Dragon Ball Z returns to US's WJ, in Full Color.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Payne222
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Z returns to US's WSJ, in Full Color.

Post by Payne222 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:07 pm

Alright, as far as the sound effects, they'll be in Japanese. VIZ uses the pages Shueisha sends them directly for each manga page in the magazine. And for you guys going on about spending $.99 an issue...be smart. $26 for a subscription.
「あの地球人のように?・・・クリリンのことか・・・クリリンのことか————っ!!!!!!」

「オレは地球からきさまをたおすためにやってきたサイヤ人・・・おだやかな心をもちながらはげしい怒りによって目覚めた伝説の戦士・・・超サイヤ人孫悟空だ!!!!!」

dragonfist
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonfist » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:09 pm

MagicBox wrote:So since Viz's online WSJ uses the original Japanese artwork (sound effects and all), do you guys think we might be lucky enough to get all of the unedited art this time around? I know I mentioned this above, but I'm starting to think that it's a very real possibility. Since these are newly-colored, Viz might not be able to simply re-use their edited pages from their graphic novel releases. They might be "stuck" with the originals for the time being.

If we are lucky enough to get the original artwork, then that's a major plus right there, even if the dialogue itself isn't revised/fixed.
Good point there. I own the Shonen Jump Graphic Novels already, so even though I prefer having the SFX translated, I can't say it would be nice to experience the original untouched artwork. Haven't picked up a issue of WSJ yet but just gotta ask are the effects translated, like in editor notes, or something?

dragonfist
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonfist » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:15 pm

Payne222 wrote:Alright, as far as the sound effects, they'll be in Japanese. VIZ uses the pages Shueisha sends them directly for each manga page in the magazine. And for you guys going on about spending $.99 an issue...be smart. $26 for a subscription.
Which would be my first issue after I subscribe to WSJ? Dumb question, I know, but I have been so out of the loop with these digital releases that I still think of them as the old print magazines. :P Were I to subscribe within this week, my first issue would be next week's? When does the issues come out? What can I say I? I'm a cheapskate in this economy and would prefer to get the cheapest price for what is essentially a purchase to read only dragon ball in full-color. :lol: I kind of got bored with Naruto, prefer to watch the anime of One Piece & Bleach i really could never get into. I guess I just got shonen burn out after a while...

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:24 pm

dragonfist wrote:Haven't picked up a issue of WSJ yet but just gotta ask are the effects translated, like in editor notes, or something?
Basically.

However, whenever chapters are collected into volumes, the sound effects are always changed.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:25 pm

dragonfist wrote:Haven't picked up a issue of WSJ yet but just gotta ask are the effects translated, like in editor notes, or something?
I downloaded this week's issue today and every series featured the original sound effects with little translated sounds added below them in small print. Truth be told, I actually prefer that over Viz going in and editing the artwork.

EDIT: Er, just what AgitoZ said. :P

But it's not just the sound effects I'm excited about. If we're truly getting the untouched pages from Shueisha, we won't have to worry about the nudity edits, gun edits, and stuff like that. Considering Viz's tendency to edit stuff like that for the DBZ graphic novel releases, this could be our only chance to own an official English version of the manga with the original art.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:27 pm

This is so awesome!

I don't think I can get WSJ, though... but hopefully they'll be released as volumes later!
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

dragonfist
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonfist » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:28 pm

Whoa, thanks to AgitoZ & MagicBox for clarifying. You know, if it is like that it doesn't appear to be half as bad as I feared ala what tokyopop used to due.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:29 pm

dragonfist wrote:Which would be my first issue after I subscribe to WSJ? Dumb question, I know, but I have been so out of the loop with these digital releases that I still think of them as the old print magazines. :P Were I to subscribe within this week, my first issue would be next week's? When does the issues come out?
Your first issue is whatever issue is available for that week. So if you subscribed now, you'd be getting the issue with the Kintoki one-shot. Issues come out on Monday, same as Japan, around 10 pacific or something like that.
MagicBox wrote:If we're truly getting the untouched pages from Shueisha, we won't have to worry about the nudity edits, gun edits, and stuff like that. Considering Viz's tendency to edit stuff like that for the DBZ graphic novel releases, this could be our only chance to own an official English version of the manga with the original art.
On the ANN cast, the people from Viz said they aren't touching any of the artwork.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

dragonfist
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonfist » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:35 pm

