Emotional Moments in DB

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Emotional Moments in DB

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:04 pm

Are there any moments in Dragon Ball that make you emotional?

For me, it's probably when Goku arrives at Kame House in DBGT ep 64 and he has that final fight with Kuririn. Can't remember the exact line, but it's when Kuririn talks about how he's growing older but Goku and Roshi haven't changed; that combined with the instrumental of Hitori ja Nai always gets me- not to the point of crying, but y'know, it kinda makes you think. :wink:
Last edited by DragonBoxZTheMovies on Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Re: Emotional Moments in DB

Post by CaBrPi » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:23 pm

I've always found the part in the hospital where Gohan basically gives Chi-Chi the finger quite touching.

And yes, I do realize it'd actually be really weird in the real world.

Also, the climax of the Cell Games is an emotional rollercoaster.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:33 pm

The whole end of DBGT when Goku departs.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:42 pm

I know I mentioned it recently in another thread, but the first half of ep #286 where Goku has to throw the genki-dama to destroy Buu, Vegeta's too beat-up to move out of the way and Goku can't bring himself to throw it if it'll kill Vegeta too. Vegeta keeps yelling at him to throw the thing anyway, even if it means his own death, but Goku doesn't want to lose him. In the meantime other characters are commenting on the situation (I think the kais were wondering what was up with Goku while Freeza comments about Goku being foolish for valuing Vegeta like that). While in the manga it's a very short scene, in the anime it takes a lot more time (about half the episode) and was a lot more tension-filled for me. I haven't seen the ep in years, but I remember the first time I saw it it grabbed and held my attention so fiercely. I don't know if it has the same punch now as it did then (I should go check) but that seriously pulled at my heartstrings.

EDIT: Went back and watched; still good, even though the element of surprise is gone now that I know what happens ahead of time.
I have to say though, I never noticed before that later on in the episode Vegeta, physically exhausted, decides he still has enough energy to punch Mr. Satan in the stomach for a comment he made, that gave me a laugh. It was very strangely TFS of him. It was like, really Vegeta, now? Yes. XD
Last edited by Chuquita on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:45 pm

Never had a moment where I got terribly emotional but here are a few that always tug a heart string or 2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0YQpaLgBEo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFklBs6Mgxs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNPCz92RJig
Last edited by TheMightyOzaru on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:42 pm

CaBrPi wrote:I've always found the part in the hospital where Gohan basically gives Chi-Chi the finger quite touching.
You know, I agree and I'm being serious....dead fucking serious especially since dozens of chapters/episodes later near the end of the Cell Saga, Gohan tells Chi-Chi that Goku is now deceased, doesn't wanna come back, and she breaks down in tears. Her life must really suck (full of inconvenience).

Anyways, here's mine:

Goku and Gohan's Kamehameha against Cell

I also agree with you on the climax. Gohan is shown doubting his abilities on account of the bleak situation until Goku gives Gohan a prep talk all the way from the heavens, and Gohan launches a one-hand Kamehameha wave. It's rather influential for it shows that even at the bleakest of times to keep your chin up, and it empathizes the importance of paternal bonding. It's even better in the anime because the Z-Senshi go over how Goku and Gohan influenced their lives, and try to help out before Vegeta gives the final blow.

Vegeta's Death on Namek

Vegeta pretty much pours his heart out to Goku, not out of compassion but as a fellow Saiyan and begs for Goku to defeat Freeza on behalf of their near-extinct race. Goku's speech in response also help bring out the emotion of the scene, especially in the original version because it's a pivotal point of Goku coming in grips with his Saiyan heritage.

Vegeta's internal struggle under Bobbidi's spell (anime-only)

This is probably the scene that really got me into Vegeta's character, and one of the saga's few saving graces (along with Mr. Satan). He pretty much laments over his life, reflecting over his gloried days and how he lost it all for his new-found life on Earth. I especially love his in-between banter with Goku as he analyses Goku's character, and compares it to his own. Brilliant storytelling right there (two very good, complex Saiyan characters duking it out for a second time).

