Dragon Ball Z returns to US's WJ, in Full Color.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball Z returns to US's WSJ, in Full Color.

Post by Saiga » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:42 am

Ah, so I can't get and just view it on my laptop?
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:45 am

If they aren't region blocking you from getting the subscription, you'd be fine: desktop, laptop, iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, Kindle Fire and Android devices.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:49 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:If they aren't region blocking you from getting the subscription, you'd be fine: desktop, laptop, iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, Kindle Fire and Android devices.
Neat! How can I tell what regions it is available in? It doesn't seem to say anywhere I can find.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Ginkasa

Post by Ginkasa » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:53 am

Wow, I didn't even know this was a thing. I subscribed JUST NOW primarily for the DBZ. There's not much else in the magazine I'm already interested in, but I'm not averse to trying out some new stuff.

dragonfist
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonfist » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:48 am

Ginkasa wrote:Wow, I didn't even know this was a thing. I subscribed JUST NOW primarily for the DBZ. There's not much else in the magazine I'm already interested in, but I'm not averse to trying out some new stuff.
Did you just subscribed? Which issue was the first one you got?The current or next week's?

the original ero-sennin
Beyond Newbie

Post by the original ero-sennin » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:02 am

Saiga wrote:
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:If they aren't region blocking you from getting the subscription, you'd be fine: desktop, laptop, iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, Kindle Fire and Android devices.
Neat! How can I tell what regions it is available in? It doesn't seem to say anywhere I can find.
Currently Weekly Shonen Jump is only available in the United States. It may be available in other territories in North America. But, I'm fairly certain it's only US for now.

As a side note, everytime somebody types WSJ, I can't help but think Wall Street Journal.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:28 am

the original ero-sennin wrote:As a side note, everytime somebody types WSJ, I can't help but think Wall Street Journal.
Yeah. The Japanese version, at least, is abbreviated "WJ"….
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

dragonfist
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonfist » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:15 am

the original ero-sennin wrote: As a side note, everytime somebody types WSJ, I can't help but think Wall Street Journal.
I am majoring in Finance so for me it's a also a problem. :lolno:

Ginkasa

Post by Ginkasa » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:41 am

dragonfist wrote:
Ginkasa wrote:Wow, I didn't even know this was a thing. I subscribed JUST NOW primarily for the DBZ. There's not much else in the magazine I'm already interested in, but I'm not averse to trying out some new stuff.
Did you just subscribed? Which issue was the first one you got?The current or next week's?

My first issue appear's to be "this week's;" its the one that was, as far as I could tell, released yesterday with the Kintoki one shot. I imagine so long as you subscribe between now and next Monday, that will be your first issue. After that, you should get the issue released next Monday, 2/4.

dragonfist
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonfist » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:47 am

Ok thanks for clarifying that. I'll wait till next week. :P

oXdanXo
Regular

Post by oXdanXo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:16 am

I'm slightly confused, is this digital only? Or is it in hard copy?
Can you get a subscription ouside of the US (UK)?
Next to get; Leged of Saiyan figures and Freeza's force

If anyone sees
Any of the Legend of Saiyan line going cheapish
Or any other Banpresto DBZ figure :)

If anyone has a cooler steelbook dvd that wants to sell it (prefer new but used is fine) when/if the dragon box movies comes out contact me :)

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:20 am

Shueisha's release in Japan is print-only (for now). You can import the books from various sites.

Viz's release in the US is digital-only (for now), which you can access on a PC, tablet, phone, etc. It is not available outside the US.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:41 am

VegettoEX wrote:We have no fucking clue where "Aurumoculi" came from in the shitty scanlation.
Well (and I think you know this, but just for the record) "Aurumoculi" means "golden eyes" in Latin. Why anyone thought it made sense to translate Kinme into Latin instead of English, I don't know.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:25 pm

Herms wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:We have no fucking clue where "Aurumoculi" came from in the shitty scanlation.
Well (and I think you know this, but just for the record) "Aurumoculi" means "golden eyes" in Latin. Why anyone thought it made sense to translate Kinme into Latin instead of English, I don't know.
Well, aurum means "gold" and oculi means "eyes", but I'm pretty sure you have to decline the words so they make a phrase instead of simply jamming the base forms together like that….
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

oXdanXo
Regular

Post by oXdanXo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:07 pm

Thanks guys, I tried to install Vizs manga reader but it only works in the US so I'm just hoping they release them as books, as I'm hoping the colour is enough to get me into the manga as I can't read it in black and white.
Next to get; Leged of Saiyan figures and Freeza's force

If anyone sees
Any of the Legend of Saiyan line going cheapish
Or any other Banpresto DBZ figure :)

If anyone has a cooler steelbook dvd that wants to sell it (prefer new but used is fine) when/if the dragon box movies comes out contact me :)

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:17 pm

the original ero-sennin wrote:Currently Weekly Shonen Jump is only available in the United States. It may be available in other territories in North America. But, I'm fairly certain it's only US for now.
It's actually available in both the US and Canada.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

VegettoEX

Re: Dragon Ball Z returns to US's WJ, in Full Color.

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:31 pm

Viz's release is out... here's our take on it!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Xagani
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Xagani » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:21 pm

Just found this on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkiYnOmO63M

and posted it also here too since it's the Japanese version:
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 65#p615265
"If I tried to re-create the original voice I think I would run the risk of hitting a note so high that I may not be able to have children in future life." - Peter Kelamis

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:23 pm

I just read it myself, and I gotta say, that was lovely. I immediately went back and read the original black and white version after that and the colors really brought the panels to life. I'm all for this re-release! My only gripe would be that they left the sound effects untranslated. I thought I would like it being left untranslated, but after reading the b&w version, I liked the english sound effects better. I think the main reason is because while in the color version they left it untranslated, they still included a tiny translation of it in black font next to the sound effects. It seems very out of place. They could have at least put it in the margins, I think.

Something different I noticed is that Piccolo's dialog font changes near the end of the chapter where in the original viz release, it doesn't. Why?
My Dragon Ball AMV's:
Pain into Power - Gohan Tribute - Best Character Profile at AnimeNext
The Dragon Ball Life - Original DB only AMV - Coordinators Choice at Anime Conji
When I See You Again [NEW!!!] - Goku & Krillin AMV - Best Drama at Otakon

the original ero-sennin
Beyond Newbie

Post by the original ero-sennin » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:50 pm

It's a little thing... But, I really don't like the font in the VIZ release.
Last edited by the original ero-sennin on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.