it was supposed to look in the first place, not Dragon Box. They did better than Pony Canyon ever did.
Come on, now, let's be fair.

For all we know, the Criterion Collection is actually the bane of penguintruth's existence.

Edit - I like that he leaves in the possibility of buying FUNimation's versions by mistake though.
Different strokes for different blokes. Like I stated, I'm fine with whatever higher quality product is out there. I never gave two shits for original title cards or NEPs, but we have people that dismiss a release for not having them. We all fall on different sides of the scale.

And no, Criterion 90% of the time delivers! :thumbup:
Daimakku wrote:I just want the Dragonball dragonboxes (and the movies).. I'm fine with DB/DBZ in DVD format. The show is too old to be that mindblowing in BD. I would only get Battle of Gods in BD.
You haven't seen old-school anime on blu-ray. Trust me, it's well worth it!

User avatar
jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 967
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:13 am
Location: Lynnwood, Washington, USA
Contact:

Re: Anyone catch this?

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:14 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:Ugh, I hope this is a mistake because if it's not, it seems my hopes for a DB Dragon Box, and therefore the Japanese title cards, credits, and actual openings and endings, are lost for good. What disappointing (potential) news. :cry:
My thoughts exactly.
-Joey

User avatar
Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5474
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Nagano
Contact:

Re: Anyone catch this?

Post by Cipher » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:17 am

Krycek7o2 wrote:Different strokes for different blokes. Like I stated, I'm fine with whatever higher quality product is out there. I never gave two shits for original title cards or NEPs, but we have people that dismiss a release for not having them. We all fall on different sides of the scale.

And no, Criterion 90% of the time delivers! :thumbup:
Er, I was joking about penguintruth using the ridiculous idea that only the original production company has the right to remaster material to justify his Japanese fetishism.

User avatar
shreddinghead
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:19 pm
Location: Melmac

Re: Anyone catch this?

Post by shreddinghead » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:20 am

I'm perfectly satisfied with my funimation dvds, the backgroundmusic is dramatic and lively, by which reflects quite well with each situation, the voice actors are very talented. I don't see anything wrong with funimation.

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3548
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Anyone catch this?

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:23 am

penguintruth wrote:It's not their place to remaster anything. They didn't make the show. I'm not interested in how they think I should watch it.
While there's certainly something to be said for the fact that Toei was not directly involved in the remastering process done for the "Level" box sets, it's also worth noting that FUNimation can't release anything without Toei's approval, including the Level sets.

Then again, I'll admit to slight bias here because I think the Level sets look a tad better than the Dragon Boxes. Especially after seeing Kei's video/audio clips of the original TV broadcast, where the footage in the Level sets appear to be closer to the original broadcast footage. I'm convinced that the Dragon Boxes, while not bad, weren't all they were cracked up to be, and that they just looked better to us North American fans than they actually were due to a lack of familiarity with the original broadcast and a rather painful familiarity with the less-than-stellar orange bricks.

This makes me wonder if FUNimation is going back to remaster "Dragon Ball," before returning to "Dragon Ball Z," and then concluding with "Dragon Ball GT." So far, though, I'm siding with the typo theory.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Anyone catch this?

Post by penguintruth » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:30 am

shreddinghead wrote:I'm perfectly satisfied with my funimation dvds, the backgroundmusic is dramatic and lively, by which reflects quite well with each situation, the voice actors are very talented. I don't see anything wrong with funimation.
Brazen inaccuracy in both word and spirit, perhaps?
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5474
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Nagano
Contact:

Re: Anyone catch this?

Post by Cipher » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:35 am

penguintruth wrote:Brazen inaccuracy in both word and spirit, perhaps?
If you're going to pop back in to post nothing other than your usual schtick, can we please talk about how you feel about nearly every competent remaster ever made?

Or am I dead-on in my assumption that the particular artistic stance you expressed last page only applies to Japanese animation? Brazen selectivism, shall we say?

User avatar
AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1713
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:24 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Anyone catch this?

Post by AgitoZ » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:42 am

So, no one's going to mention that whatever remastering FUNi does it will never be the greatest due to the quality of their masters? They may currently have what seems like the best transfer of the show but if Toei ever decides to do the same it will not compare.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

User avatar
DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here
Posts: 2691
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:37 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Anyone catch this?

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:44 am

AgitoZ wrote:So, no one's going to mention that whatever remastering FUNi does it will never be the greatest due to the quality of their masters? They may currently have what seems like the best transfer of the show but if Toei ever decides to do the same it will not compare.
Until Toei correct the film's colors with HD processing, Funimation will always be on the top in term of remastering.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Anyone catch this?

Post by penguintruth » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:49 am

Cipher wrote:
penguintruth wrote:Brazen inaccuracy in both word and spirit, perhaps?
If you're going to pop back in to post nothing other than your usual schtick, can we please talk about how you feel about nearly every competent remaster ever made?