However, he shows that he still has compassion for his "petty attachments" as he embraces Trunks before knocking him out and throws himself into a cold oblivion. Too bad he ultimately ended up doing it for nothing. :sad:
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

the_abberration
Regular

Post by the_abberration » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:05 pm

Gohan vs Recoome on Namek was very emotional for me.

Recoome laughing off all of Gohan's attacks. Gohan wishing that Goku would arrive. Krillin looking on helpless. All leading up to that final moment. The way the scene just stops as Recoome lands the final blow on Gohan, that sinister laugh of his, and Krillin unable to help.

My eyes may have leaked a little, as I kept thinking to myself (while a bloodied Gohan just laid there twitching), "That poor kid, Where the hell is Goku?".
1 Corinthians 13: When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. Except the anime. Never the anime.

"Look. I'm not allowed to hold you, but I'm sworn to protect you"-Sergeant Hatred

The Lineup: Danger Mouse

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:46 pm

The moments that most make me well up are the end of the 22nd Tenkaichi Tournament, Goku reuniting with his grandfather, and Gohan losing his friend the dinosaur.

The first two are such beautiful moments. When Gohan is smashing Goku on the ground he looks over and sees Goku's friends worried for him and is proud of his grandson for making such good friends. Then there's the moment where they hug and Goku's crying, which is one of the only times in the show that we see that. The 22nd Tournament is an emotional rollercoaster but that ending is so beautiful. Tenshinhan has decided to walk the right path and won by luck. He and Goku are both exhausted and the first one to get to Goku is his best friend Kuririn before the crowd arrives to give the fighters a well-earned applause.

I can't believe I almost forgot, there's that great moment after Piccolo Daimao has been killed and Goku screams that he's avenged the death of his best friend and mentor and sheds a few tears, and might fall to his death, but his new pal Yajirobe is there to save him, combined with Yajirobe's theme. I absolutely adore that moment.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:02 pm

One moment that always stood out to me was seconds after Goku burst through Demon King Piccolo's chest, he says something like "I won...I won!" and his fist is still clenched and he starts to shed a few tears. That was a powerful moment to me because it wasn't outright stated but you knew he was crying because he was happy that he avenged the deaths of his friends....for him it wasn't just about saving the world it was about making the dude that killed his friends pay for what he did. I think that was the first fight Goku won that truly meant something to him besides "being the strongest".
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:17 pm

DBGT's ending was pretty emotionally tugging, learning of Izumi Sakai's passing was very saddening as well. Um, learning there was no more DragonBall anime series after GT was pretty tear inducing. Seeing Gohan goof around and get his papa killed made me rage!
Also Piccolo's death; you can't help but sympathize with the loner.
Last edited by Gokuden on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:03 am

* Goku reuniting with his grandfather.
* The final Genki Dama in GT + Ending
* Piccolo's death in the Saiyan arc
* Bardock's death, Gohan finding Goku, the music playing with the credits and that final shot of Goku and all the dead Saiyans behind him and Freeza.
Last edited by DBZ Mick on Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:40 am

The Kaioken X20 scene, especially the Z dub version despite the acting and dialogue being a bit corny.

hulkty
Banned

Post by hulkty » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:46 am

:eh: None. I mean, this is Dragon Ball we're talking about. There's been nothing that emotional about it yet. It's just not a emotional dramatic show/manga. The people that do get teary eyed from this show must be VERY emotional if this thread was created.
Now try some of the well dubbed speeches in Naruto Shippuden. There's a decent start. Heck, Naruto even says himself that he sounds cheesy saying some of the mushy stuff. :wink:

MisguidedGhost
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MisguidedGhost » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:48 am

