Judging a Tankobon by its cover.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Gazellian
Not-So-Newbie

Judging a Tankobon by its cover.

Post by Super Gazellian » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:19 am

Imagine that you've never heard of Dragon Ball before and you see these.

Image Image Image

Would you take a look at them based on the cover? Personally I'm not sure if I would because they look like a manga about racing or something, don't get me wrong having known Dragon Ball when I look at these I like them and think they look fun, but they don't really reflect what kind of story Dragon Ball (Z) is :P

I'm just glad DBZ got super popular so that you couldn't live through the 90's not knowing what it was and have to go through the misfortune of dismissing it as a racing manga :lol:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Judging a Tankobon by its cover.

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:28 am

The lucky thing there is that you're actually looking at Volumes 17, 18, and 19... not 1, 2, and 3 :). By that point, Dragon Ball was already a household name and it didn't matter WHAT was on the front cover.

I think you really need to judge from the actual first batch of covers:

Image Image Image

The first one is classical whimsy up the wazoo, which totally grabs me. The second is a little more strange in that regard, but definitely still has that "adventure" feel. The third is obviously the Tenka'ichi Budōkai to those who know, but I don't know that you'd necessary think "fighting" if you just saw it with no other context.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:46 am

deleted
Last edited by Fox666 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:12 am

Well, these cover are my favorite thing about the db manga.
Funny is that my favorite cover is non-racing one. It's volume 26.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:46 am

On that note, it's interesting how the kanzenban covers are all directly related to the events of the volume in question, often being flat-out redrawn scenes. The only real exception in the last volume's cover, which is a general "the whole gang in action" kinda thing. I think overall I prefer the tankoubon covers. I love how the volume where Freeza is defeated/Trunks debuts/19&20 attack features Kame-sennin riding a bike and smoking a pipe on the cover. Genius at work.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Super Gazellian
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Super Gazellian » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:39 pm

I guess with the amount of different releases there are I must've got the "Dragon Racing Sparkling Edition" line of covers :lol: Haha but seriously, Toriyama must've had an obsession with vehicles at the time of these releases, even more so than his usual fondness :o

I was thinking, considering this topics a little limited, maybe I could shift the focus to literally judging the Tankobon by its cover. Or Kanzenban. Or any other incarnation of Dragon Ball manga.

So for example:
If I saw this I would assume it was a child friendly story in which the cast would go off on little adventures that would never last more than two chapters each, something in the vein of Moomin :)

Pretorious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pretorious » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:02 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Image
Why is volume 2 off-color?

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:07 pm

MCDaveG wrote:Well, these cover are my favorite thing about the db manga.
When you see this you just realize how 80's Dragon Ball was. Goku looks like the protagonist of Shenmue looking for sailors.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:13 pm

deleted
Last edited by Fox666 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pretorious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pretorious » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:43 pm

But I've seen other images with the same discoloration. Like this:

http://img138.imagevenue.com/img.php?I'm ... _883lo.jpg

More on topic, this one makes Dragon Ball look like a western. Very few of them really make it look like what it is, but that makes the more "accurate" ones look extra awesome.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:58 pm

Fox666 wrote:Still many countries released the manga separately, so many people may have had the wrong impression of it.

It's funny when you realize that the majority of the covers are actually related to vehicles.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Yup, racing manga. :lol:
Well, I've always heard that Toriyama loved drawing vehicles, and this really shows it! :lol:
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:21 pm

Pretorious wrote:But I've seen other images with the same discoloration. Like this:
Yes. That image always has that sepia tone to, as you say, give it a more old West feel, presumably.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:02 am

In this Toriyama x Oda interview, Toriyama explains that he drew that cover on colored paper: http://www.thegrandline.com/odainterview.html

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:11 am

Looking on my bookshelf for confirmation. That sepia color is 4 colour print on the rear cover.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:13 am

NeoKING wrote:
When you see this you just realize how 80's Dragon Ball was. Goku looks like the protagonist of Shenmue looking for sailors.
This one is from 90's allready.
But I like these fantasy pictures of characters in different clothes, settings and such. Not like nowadays, where you look on cover of book, in which someone is slaying vampires and on the cover, someone is slaying vampires....

Super Gazellian
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Super Gazellian » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:39 am

MCDaveG wrote:
NeoKING wrote:
This one is from 90's allready.
But I like these fantasy pictures of characters in different clothes, settings and such. Not like nowadays, where you look on cover of book, in which someone is slaying vampires and on the cover, someone is slaying vampires....
Haha yeah I agree, even if it doesn't represent the story it's really cool to see the characters in scenarios you don't get to see in the story, extending the world a bit showing they have lives outside of the chapters :)

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:13 pm

Dammit! Just realised that the outfit from my favorite cover is actually in the first Budokai game!!!!
I always thought it's some variation on what Goku wore during the preparation for Cell Games and as I played the game yesterday, I noticed it's actually this one from the cover! Cooool!

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:56 am

I just realised something else:

If I didn't know they could fly, I'd think Gohan and Kuririn were lying down awkwardly.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:24 pm

ThunderPX wrote:I just realised something else:

If I didn't know they could fly, I'd think Gohan and Kuririn were lying down awkwardly.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Never thought about it, probably because I'm familiar eith the series allready.

Super Gazellian
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Super Gazellian » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:15 pm

ThunderPX wrote:I just realised something else:

Cannot.. be... unseen :shock: Gohan, oh how do you bring these tears to my eyes? :lol: