Listing for "Ocean Dub"-specific DBZ: "Rock the Dragon" Set

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

penguintruth
Banned

Re: Listing for "Ocean Dub"-specific DBZ in July

Post by penguintruth » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:27 pm

I'll put it this way. I have the DBZ Dragon Boxes and I'm working on getting all of Kai. I'm pretty much done getting DBZ.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:32 pm

Have you guys considered that the product description may just be a mistake and that there's not gonna be any redubbing done at all?

Remember when Dragon Ball GT Season 1 was listed as having 3 discs? Or when Dragon Ball Season 1 was listed as being widescreen?

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:33 pm

This does seem a bit odd, I think I'l wait until we get an official word from Funimation or Ocean. My guess is that it could be Kai and the person who made the listing is just using some fan made cover he/she found on the net until it gets an official cover. Still if it is the Ocean dub of Z it would be nice for the fans of Ocean to be able to get the dub they like without having to hunt down a dusty old DVD or VHS.
Last edited by Ringworm128 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:36 pm

Gonstead wrote:I'm not believing this until I see physical copies/debunked for being false.

In the meantime, I leave you all with this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hws6isU_qGo
Is that schimmels goku screaming?

Also, I hope we get more info on this. Maybe FUNimation needs the money? :lol:

EDIT: My friend just came from the Katsucon FUNimation panel and no word...just in case anyone was wondering.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:39 pm

This would be amazing if true. Pure nostalgia. Worth $40.

It better have the "DRAGON BALL ZEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" theme song :wink:

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:49 pm

It would be funny if this was a bootleg and the "redubbing" was just some bad fan dubber.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:53 pm

everything else on the sites listed seem to be legit

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:03 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:
Gonstead wrote:I'm not believing this until I see physical copies/debunked for being false.

In the meantime, I leave you all with this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hws6isU_qGo
Is that schimmels goku screaming?
*Schemmel*

And no, that's Peter Kelamis.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

ForestEquilibrium
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ForestEquilibrium » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:00 pm

If this is true, I'm pretty stoked for this, I haven't seen (the "good" part of the) Ocean dub in years and memories of it are fading so this will be a nice preservation for those of us who don't really care for looking for an affordable price on the old Pioneer DVDs on eBay. There's nothing about this that really screams "fake" or "bootleg" to me, putting "Dragon, Dragon, Rock The Dragon" seems like an effective marketing strategy to show what this is and who it's meant for.

In regards to the whole "re-dubbing" business, I have a few theories:

1. They're only going back to fix some blatant dubbing errors (i.e.: Bardock being a great scientist, Vegeta being Grandpa Gohan's killer and other such silliness)

2. Ian James Corlett has been back with Ocean for a while now AFAIK, so he might do over Kelamis' stuff in the Namek arc for consistency's sake (unlikely, as it kind of defeats the purpose of this being a nostalgic cash-in, but didn't Funi kind of screw that up themselves w/ the season sets?)

3. This will be the first wholly uncut release of the Ocean dub, with additional dubbing done for cut scenes (again, unlikely, but would be cool).

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:18 pm

ForestEquilibrium wrote:In regards to the whole "re-dubbing" business, I have a few theories:

1. They're only going back to fix some blatant dubbing errors (i.e.: Bardock being a great scientist, Vegeta being Grandpa Gohan's killer and other such silliness)

2. Ian James Corlett has been back with Ocean for a while now AFAIK, so he might do over Kelamis' stuff in the Namek arc for consistency's sake (unlikely, as it kind of defeats the purpose of this being a nostalgic cash-in, but didn't Funi kind of screw that up themselves w/ the season sets?)

3. This will be the first wholly uncut release of the Ocean dub, with additional dubbing done for cut scenes (again, unlikely, but would be cool).
Or it could be a mistake, like the 29 episode listing, when the box seems to say 26 episodes (which I believe is accurate), since the cover also says "broadcast version".
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

ForestEquilibrium
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ForestEquilibrium » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:28 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
ForestEquilibrium wrote:In regards to the whole "re-dubbing" business, I have a few theories:

Or it could be a mistake, like the 29 episode listing, when the box seems to say 26 episodes (which I believe is accurate), since the cover also says "broadcast version".
I was buying that too until attitudefan brought up his discussion with Brian Drummond, from the sound of that it seems like my first theory could be likely since I don't think anybody would be stoked to redo a few lines from something you did almost 20 years ago.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:30 pm

Let's say this is real, Could I play the DVD's on my US DVD or Blu-ray player? :?
Edit- wait, is this being released in Canada?
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:44 pm

samuraix123 wrote:Let's say this is real, Could I play the DVD's on my US DVD or Blu-ray player? :?
Edit- wait, is this being released in Canada?
It should as FUNimation's DVDs are typically Region 1 (and 4 for some releases).

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:47 pm

I'm sorry. I have no idea why I'm thinking this is being released in canada :P
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:55 pm

Well, Drummond was/is being weary of telling me everything. I think he doesn't want to get in trouble by mentioning too much. He told me to wait till around March. I'll ask him if he has only rerecorded SOME lines or a whole series worth. But they are done with the dub. He's more active with my little pony and Xmen... lame. (bleh, my little pony. That's just uncool).

See, either we take his first comment literally when I first talked to him, which seems more likely to do that as of now.

However, we still have McNeil telling us they've done Kai. Now, maybe, just maybe, Drummond is unexcited by revisiting an old series.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:09 am

I guess another possibility, though pretty far fetched, would be that there are two Ocean releases on the way. We could be getting one with the broadcast dub/cut, and another with a new dub, and the description on AAAnime could have them accidentally switched, which could explain the discrepancy between the cover art and description.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:14 am

Metalwario64 wrote:I guess another possibility, though pretty far fetched, would be that there are two Ocean releases on the way. We could be getting one with the broadcast dub/cut, and another with a new dub, and the description on AAAnime could have them accidentally switched, which could explain the discrepancy between the cover art and description.
Or, the new Ocean Kai is called DBZ broadcast version, so that people can pick it up so it will not be confused with DBZ Kai (FUNi).

Still, I think, as the original, it should be the default dub. Not FUNi's.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:15 am

Metalwario64 wrote:I guess another possibility, though pretty far fetched, would be that there are two Ocean releases on the way. We could be getting one with the broadcast dub/cut, and another with a new dub, and the description on AAAnime could have them accidentally switched, which could explain the discrepancy between the cover art and description.
I hope that there was an uncut version that we never seen :P also if they release this would it be the same as the older release or would this have slightly better quality?
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:17 am

Attitudefan wrote:
Or, the new Ocean Kai is called DBZ broadcast version, so that people can pick it up so it will not be confused with DBZ Kai (FUNi).

I guess one last possibility is that they're also releasing Ocean's dub of Kai soon on DVD, and the listing is for a new release of the old Z dub, and the site got the description for those two switched.

I just don't see a new dub for the old Z series being made.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:26 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
Attitudefan wrote:

I guess one last possibility is that they're also releasing Ocean's dub of Kai soon on DVD, and the listing is for a new release of the old Z dub, and the site got the description for those two switched.

I just don't see a new dub for the old Z series being made.

While you have a point. In essence, why release an unfinished product at all? I mean, if they even include the later ocean dub, there is a huge gap.
This is really awesome and strange at the same time. Especially since Ocean Kai is so secretive. But, we do need better copies of the ocean dub.

However, I'll totally be getting it :D