AgitoZ wrote:
dragonfist wrote:Which would be my first issue after I subscribe to WSJ? Dumb question, I know, but I have been so out of the loop with these digital releases that I still think of them as the old print magazines. :P Were I to subscribe within this week, my first issue would be next week's? When does the issues come out?
Your first issue is whatever issue is available for that week. So if you subscribed now, you'd be getting the issue with the Kintoki one-shot. Issues come out on Monday, same as Japan, around 10 pacific or something like that.
So let's say that if I am a penny pincher :lol: and want to start with my subscription's first issue to be the one dbz debuts I should subscribe next week?

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:36 pm

Physical graphic novel format later, please?
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:25 am

I'm planning on getting me a year's subscription to WSJ as soon as possible. This is going to be glorious.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader

We Gotta Power >>>>> Cha-La Head Cha-La. Fight me.
If Super wanted to be "canon," then it should have been good.
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:40 am

I wonder if I can get a subscription in Australia?

Can't seem to find anything on the website.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:55 am

MagicBox wrote:
dragonfist wrote:But it's not just the sound effects I'm excited about. If we're truly getting the untouched pages from Shueisha, we won't have to worry about the nudity edits, gun edits, and stuff like that. Considering Viz's tendency to edit stuff like that for the DBZ graphic novel releases, this could be our only chance to own an official English version of the manga with the original art.
Hype rising!

I'll definitely be checking out the first issue next week. If this is really unedited, I won't hesitate to subscribe!

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:14 am

I've been out of the US Shonen Jump loop for years. Is it all digital now or do they still have the print versions available. I remember hearing on the podcast something about how Shonen Jump Alpha is now just Shonen Jump... or something... I don't know...

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:20 am

Shonen Jump Alpha is now Weekly Shonen Jump, and the magazine is a purely digital release. They no longer release a print version.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:22 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Shonen Jump Alpha is now Weekly Shonen Jump, and the magazine is a purely digital release. They no longer release a print version.
Oh. Well then in that case, I should be able to subscribe. Neat.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:24 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Shonen Jump Alpha is now Weekly Shonen Jump, and the magazine is a purely digital release. They no longer release a print version.
Aw, man. That sucks. I mean... I get it, everything is digital. But I like having books on my shelf.

Well, at least I won't have to scan the pages...

tinlunlau
Regular

Post by tinlunlau » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:27 am

Saiga wrote:I wonder if I can get a subscription in Australia?

Most likely not due to regional restrictions. I don't have a tablet so I'm still kinda wishy-washy about subscribing.
The world is your's.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:29 am

Kaboom wrote:I'm planning on getting me a year's subscription to WSJ as soon as possible. This is going to be glorious.
Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think you can buy back issues of WSJ, so you gotta subscribe before the issue's release is replaced by the next to get the first chapter (or buy them at $0.99 a piece until you can afford to subscribe, that works too).

I just realized something that sucks...my second day of class is next Monday, and I have both morning and evening classes... ;_; Why did I make my only day of school 6 hours on Monday?
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:34 am

tinlunlau wrote:
Saiga wrote:I wonder if I can get a subscription in Australia?

Most likely not due to regional restrictions. I don't have a tablet so I'm still kinda wishy-washy about subscribing.
Maybe, because the page is pretty straight forward:
Mewzard wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think you can buy back issues of WSJ, so you gotta subscribe before the issue's release is replaced by the next to get the first chapter (or buy them at $0.99 a piece until you can afford to subscribe, that works too).
Which is weird, because it still shows last weeks issue on the main page, but it links to the new recent issue for purchase.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)