Anyone catch this?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Anyone catch this?

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:15 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Oh, geez. Why do I have the feeling Toei picked up a new usage of this "cool, English word" from FUNimation?
Toei's been using the term since 2002 at the earliest, so who knows? :P I seem to remember Kidou Senshi Gundam 00 used the subtitle 'Second Season' in katakana, but I can't remember for sure.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

bjh13

Re: Anyone catch this?

Post by bjh13 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:12 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Put more bluntly, the anime was created with the intent of helping to sell the merchandise in Japan. Over here in North America (and other places), the anime intself ended up being the main product of concern among consumers. Sure, I'm certain that the anime probably helped sell some DB toys over here, but we still regard the anime as the main product nevertheless. With Toei, it's not that they don't care per say, but their primary concern with the DB animes is the money they bring back, not its creative or artistic merits.
It is worth pointing out that Toei isn't unique for this practice. Here in the US most of the favorite "classic" cartoons such as Transformers, Masters of the Universe, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and GI Joe only existed to market toys.