Listing for "Ocean Dub"-specific DBZ: "Rock the Dragon" Set

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Listing for "Ocean Dub"-specific DBZ in July

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 pm

I never stated a preference for one over the other. I said that, to completely fulfill the aim of this release, it would make sense to include both. Since this is covering the first two seasons of the TV show (of which the edited movie 3 was 3 episodes of) and the home video released movies (of which the uncut dub was of), it makes sense to have both in their originally released forms.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri May 31, 2013 9:32 pm

It says 9 discs covering the 53 episodes and 3 movies, so that breaks down to 6/7 episodes per disc and I'm guessing the three films on 1 disc.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri May 31, 2013 9:33 pm

Haha I bet the simple mention of Rock The Dragon will be enough to get this selling faster than the Orange Bricks. On a side note I'd much rather them include the TV Tree of Might version. Although that isn't likely seeing as they'd probably want it consistent with movies 1 and 2. Maybe they'll include both versions.
Last edited by 90sDBZ on Fri May 31, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri May 31, 2013 9:33 pm

Will it have the "STAND BY FOR DRAGON BALL Z! COMING NEXT!" in the beginning of each episode?
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri May 31, 2013 9:36 pm

ABED wrote:It says 9 discs covering the 53 episodes and 3 movies, so that breaks down to 6/7 episodes per disc and I'm guessing the three films on 1 disc.
Well, damn, guess they aren't including the TV version then, otherwise it should be 56 episodes and 3 movies.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri May 31, 2013 9:37 pm

penguintruth wrote:Will it have the "STAND BY... FOR DRAGON BALL Z!" in the beginning of each episode?
Wow, first thing you've said that wasn't an insult to the show.

I wonder if there will be the NEPs and recaps for all the episodes, including episode 53. I also wonder if the first four episodes will be shown as individual episodes or one big feature like Arrival.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Fri May 31, 2013 9:51 pm

ABED wrote:
penguintruth wrote:Will it have the "STAND BY... FOR DRAGON BALL Z!" in the beginning of each episode?
Wow, first thing you've said that wasn't an insult to the show.

I wonder if there will be the NEPs and recaps for all the episodes, including episode 53. I also wonder if the first four episodes will be shown as individual episodes or one big feature like Arrival.
Speaking of the first 3-4 episodes I'm wondering whether the dub for those episodes are going to be the "original" syndication dub that had all the references of death etc.. from their very first airings, or will they be the dubs that had the original death references removed later on during their toonami airings (if we're lucky enough FUNi will have 2 audio tracks for those episodes so fans can choose between the 2).
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri May 31, 2013 9:56 pm

Oh yeah, forgot about that. I definitely want the ones that use "death". If they have a special feature that discusses these episodes, they could include those changes as opposed to a whole audio track. It could also be interesting to discuss the orphan episode, and why Saban didn't want them to air it, even though it was already produced.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri May 31, 2013 10:17 pm

Yeah, didn't Roshi get away with saying, "I smell death in the air!" or something like it when Raditz came around in the original version of the TV airing?
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Fri May 31, 2013 10:29 pm

Yep. The first 3 or so episodes of this dub included more references to death, but by episode 4 (where Goku and Raditz are sent to the "Next Dimension"), they stopped using those terms and replaced it with the "HFIL" and "Next Dimension" stuff. They did go back and change the death references for subsequent re-airings though.

That's why there's two versions of those initial episodes... even more confusing is the fact that Pioneer sold both versions of eps. 1-4 (known as "Arrival"), in two different VHS releases (I believe the initial versions were in a standard VHS box, while the altered version was in a clamshell VHS case; this version is also the one that was in the DVD release of "Arrival." I know one of the older podcast episodes describes these episodes in more detail.

So... yeah, was that enough of a clusterfuck for anyone?
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri May 31, 2013 10:32 pm

penguintruth wrote:Yeah, didn't Roshi get away with saying, "I smell death in the air!" or something like it when Raditz came around in the original version of the TV airing?
Yep, and Chichi said, "I'm going to worry myself to death." Interestingly, there was one instance of death getting through unscathed. Bulma says "If I fall and die..." I can't remember the rest of the line. She says it during the fake Namek episodes.

Weren't all VHS versions the sanitized version?

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Fri May 31, 2013 10:42 pm

I wonder if we'll get a separate release for the films, would buy those.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Fri May 31, 2013 10:48 pm

Kid Buu wrote:I wonder if we'll get a separate release for the films, would buy those.
You can get those Pioneer/Ocean dubs of the movies on Amazon for cheap right now... if you don't mind buying them second-hand.
http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Movie ... +dead+zone
http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Movie ... d_cp_mov_2
http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Movie ... e+of+might

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri May 31, 2013 10:49 pm

You know what they should do? Right after the final episode of "Season 2", they should show the beginning of episode 1 with Raditz's pod speeding towards Earth.

For maximum effect.

Can I get a Schemen?

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Fri May 31, 2013 10:53 pm

penguintruth wrote:You know what they should do? Right after the final episode of "Season 2", they should show the beginning of episode 1 with Raditz's pod speeding towards Earth.

For maximum effect.
Brilliant! Let's print this baby! Here, take this check and pick a hooker out of petty cash! Or even better, have it show Season 3's "Ginyu Assault" right after, for maximum "WTF?" effect.

BTW, I'd prefer it if they instead named this "The Brilliant Scientist" Edition...
Last edited by theoriginalbilis on Fri May 31, 2013 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Fri May 31, 2013 10:55 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote:
Kid Buu wrote:I wonder if we'll get a separate release for the films, would buy those.
You can get those Pioneer/Ocean dubs of the movies on Amazon for cheap right now... if you don't mind buying them second-hand.
http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Movie ... +dead+zone
http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Movie ... d_cp_mov_2
http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Movie ... e+of+might
Oh wow, I'll get them if my credit card bill wasn't due today. >_<
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri May 31, 2013 11:02 pm

I got the set with all three of the movies back when Kai was first announced, which is what reignited my interest in the franchise.

Love that bit on the Movie 1 DVD where if you pick "Namekian" as the language setting, it says that your DVD player isn't the right region for it.

Can I get a Schemen?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri May 31, 2013 11:52 pm

$60 on rightstuf seems like a good deal with all of the bonus content that we are getting. Dragon Ball rarely gets this type of content with home video releases.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:46 am

Scott wrote:
penguintruth wrote:Perhaps "Cargo Robot Edition" would have worked. Or "Just Wait Until That Arm Grows Back Edition". Oooh, how about "Frothy Mugs Of Water Edition"?
Seriously what is your problem ? Since this topic started every comment of yours has been whinny and bitchy. We get it you don't like it, that doesn't mean you need to bitch about it at any given opportunity.
Uh, what is your problem? How is he "whinny[SIC] and bitchy" by making jokes about the old censorship? What's with all these defensive posts people have been making in retaliation to penguintruth's more tame posts as of late? :?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Craddle
Regular

Post by Craddle » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:55 am

I find it funny that I tried to let you guys know it was legit based on the product code info that was leaked and everyone thought it was a joke. (/ingored me same thing.)