Watching Dragon Ball for 1st time in Japanese

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

coola
I Live Here

Watching Dragon Ball for 1st time in Japanese

Post by coola » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:38 pm

Hello
I own Funi Dragon Boxes for quite long time, as well as DBGT singles, but, i decided to wait with watching, until i got original series as well, so, strarting tommorow, If someone will be interested, i will post my thoughts of every episoode i watched, it will be my first time watching entire series in Japanese, it`s been a while since i watched DB (Last time was in 2003, with French dub and Polish voice over) but i read entire manga, I'm looking forward, to see differences between Manga and Anime :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Watching Dragon Ball for 1st time in Japanese

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:59 pm

I for one would be interested to see your thoughts on it as you go along, as I did this a little while back myself (just on another forum). It's a lot of fun to finally check out that original version if it's the dub you're more used to. ^_^

Reminds me I need to get around to reading the thoughts of the person here who's watching the show for the first time period.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:06 pm

I've got to ask, what do you mean by French dub with Polish voiceover? Was it in Polish? Or French with Polish subs? Just out of curiosity.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:52 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:I've got to ask, what do you mean by French dub with Polish voiceover? Was it in Polish? Or French with Polish subs? Just out of curiosity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=norShkr2k9M
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

mattymoron
Beyond Newbie

Post by mattymoron » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:24 am

The Dragon Boxes have been my first large-scale viewing of the series in Japanese. I'd watched most of the movies and a few of my old DVD singles in Japanese before, but this is the first time I've ever actually made a consistent effort to watch the original series. I'm currently in the middle of the Cell Games, but I won't be able to watch anymore until I head back home from school this weekend.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:04 pm

Episode 1 thoughts
Let`s adventure begin! Interesting episode, nicely setting mood up, Ms. Nozawa and Ms. Tsuru are in top form since 1st episode, i found this episode to be well animated, characters are drawn much better, than in manga counterpart, comparing with manga chapter, there are some things, that are done differently,:
-We see Sabre Tiger debut (he later reappear in DBZ Episode 1, chasing Gohan).
-Pilaf and his gang also appear in this episode, finding DB, and we already see how clumsy Pilaf is.
-New dialogue for Goku and Bulma was written.
-Toei make Goku little pervert, by flipping Bulma dress
-They surprisingly change scene order, in manga, Goku ask Blooma name after they leave Grandpa Gohan house, but in anime, he ask about it during their walk toward house, they deleted scene, when Goku ask if Blooma need Dragon Balls, to make a necklace (With picture of her praying to Buddha), they also cut Blooma dialogue, where she say, that Dragon Balls are send around world again, after you made wish, but doesn`t really matter, since we see it later anyway.
-Overall, only one filler scene didn`t make sense to me, when Goku invite Blooma to Grandpa house, she tell him to "Not try any numbers" but then, she realise, that Goku never saw a girl, so he doesn`t know anything about that, so why she later try to bribe him to get DB, by allowing him to touch her butt?
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:08 pm

coola wrote:-Toei make Goku little pervert, by flipping Bulma dress
If you're talking about when he checks for her tail, didn't that more or less happen in the manga too? I thought I remembered seeing it there...
-Overall, only one filler scene didn`t make sense to me, when Goku invite Blooma to Grandpa house, she tell him to "Not try any numbers" but then, she realise, that Goku never saw a girl, so he doesn`t know anything about that, so why she later try to bribe him to get DB, by allowing him to touch her butt?
I think that was basically her keeping her 'weapon' of sexuality as her own. If she can use it to bribe him, sure, she's all fine and dandy with that. If he tries anything of his own accord though, that's not cool. Just my guess anyway. :lol:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:15 pm

Yes, Goku checked if Blooma have tail in manga too, but he didn`t flip her dress.
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:41 am

I encourage anyone who is on the fence or curious about checking out DB/DBZ in Japanese, at least give it a few episodes (or movies.) Some of the characters' voices may sound very different from what people are used to from the various dubs, but I find that the quirkiness and the earnestness of the original voice actors really add to the charm, and some of the more serious and heartfelt moments in the series really benefit from the original intended dialogue and music.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:50 am

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:43 am

Episode 2 thought
In this episode, we have plenty new stuff
- Long Dr. Slump like scene with Pilaf and Shuu, involving fart jokes, and Dragon Ball searching
- In manga, Goku goes out to get food, and in next panel, he is back already, in anime, we actually see him hunting, and meet Mai and Shuu for the first time, i really enjoyed that part, it got creepy (All these animal skeletons) and funny (Goku mistake Mai and Shuu plane for bird)
- Loved camera view from Turtle eyes, as he crawl toward capsule house, like in horror movies.
- I got used to -san,-chan and other honorifcs, but, wouldn`t it be easier to not use them? I got part, where Blooma is mad, that Goku call her omae (With means "you" but in disrespectful way) and wants to be called Blooma-san, but, wouldn`t it be easier, to just use "you" and "Miss"?
- Overall, i liked this episode, part with Pilaf might not be liked by everyone, but i quite like it, Pilaf and his gang voices are ok, nothing too memorable, but not bad either, Daisuke Gori debute on DB, as Turtle, it`s so sad he is gone, such memorable voice :cry:

I`ve notice two funny things in this episode

1. Oolong debute?

2. At end of episode, Blooma socks are visable at some scenes, and missing at others
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:11 pm

Episode 3 thoughts
Wow, Blooma, seriously, calling yourself pure and modest girl, while flashing your panties to get what you want... Again, we don`t see any new scenes or dialogue for Goku and Bulma, but we see Pilaf and gang again, and certain one-time character i won`t spoil, but his meeting with Pilaf was so funny :D Never ask Turtle Hermit to push your vehicle.
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:08 pm

coola wrote:Episode 3 thoughts
Wow, Blooma, seriously, calling yourself pure and modest girl, while flashing your panties to get what you want... Again, we don`t see any new scenes or dialogue for Goku and Bulma, but we see Pilaf and gang again, and certain one-time character i won`t spoil, but his meeting with Pilaf was so funny :D Never ask Turtle Hermit to push your vehicle.
How are you watching this in Japanese? Do you own it in Japanese? If so, you lucky bastard :lol: .
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:59 am

Episode 4-5 thoughts
Sorry i do two epiosdes at once, but, to be honest, there really isn`t any change to manga in these two episodes, so if there will be Dragon Ball Kai Original, they should be untouched.
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek: