Dragon Ball Training

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Khanage

Dragon Ball Training

Post by Khanage » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:47 am

Has anybody here been motivated to train due to the Dragon Ball series'? I started my training in September and am now training to go into MMA, and I put this all down to Dragon Ball, it's amazingly motivating! Has anyone been doing this for a while? What have you accomplished since taking on this training? I'm interested to know mainly because I haven;t been training for long yet.
You had the fiery will of a Saiyan, please share that with me now

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Re: Dragon Ball Training

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:30 pm

I also started MMA last year. Even though I didn't start this because of Dragon Ball, if I hadn't gotten into Dragon Ball, I doubt I would be as motivated as I am now. I would possibly give up at some point, but Goku taught me to never give up. 8)
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:14 pm

I am waiting for Kendamu to answer. :P

Myself, I started with Martial Arts before starting to read Dragonball. But after reading Dragonball, I would become more motivated in training. :)

mattymoron
Beyond Newbie

Post by mattymoron » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:11 pm

When I was a kid, I used to jump around on my trampoline all day in attempts to harness my ki.

Khanage

Post by Khanage » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:23 pm

mattymoron wrote:When I was a kid, I used to jump around on my trampoline all day in attempts to harness my ki.
LOL!! I used to tense my muscles as hard as possible to try and raise my power level, one day something popped (nothing bad I hope) and I told my gran I had successfully increased my power :D

But I find it amazing how influential DB is, Goku's teaching not to give up is definitely something I've experienced as well and similar to Godo I would watch Goku's Super Saiyan 3 transformation before rugby matches for motivation :P However I am interested to know who Kendamu is, famous for his DB fuelled martial arts experience?

Someone who is very much the image of this thread is MMA fighter Marcus Brimage, who many times sourced his starting of MMA to DBZ, I bet Akira didn't imagine THAT when he first started drawing!

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:34 pm

Lifting is pretty fun while listening to dragonball music.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:24 am

My new years resolution for myself was to "bulk up" and put on some more muscle mass. At the same time, I did a marathon of Kai. Goku's mentality when it comes to training is something to idolize and has kind of been a small influence on me. It's a bit silly but it kind of works.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:13 pm

Been lifting since late 2010. It may or may not be do to Dragon Ball, but Dragon Ball always put an impression on me to better my current self. Thing is, in Dragon Ball they train their entire bodies.... I've been slacking on my legs :?
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Majin Steve
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Steve » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:24 pm

No I went on a trip to China in the summer (a month, touristy stuff but including climbing mountains) and I had already been exercising a lot for 2 years before, but it was then that I decided I wanted to bulk up a bit and began taking protein shakes too, and multivitamins. I was never one for cardio but I'm beginning jogging once the snow clears up around here.

I'm a fixed 69/70 KG atm.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:17 pm

Khanage wrote: However I am interested to know who Kendamu is, famous for his DB fuelled martial arts experience?
He is a member of the Kanzenshuu forums, and is pretty much into both Martial Arts and Dragonball (and more).
He has a Youtube channel if I remember correctly, and also a Twitter.
Sometimes he hops into threads and delivers some of his wisdom. :)

Khanage

Post by Khanage » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:37 pm

@DarkPrince_92 - Image :P

Goku's mentality inspires us all, I don't think it's silly, and if it can get us to the gym the it's certainly worth holding onto!

Majin_Steve that is quite interesting, was the idea to go to China inspired from DB? But I and many others would definitely advise using the episodes for motivation when you start training! Train like a Saiyan man!
Godo wrote:Sometimes he hops into threads and delivers some of his wisdom. :)
Ooh i am hoping he jumps onto here, Kendamu if you're reading, a story about how DB may have influenced your martial arts?

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:08 pm

I just started this year to improve my body, not because of some Japanese cartoon or whatever.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Khanage

Post by Khanage » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:22 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:I just started this year to improve my body, not because of some Japanese cartoon or whatever.
But you must admit that it helped, when you were on those last couple of reps, the last minute of cardio or when you just could not be bothered to go gym?

Majin Steve
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Steve » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:55 am

Khanage wrote:Majin_Steve that is quite interesting, was the idea to go to China inspired from DB? But I and many others would definitely advise using the episodes for motivation when you start training! Train like a Saiyan man!
Nah it was just a travel programme called World Challenge that takes kids out of school and puts them in a foreign country for a month for the experience. I had always rolled my eyes at it but when it was announced the year's destination would be China, I was sold from day one. I suppose you could say it was very indirectly Dragon Ball related as DBZ began my love of Asia, and I knew the trip was probably as close as I'd get to Japan.

I thought of taking up Karate classes recently but again I don't know if I'd quite say it was Dragon Ball related, atleast directly.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:30 pm

I used to be much more physically active when I started watching DB when I was young. I really got into the "Go beyond your limits" thing. I would do so many repetitions and I would do +1 the next day.

:lol: I kinda let that go now. My fitness is laughable.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"