Or am I dead-on in my assumption that the particular artistic stance you expressed last page only applies to Japanese animation? Brazen selectivism, shall we say?
I tend to stay away from remasters done by people uninvolved with the production unless they're the only versions or only decent versions available. And even then I tend not to buy them. Of course there are exceptions, usually because I get impulsive while looking around DVD stores. I'm not proud of it, but it happens.

In anime, I do own the AnimEigo Bubblegum Crisis remaster, but I didn't know AnimEigo did it themselves. I wasn't as savvy about that sort of thing back then. I'd rather have the Japanese Blu-Rays. I have no interest in the remaster of 2040.

And of course I'm more adament about things that apply to anime. Most of what I watch is anime.
Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1713
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:24 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Anyone catch this?

Post by AgitoZ » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:54 am

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Until Toei correct the film's colors with HD processing, Funimation will always be on the top in term of remastering.
You're right, it's as if that was but a footnote in my main point.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

User avatar
Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5880
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Anyone catch this?

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:02 am

AgitoZ wrote:So, no one's going to mention that whatever remastering FUNi does it will never be the greatest due to the quality of their masters? They may currently have what seems like the best transfer of the show but if Toei ever decides to do the same it will not compare.
I was going to say it, but my disappointment at potentially having missed the chance for DBoxes took precedent.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 12/31/19!)
Current Episode: Dragon Ball Z's Four-Hour Movie - DBD TV: The Garlic Jr. Arc

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Anyone catch this?

Post by penguintruth » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:03 am

Also, Criterion lost my support when I discovered Michael Bay films in their collection.

Armageddon, for f***'s sake. These are people who think they're too good for The Shawshank Redemption and they have Armageddon in there.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here
Posts: 2691
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:37 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Anyone catch this?

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:05 am

penguintruth wrote:
Cipher wrote:
penguintruth wrote:Brazen inaccuracy in both word and spirit, perhaps?
If you're going to pop back in to post nothing other than your usual schtick, can we please talk about how you feel about nearly every competent remaster ever made?

Or am I dead-on in my assumption that the particular artistic stance you expressed last page only applies to Japanese animation? Brazen selectivism, shall we say?
I tend to stay away from remasters done by people uninvolved with the production unless they're the only versions or only decent versions available. And even then I tend not to buy them. Of course there are exceptions, usually because I get impulsive while looking around DVD stores. I'm not proud of it, but it happens.

In anime, I do own the AnimEigo Bubblegum Crisis remaster, but I didn't know AnimEigo did it themselves. I wasn't as savvy about that sort of thing back then. I'd rather have the Japanese Blu-Rays. I have no interest in the remaster of 2040.

And of course I'm more adament about things that apply to anime. Most of what I watch is anime.
Still doesn't explain why you refuse to buy a product that is done by a licensed company. If Product A done by a licensed company is superior to Product B, what would you say?
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Anyone catch this?

Post by penguintruth » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:07 am

My problem is with Funimation's philosophy, their courtship with "improving" Dragon Ball and a few other shows. It smacks of arrogance. They carry themselves like they created the franchise or that they made it better.

Also, I find the Level Sets to be a little dull and dark.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
Gonstead
I Live Here
Posts: 3500
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:33 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Anyone catch this?

Post by Gonstead » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:26 am

Instead of a remaster, it could just simply be the Blue-Bricks in Blu-Ray.

Of course that's what most of us thought at the time Z was announced for a remastering with us simply thinking it would be the Orange-Bricks on Blu-Ray but we were proven wrong, so it could be the same thing for this.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

User avatar
samuraix123
I Live Here
Posts: 3683
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:22 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Anyone catch this?

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:12 am

Thanks for this! It could have possibly been a mistake but I'm glad I haven't invested in the Blue Season Sets. I'm still holding out on those Dragon-boxes :D I'm also hoping they pick back up those level sets, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon. if ever :(
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1462
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:10 pm

.

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:35 am

.
Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

User avatar
Perfect
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1865
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:16 am

Re: Anyone catch this?

Post by Perfect » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:57 am

penguintruth wrote: Anyway, the Cowboy Bebop remaster is something that was done by the Japanese. I will leave remastering anime to the Japanese. Which is why I refuse to (knowingly) buy any of Funimation's remastered stuff (unless it's the only possible option, and even then reluctantly). It's not their place to remaster anything. They didn't make the show. I'm not interested in how they think I should watch it.
Argumentum ad antiquitatem, whereby you're adhering to tradition blindly. Just because they (anyone) didn't make the show, by no grounds whatsoever justifies contempt towards a remaster of another nationality. For example, the Japanese remaster of Elvis as Recorded at Madison Square Garden (Paper Sleeve Collection Mini LP) is better than all the other releases of the concert. The Japanese didn't record the concert, nor did they have anything remotely to do with the original LP; however, their remaster turned out to be legendary. If I were to say I'm not interested in how they think I should hear the album, I' be a fallacious fool. To say it's not their place to remaster anything is ridiculous, especially from a marketing strategy perspective. I'd also hardly say Toei should be the authority on how the series should be watched, considering how cheap Kai came out, and the fact they only had mono tapes on many of their Dragon Ball related releases.
Last edited by Perfect on Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Post Reply