I always loved the moment when Goku meets Goten for the first time. It's one of those times when you see that Goku really can be a good father, even if he is a bit ignorant as far as parenting goes sometimes.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:16 am

hulkty wrote::eh: None. I mean, this is Dragon Ball we're talking about. There's been nothing that emotional about it yet. It's just not a emotional dramatic show/manga. The people that do get teary eyed from this show must be VERY emotional if this thread was created.
Now try some of the well dubbed speeches in Naruto Shippuden. There's a decent start. Heck, Naruto even says himself that he sounds cheesy saying some of the mushy stuff. :wink:
I'm a steel-wall so you're wrong there, although I never got teary eyed.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:05 am

hulkty wrote::eh: None. I mean, this is Dragon Ball we're talking about. There's been nothing that emotional about it yet. It's just not a emotional dramatic show/manga. The people that do get teary eyed from this show must be VERY emotional if this thread was created.
I'm not very emotional, but if the moment is well done and I've emotionally invested in the characters, then I can get watery eyed. Yes, it's Dragon Ball, and not typically dramatic, but there are plenty of serious moments and since the really emotional moments are few and far between, they feel earned.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:35 am

I think the ending of DBGT is the most emotional moment, and I think it's one of the least "DB-ish" moments in the series also. The more emotional you get, the farther you drift away from Toriyama's style IMO.

But there ARE moments in the series that were written by Toriyama and that happen to be emotional, even if it's not his typical style.

fogdark
Beyond Newbie

Post by fogdark » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:08 am

Well, as much as GT sucked, it's last episode was pretty damn good. It made me remember the good times I had with the show and, in a way, returned Goku to his magical origins.
But this wasn't the moment in Dragon Ball I consider the most emotional. I still remember one afternoon, I was around 11-12 years old, and I watching Dragon Ball, almost pleading with it to finish quickly because I needed to leave soon. When suddenly Goku went to look for Kuririn, since he was taking way too long to return, and he found him dead.
The death of Kuririn (the 1st, anyway). Dragon Ball is known to take dying as a joke, but back then, this was the first death of a major character to occur in the series. Until that moment, it never even crossed my mind that a big character, like Kuririn, could die since I had never seen something like that happen before. Needless to say, it shocked me, and I forgot all about my hurry. Goku's incredulous reaction, Bulma crying, Master Roshi's serious expression, then Goku's fury, all of it left me speechless, and more than a bit teary-eyed. Until that moment, Dragon Ball, even with it's serious moments, had been quite lighthearted, but the death of Kuririn changed the series tone, in my opinion. It introduced Piccolo Daimao, and afterwards came the Saiyans, Freeza, and the rest of threatening bad guys. Not only did Goku lose Kuririn but, in a way, that day Dragon Ball also lost it's innocence...
Yes, Goku visited me once. He turned to me while I was still speechless, and said, "You've drank too much"...

My Teepublic Store
My Redbubble Store

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:22 am

fogdark wrote:But this wasn't the moment in Dragon Ball I consider the most emotional. I still remember one afternoon, I was around 11-12 years old, and I watching Dragon Ball, almost pleading with it to finish quickly because I needed to leave soon. When suddenly Goku went to look for Kuririn, since he was taking way too long to return, and he found him dead.
The death of Kuririn (the 1st, anyway). Dragon Ball is known to take dying as a joke, but back then, this was the first death of a major character to occur in the series. Until that moment, it never even crossed my mind that a big character, like Kuririn, could die since I had never seen something like that happen before. Needless to say, it shocked me, and I forgot all about my hurry. Goku's incredulous reaction, Bulma crying, Master Roshi's serious expression, then Goku's fury, all of it left me speechless, and more than a bit teary-eyed. Until that moment, Dragon Ball, even with it's serious moments, had been quite lighthearted, but the death of Kuririn changed the series tone, in my opinion. It introduced Piccolo Daimao, and afterwards came the Saiyans, Freeza, and the rest of threatening bad guys. Not only did Goku lose Kuririn but, in a way, that day Dragon Ball also lost it's innocence...
How can I forget that one?
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Victorious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Victorious » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:25 am

"Tenshinhan's Final Kikoho" against Nappa in Kai was pretty emotional