Something's missing from Goku vs Superman

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ketchup_Revenge
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Something's missing from Goku vs Superman

Post by Ketchup_Revenge » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:22 pm

This is a bit off from Dragon Ball in general, and I wasn't quite sure where to place this, but I was thinking lately about a fight between Goku and Superman. I've seen fan videos and arguments of the two of them pummeling each other, but something was always missing from the argument or situation.
Would they ever feel the need to seriously fight?

Goku is always trying to make friends over foes. It's his nature. Unless he saw Superman as a legitimate threat, I can't ever see Goku going full out on him. Same with Superman. Superman doesn't seem very "person friendly", but I can't ever see him as seeing Goku as a real threat. This could influence their willingness to use any serious moves.

In all honesty, I'd be more satisfied seeing a fan-art of Goku trying to "bro-fist" a bewildered Superman in a happy, comedic fashion than anything I've seen with them all out fighting. Or Goku mis-interpreting the fight as a joke and goofing off or smiling the whole time.

Anyone else feel this way?
I wipe it off the tile, the light is brighter this time, everything is 3D blasphemy.
My eyes are red and gold, the hair is standing straight up, this is not the way I picture me.
I can't control my shakes, how the hell did I get here? Something about this, so very wrong.
I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn't like this. Is it a dream or a memory?

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Something's missing from Goku vs Superman

Post by Bussani » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:37 pm

Goku would want to fight him because he's strong, but he'd ask (or bug) politely. Superman wouldn't want to fight him because he has no reason to.

If they did fight, it wouldn't be much different from a tenkaichi budokai. They wouldn't be trying to kill each other, but that doesn't mean Goku wouldn't be giving it his all to win.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Ketchup_Revenge
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ketchup_Revenge » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:05 pm

Bussani wrote:Goku would want to fight him because he's strong, but he'd ask (or bug) politely. Superman wouldn't want to fight him because he has no reason to.

If they did fight, it wouldn't be much different from a tenkaichi budokai. They wouldn't be trying to kill each other, but that doesn't mean Goku wouldn't be giving it his all to win.
I highly doubt he'd use Genki Dama on Superman, or (non canon) Ryu Ken.Those would be included in "giving his all".
I wipe it off the tile, the light is brighter this time, everything is 3D blasphemy.
My eyes are red and gold, the hair is standing straight up, this is not the way I picture me.
I can't control my shakes, how the hell did I get here? Something about this, so very wrong.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:19 pm

Yeah, probably not. As I said, it would be more like a tournament battle to Goku--and that's only if he could convince Superman to fight him.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:25 pm

You mean a picture like this?

Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Ketchup_Revenge
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ketchup_Revenge » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:48 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:You mean a picture like this?

Something like that yes, but I've always found it a little more logical for Goku to be all goofy and happy while Superman is a tad bewildered by Goku's attitude.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:28 am

Ketchup_Revenge wrote:Goku is always trying to make friends over foes. It's his nature. Unless he saw Superman as a legitimate threat, I can't ever see Goku going full out on him. Same with Superman. Superman doesn't seem very "person friendly", but I can't ever see him as seeing Goku as a real threat. This could influence their willingness to use any serious moves.
There's something I don't get: Why would someone assume Superman's not "person friendly"? He's called the Big Blue Boyscout by some for a reason. He's one of the nicest heroes you'll meet if you're not evil, and always willing to help those in need. He sets the bar when it comes to the standard of a Superhero. Unless you're clearly about to start something, he won't throw the first punch, and he definitely doesn't start fights (at least, normally). Goku's pure as a child, innocently doing bad things on occasion when he doesn't know any better, but rarely means ill towards said victims, whereas Superman's a more mature purity, he recognizes good and evil very clearly, and does all he can to fight villains without crossing a line. Goku might go hunt down a guy like Luthor because of his villainy, smash down his building, take out his guards, and take Lex down just for learning he's evil (sometimes, Goku goes looking for a fight). Superman doesn't attack unprovoked, recognizing that he's not above the law, and he can't just take life or destroy buildings to get what he wants.

Both are good, but good in different ways (Goku does mature a little as time goes on, but he never entirely gets rid of that childish side of not knowing any better, like when he blasts the Old Kai in the face).
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Majin Steve
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Steve » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:11 am

Superman's kinda boring if he isn't in a comedic B-movie.

He's too perfect.

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:39 am

Majin Steve , it's up to the writer. Basically all superheroes are outlines that every creator fills with own colours and overwrite with details. They managed to make Captain America interesting, so why not Superman? Anyway, everyone prefers Batman

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who rather see them as friends or allies rather than real opponents. Goku as the playful one, and Super constantly taming his dangerous ideas. I can image Goku wanting a sparring right here and now, while Super reminding that they must find a proper polygon, preferably light years away from all living forms.
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

Ketchup_Revenge
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ketchup_Revenge » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:28 am

Mewzard wrote:
Ketchup_Revenge wrote:Goku is always trying to make friends over foes. It's his nature. Unless he saw Superman as a legitimate threat, I can't ever see Goku going full out on him. Same with Superman. Superman doesn't seem very "person friendly", but I can't ever see him as seeing Goku as a real threat. This could influence their willingness to use any serious moves.
There's something I don't get: Why would someone assume Superman's not "person friendly"? He's called the Big Blue Boyscout by some for a reason. He's one of the nicest heroes you'll meet if you're not evil, and always willing to help those in need. He sets the bar when it comes to the standard of a Superhero. Unless you're clearly about to start something, he won't throw the first punch, and he definitely doesn't start fights (at least, normally). Goku's pure as a child, innocently doing bad things on occasion when he doesn't know any better, but rarely means ill towards said victims, whereas Superman's a more mature purity, he recognizes good and evil very clearly, and does all he can to fight villains without crossing a line. Goku might go hunt down a guy like Luthor because of his villainy, smash down his building, take out his guards, and take Lex down just for learning he's evil (sometimes, Goku goes looking for a fight). Superman doesn't attack unprovoked, recognizing that he's not above the law, and he can't just take life or destroy buildings to get what he wants.

Both are good, but good in different ways (Goku does mature a little as time goes on, but he never entirely gets rid of that childish side of not knowing any better, like when he blasts the Old Kai in the face).
We don't see Superman kissing babies or anything of the sort. Goku at least pays attention to kids. That's the point I was trying to get at. I'm not saying he's not a good guy, just socially, when it comes to over-all likability to those around him, Goku wins. Goku has successfully converted numerous enemies into friends simply be being himself.

If they were to actually fight, I have no doubt that Goku would be the one to request that they fight, but I don't believe that he'd simply start throwing punches unless he actually saw Superman as a threat. Superman doesn't seem like the person to fight simply for fun unless someone else suggested it, and that's where Goku comes in.

So in my head, Goku's curiosity about a new strong opponent would be the initiation for the fight and it obviously wouldn't be serious.

KiddoCabbusses
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KiddoCabbusses » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:55 pm

For reference, and taking this as being about the "Death Battle" episode; I'm pretty sure this kind of thing's been pointed out about previous "Death Battles", and it's expressly stated as something that needs to be ignored for the sake of the show to work.