Bulma or Blooma?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Bulma or Blooma?

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:23 pm

Yeah, as I was writing that last part I knew that's how it would end up coming across, and I wasn't explaining it well enough ("alphabet" versus "language"), and all that jazz. Can I just append it by saying that I was trying to transition into what you brought up, which continues to mean that there are no real "answers"...? :P

To be honest, I don't have too much of a problem with a "Bulma" spelling if when pronouncing it you slur over and de-emphasize the "correct" parts. That can come out sounding like "Blooma" perfectly well. People just... don't.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:39 pm

For now on I'm just going to alternate between Blooma and Bulma. But I'm primarily going to use Blooma. The reason is, just as VegettoEX pointed out above, it's a more direct translation, and it also captures the pun. So all in all, a better pronunciation in my opinion. :thumbup:
Last edited by DoomieDoomie911 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:41 pm

I use 'Blooma' myself, as for the reasons Lance stated. This is the same author who uses 'Yajirove' and 'WELL COME', after all. :lol: Not to mention, I do use 'Trunks', rather than a broken English spelling. Had Toriyama written 'Tranks' on Trunks' coat would we all use that instead?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:41 pm

This is all very confusing to me and I think I'll stick to Bulma out of habit. And also because outside of Kanzenshuu nobody will understand me.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:43 pm

It's weird, I think I'm too used to how I pronounce it normally, when I see the 'Bulma' spelling, to read that any other way. So it comes out like 'Buhl-ma', not really quite 'Bull-ma' but not 'Bowl-ma' either, as was mentioned earlier. I dunno. In my defense, I'm Southern - we make up our own words and pronunciations anyway. :roll:

But when I see 'Blooma', I think I am pronouncing that right, so far as I can tell. 'Bloom' like something is blooming, and then an 'ah' sound. Bloom-ah. Right?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:48 pm

I'm leaning more towards following the pronunciation rather than the pun, and to me, Būlma is closer to "Buruma" than Blooma is.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:32 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: But when I see 'Blooma', I think I am pronouncing that right, so far as I can tell. 'Bloom' like something is blooming, and then an 'ah' sound. Bloom-ah. Right?
Yeah, 'bloomer' with a slurred 'er' into 'ah' instead. It's a reverse of how my dad's mom would call my mom (Eva) 'Ever'. O.o
She/Her
bisexual milf

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:13 pm

I absolutely hate "Blooma", so I'm gonna stick with "Bulma". It's what's been with the franchise for decades. Blooma is just a new pun that was popped out of nowhere.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:31 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:I absolutely hate "Blooma", so I'm gonna stick with "Bulma". It's what's been with the franchise for decades. Blooma is just a new pun that was popped out of nowhere.
No, it's been there since the very beginning. The world was round before we learned such.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:43 pm

I always did wonder about the whole Boolma/Bulma sitch. I can't say I like the name Boolma that much, it hasn't really grown on me and I can't see myself using it.

So yeah, if it's still okay to do so on the forum I'll use Bulma.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:11 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Not to mention, I do use 'Trunks', rather than a broken English spelling. Had Toriyama written 'Tranks' on Trunks' coat would we all use that instead?
If the character's name was consistently spelled "Tranks" every single time it was written out in the series or on official merchandise, then I don't think there's be anything strange or illogical in saying "the character's name is spelled 'Tranks' and is a pun on the word 'trunks'". Maybe if the character were an actual pair of men's underwear it'd be different, but fantasy character names based on words don't necessarily need to be spelled exactly the same as the words themselves.

Yes, in Trunks' case the katakana spelling of the character's name is exactly the same as that of the word it's based on, but the alphabet spelling doesn't inherently need to follow suit. In fact, it's arguably a good idea to try and "disguise" the character name's origin in cases where it's close to a common English word to keep it seeming exotic, since in katakana that's probably not going to be as big of a problem, and it's more or less impossible to play around with the katakana spelling without also greatly changing the pronunciation. That's not the route they actually took with Trunks, but it's a valid approach with as much logic behind it as the "spell it as close to the source word as possible" method.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:50 pm

As has been pointed out throughout the thread, "Blooma" is what you are looking for, but everyone I would feasibly talk to about that character is right here on this message board, and you all know who I would be talking about. Have we voted/decided which one we're using for the Wiki?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:49 am

The Burma revolution starts here.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:36 am

Me = Bulma > Blooma
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:38 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Had Toriyama written 'Tranks' on Trunks' coat would we all use that instead?
Probably, because that spelling would've ended up on Japanese merch and stuff, eventually carrying over to future dubs. We wouldn't bat an eyelash at it.

However, he did actually write the name in alphabet as Trunks in "TRUNKS THE STORY," so we're good there. :)
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Sinestro
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sinestro » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:13 pm

It'll always be Bulma to me, but I won't be fazed if Blooma is used in conversation.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:18 pm

I've kind of taken a liking to Blooma as of recent. I might just stick with that.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:23 pm

Sinestro wrote:It'll always be Bulma to me, but I won't be fazed if Blooma is used in conversation.
Same here. I'd be more open to "Blooma" if I hadn't spent and continue to spend my entire fandom reading her name as "Bulma" in just about every single official English adaptation or piece of merchandise out there (and plenty of original Japanese instances, too!). I normally prefer the more pun-preserving spellings of characters' names, too, but in this case, "Blooma" is just plain... outnumbered.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Sinestro
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sinestro » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:59 pm

Kaboom wrote:
Sinestro wrote:It'll always be Bulma to me, but I won't be fazed if Blooma is used in conversation.
Same here. I'd be more open to "Blooma" if I hadn't spent and continue to spend my entire fandom reading her name as "Bulma" in just about every single official English adaptation or piece of merchandise out there (and plenty of original Japanese instances, too!). I normally prefer the more pun-preserving spellings of characters' names, too, but in this case, "Blooma" is just plain... outnumbered.
I hear that.

But you guys are still going to have to beat F-r-i-e-z-a- out of me, though. I'm still a bit slow to that one. Thank Kami for the filter. :)

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:04 pm

More seriously, "Blooma" is too...and I really hesitate to use this word, "hipster".

"Bulma" isn't a wrong transliteration, has huge official backing on both sides of the Pacific, and is the name of a main character who as far as I know has never had any alternative spellings that gained any ground (unlike Goku/Gokuu/Gokuh or Krillin/Kuririn/Kulilin).

It's to bring out the pronunciation, but English pronunciation cares little for spelling.

It's to bring out the pun, but Americans need it explained anyway because what the hell are bloomers, and once explained, Bulma already carries the pun as well or better than, for example, "Saiyan" carries "yasai".

So what good is it besides some otaku cred?