Listing for "Ocean Dub"-specific DBZ: "Rock the Dragon" Set

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Listing for "Ocean Dub"-specific DBZ: "Rock the Dragon"

Post by superrayman3 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:50 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:When is the official release for this? I think I ordered mine from the official store, and didn't really look at the release or shipping dates for it.
According to Anime Corner Store the official retail release date was/is supposed to be August 20th, however given the fact that a user has mentioned their local anime store already having this set and that pre-orders are already being shipped, it would seem that FUNimation is releasing the set a bit early possibly because they've got a special announcement related to the DB franchise planned for Otakon which isn't too far away, and they want to catch people off guard so they can surprise us.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:43 pm

superrayman3 wrote:According to Anime Corner Store the official retail release date was/is supposed to be August 20th, however given the fact that a user has mentioned their local anime store already having this set and that pre-orders are already being shipped, it would seem that FUNimation is releasing the set a bit early possibly because they've got a special announcement related to the DB franchise planned for Otakon which isn't too far away, and they want to catch people off guard so they can surprise us.
You're reading far too much into this. FUNimation typically has their products ready ahead of time because they're an experienced business with a proper manufacturing process, and they tend to get sent out to retailers early.

Retailers breaking street date does not and should not infer additional announcements from a company. If FUNimation happens to announce anything DB-related at Otakon, it would be preposterous to correlate it with RightStuf and Anime Corner Store shipping orders out early.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:53 am

I just got this in the mail this morning. I'm quite shocked I got it this early considering I'm in the UK but I did pay a lot for shipping so I guess I got my money's worth.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:27 pm

NitroEX wrote:I just got this in the mail this morning. I'm quite shocked I got it this early considering I'm in the UK but I did pay a lot for shipping so I guess I got my money's worth.

Can you confirm that the movies are the TV versions? I mean we're almost 100% sure, but it's always nice to know.

chaosyoshimage
Beyond Newbie

Post by chaosyoshimage » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:22 am

RightStuf is shipping mine now so anyone else that ordered this from there should expect a confirmation soon.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:13 am

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
NitroEX wrote:I just got this in the mail this morning. I'm quite shocked I got it this early considering I'm in the UK but I did pay a lot for shipping so I guess I got my money's worth.

Can you confirm that the movies are the TV versions? I mean we're almost 100% sure, but it's always nice to know.
Tree of Might is definitely the TV version for sure. The other movies begin with the rock the dragon intro but otherwise appear similar to the Pioneer versions I have.

I should probably note that they're using old footage to preserve the visual edits such as Gohan's face being redrawn, Guldo's head not being cut off etc.

TestDemo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TestDemo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:59 am

Just mentioning that this has the original broadcast episodes(1-2) with the references to death intact, not the later censored releases which were the only ones on DVD till now.

b_boult
Beyond Newbie

Post by b_boult » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:12 pm

Could one of you upload some screen caps? I'd like to see what the video quality is like. Thanks :)

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:11 pm

Could anyone who has this confirm whether or not it's region 2 compatible?

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:01 pm

90sDBZ wrote:Could anyone who has this confirm whether or not it's region 2 compatible?
Just got the set and it's Region's 1, 2 and 4.

Edit: The book itself also serves as the case for the discs as opposed to having separate cases and a book.

Edit 2: Here's some screenshots from episode 1

I should also mention that the footage is interlaced.

Edit 3: All older pics removed
Last edited by superrayman3 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:21 pm

It indeed looks like it's been recaptured from the source digibetas because it's not as saturated and the blacks aren't crushed, but oddly, the outlines still look kinda odd like the Pioneer singles. The Ultimate Uncuts for these episodes, and the Madman DVDs had cleaner outlines on their footage. Unless it's due to de-interlacing or something.

Can we get some shots of the beginning of the Goku vs. Vegeta fight? Those episodes were really dark on the Pioneer singles.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:33 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:Can we get some shots of the beginning of the Goku vs. Vegeta fight? Those episodes were really dark on the Pioneer singles.
I'll be sure to post some screenshot from the begining of that fight in a bit I'm currently running some errands and don't have access to my dvd's.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:48 pm

Thanks.

In the meantime, here are some comparative screenshots from the Pioneer DVD:

Here is an example from the next episode I believe that shows how sharp the first few episodes are on the Ultimate Uncuts and Madman DVDs:
The outlines don't have that fuzzy, distorted look to them as in those screenshots of the Rock the Dragon edition, and the grain is even, while on the new DVD shots there are areas where it looks smeared.

Here is a preemptive Goku vs Vegeta image for future reference:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by G1Ravage » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:10 pm

Finally picked up my set, and I watched the first episode. There were a LOT of references to "death" and "killing" in those first few episodes. In an ironic way, this edited set contains the most uncut version of the Ocean dub ever released on DVD (outside of the three movies).

Fri1991

Post by Fri1991 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:19 pm

G1Ravage wrote:Finally picked up my set, and I watched the first episode. There were a LOT of references to "death" and "killing" in those first few episodes. In an ironic way, this edited set contains the most uncut version of the Ocean dub ever released on DVD (outside of the three movies).
Does one of the episodes include the line where Raditz calls Goku by the name "Goku" instead of Kakarot? I had to ask since Mike and Meri brought it up on the podcast back in 2007 when they covered the original 1996 dub and the re-dub for the home video release and syndication.
Fri1991 - The One and Only

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by G1Ravage » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:55 pm

Fri1991 wrote:
G1Ravage wrote:Finally picked up my set, and I watched the first episode. There were a LOT of references to "death" and "killing" in those first few episodes. In an ironic way, this edited set contains the most uncut version of the Ocean dub ever released on DVD (outside of the three movies).
Does one of the episodes include the line where Raditz calls Goku by the name "Goku" instead of Kakarot? I had to ask since Mike and Meri brought it up on the podcast back in 2007 when they covered the original 1996 dub and the re-dub for the home video release and syndication.
Yes, when Raditz notices on his scouter that Goku and Piccolo have really arrived, he calls him "Goku". This is the complete, first-run dub. And it's wonderful to hear this.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:14 pm

As promised here's some shots from before the Goku and Vegeta fight:
Edit: All older pics removed
Last edited by superrayman3 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:18 pm

Damn, I may just have to blow some cash for this then. As a dub collector this would be awesome to own.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by G1Ravage » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:21 pm

I forgot about this Goku line:

"It's not kung-fu; it's the Kame-Sennin-style of martial arts."

And that word was never spoken again.

EDIT - "No Refuge from Recoome" is the title used for that episode. Thought maybe we'd be getting "The Relentless Recoome".

Also, I've been jumping around, and none of the episodes so far have had the "Stand by" bit before the credits.

DOUBLE EDIT - Oh wow, this episode I just jumped to in the Namek arc has eyecatchers! None of the Raditz episodes had them.
Last edited by G1Ravage on Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:37 pm

I'd be lying if I said the new DVDs aren't an improvement over the Pioneer discs, but it still doesn't look as sharp as the Ultimate Uncuts or Madman DVDs. :| I don't know if that's the interlacing, an encoding issue (unlikely given FUNimation's current day encoding is great), or the digibetas have degraded.