Listing for "Ocean Dub"-specific DBZ: "Rock the Dragon" Set

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

penguintruth
Banned

Re: Listing for "Ocean Dub"-specific DBZ in July

Post by penguintruth » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:40 am

ABED wrote:
penguintruth wrote:The only reason the Funimation VAs (and not even all of them) are okay today is because they played them for over a decade in both the TV show and billions of video games.
Just wondering who you think hasn't improved.
Cynthia Cranz as Chi-Chi, Sean Schemmel as Kaio, John Burgmeier as Tenshinhan, Kyle Hebert as Gyuumao, Jeremy Inman as Artificial Human 16 (to any significant degree), Eric Vale's Trunks (well, really the delivery got better but the actual voice got worse), and Mike McFarland's Roshi.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:40 am

I'm really starting to think the "announcement regarding the original Dragon Ball in the first quarter of 2013" is coming never rather than late. This is good, and I'll buy it, but I wonder where that announcement went.

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:36 am

This is simultaneously the coolest and strangest DBZ-related release I've heard about in a while.
I get the nostalgia thing but it's interesting how a lot of us are clamouring for a product that's not only inferior to what we have currently but was something a huge portion of the fandom fought against way back when.
I'm not looking to get a discussion started, it's just interesting to me. If anything, the promotional trailers will be something to watch.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:05 am

Fizzer wrote:I'm really starting to think the "announcement regarding the original Dragon Ball in the first quarter of 2013" is coming never rather than late. This is good, and I'll buy it, but I wonder where that announcement went.
I'm starting to wonder what happened to the announcement regarding the original Dragon Ball series as well.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:26 am

Maybe they didn't improve from Z to Kai, but they definitely improved from season 3. I also don't agree with your assessment about Burgmeier's Tenshinhan. He's my favorite Tenshinhan voice, even moreso than the original Japanese actor. He was great in Dragon Ball, but he got even better during Kai. 16's actor definitely got better, so I think you are way off base there.
Last edited by ABED on Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:27 am

I. AM. GETTING. THIS.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:09 pm

thedarkuniter wrote:
mikezilla2 wrote:so do you guys think they will include region 4 as one of the codes on the disc ie Mexico
All of Funimation's DVD releases are regions 1 and 4, so I'm guessing this one will be the same.
I'm hoping they'll also include Region 2.
penguintruth wrote:
ABED wrote:
penguintruth wrote:The only reason the Funimation VAs (and not even all of them) are okay today is because they played them for over a decade in both the TV show and billions of video games.
Just wondering who you think hasn't improved.
Cynthia Cranz as Chi-Chi, Sean Schemmel as Kaio, John Burgmeier as Tenshinhan, Kyle Hebert as Gyuumao, Jeremy Inman as Artificial Human 16 (to any significant degree), Eric Vale's Trunks (well, really the delivery got better but the actual voice got worse), and Mike McFarland's Roshi.
I agree with you about McFarland's Roshi. I felt he nailed it during the Dragonball dub but in Kai he just sounds off in his delivery. I don't know why but he just doesn't sound like that wise old perverted master any more and sounds kind of goofy in the wrong sort of way.

I'd say Burgmeier improved as Tien. I haven't heard much of Trunks and 16 in Kai yet.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:21 pm

So with all these listings I got confused....is the Rock the Dragon Boxset the only thing coming out this year from Funimation?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:50 pm

McFarland is excellent when playing Roshi's comedic side, but I've never bought him as the wise old master. Corlette was okay as the wise old master. The dub has never had an excellent Turtle Hermit.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Ryuji-Otogi
Banned

Post by Ryuji-Otogi » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:01 pm

Eclipse wrote:This is simultaneously the coolest and strangest DBZ-related release I've heard about in a while.
I get the nostalgia thing but it's interesting how a lot of us are clamouring for a product that's not only inferior to what we have currently but was something a huge portion of the fandom fought against way back when.
I'm not looking to get a discussion started, it's just interesting to me. If anything, the promotional trailers will be something to watch.
lol. Yep. "The way it was never meant to be seen! Totally censored, edited, and CUT! Coming soon."

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:29 pm

I'm excited for this being a one shot thing, they won't have anything to cancel, since I just ordered those cancelled Bardock and Trunks releases from like 2009, I have every singe Db/Z/GT that Funimation has released. :P

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:32 pm

Censorship applies only to government action.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:01 pm

Does anyone think it would be alright if I waited a while to get this or will it end up out of print and at a ridiculous price like the Dragon Boxes?

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:47 pm

90sDBZ wrote:Does anyone think it would be alright if I waited a while to get this or will it end up out of print and at a ridiculous price like the Dragon Boxes?
Well, that is entirely up to you but I'm going to pre-order it once Amazon list it. I have a feeling that this is a limited release like the Dragon Boxes so I'm not going to chance waiting.

I wonder what the packaging is going to be like for this. The box is rectangular so I suppose the book will be to one side of it with the DVD's to the other. But will it just be cardboard foldout holders for the discs? I hope it is high quality packaging and not anything flimsy.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:04 pm

I was thinking about that too, and I hope since they are releasing everything all at once that something high quality will go into making whatever holds the discs and booklets, etc.

Fri1991

Post by Fri1991 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:11 pm

Looking at the details for the 48-paged booklet, I wonder how they're going to cover much of the history and tropes. Hopefully, if they do a timeline like they did with the DBZ Season One Orange Brick, they can present it with accurate information.
Fri1991 - The One and Only

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:20 pm

Fri1991 wrote:Looking at the details for the 48-paged booklet, I wonder how they're going to cover much of the history and tropes. Hopefully, if they do a timeline like they did with the DBZ Season One Orange Brick, they can present it with accurate information.
Yea, I'm kinda hoping that they include some production details like their vision of bringing DBZ to the US, what they intended when casting the VA's and the direction they gave them and their marketing approach or something like that. I know that's never going to happen but I think that kind of stuff would be interesting. That timeline idea is good but I doubt they'll be 100% accurate with it.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:32 pm

The international shipping ($50 more or less) via Robert's Anime Corner would make the DBZ Ocean Dub Boxset cost me $100+. So I'm just waiting for Amazon's listing and go with them.

Amazon's Dragon Ball New Release Date Products link: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st?keywo ... eleasedate
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:15 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:So with all these listings I got confused....is the Rock the Dragon Boxset the only thing coming out this year from Funimation?
No. Strong World is coming out this year in fall or winter also. (Couldn't resist).

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:40 pm

ABED wrote:Maybe they didn't improve from Z to Kai, but they definitely improved from season 3. I also don't agree with your assessment about Burgmeier's Tenshinhan. He's my favorite Tenshinhan voice, even moreso than the original Japanese actor. He was great in Dragon Ball, but he got even better during Kai. 16's actor definitely got better, so I think you are way off base there.
Burgmeier, better than the late Hirotaka Suzuoiki? Burgmeier's Tenshinahn just sounds like he has a bad rash and is constantly irritated by it. Suzuoki commands an arresting presence. I want to give Burgmeier some salve.

16's actor improved ever so slightly. It's still way too flat.

Sabat's Recoome has improved, but it's still horrendous. He had to work up from crime against humanity to horrendous.

McFarland's Roshi is the best English dub Roshi, and yet still bad. That's a testament to how terrible the previous ones were, whether Corlett or Kelamis. Then there's the Klassen Roshi... ugh.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?