Animax Japan to air the DBZ movies in HD

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Puto
I Live Here

Animax Japan to air the DBZ movies in HD

Post by Puto » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:01 am

Apparently, Animax Japan will be airing the Dragon Ball Z movies, and they're tagged as HD. Wonder if this means Toei actually did HD transfers for them...?
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Animax Japan to air the DBZ movies in HD

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:05 am

3 possibilities:

- New HD remaster from Toei

- Dragon Box upscales

- FUNimation's Blu-ray footage

It'd be funny (though least likely) if it were FUNimation's footage.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:17 am

Metalwario64 wrote:3 possibilities:

- New HD remaster from Toei

- Dragon Box upscales

- FUNimation's Blu-ray footage

It'd be funny (though least likely) if it were FUNimation's footage.
HD remaster or Dragon Box upscales might be it, but FUNimation's version? Oh christ.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:16 am

I'll ask them what masters they're going to use.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:24 am

Considering that airing starts this Sunday already, you might as well just wait the two days, lol.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:28 am

Puto wrote:Considering that airing starts this Sunday already, you might as well just wait the two days, lol.
Animax is a pay channel, so I will subscribe it for a month if they're going to use newly telecined HD masters.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:59 am

kei17 wrote:Animax is a pay channel, so I will subscribe it for a month if they're going to use newly telecined HD masters.
So pay-per-view, thanks for checking them out. Who knows if it's the films remastered in true high-def, it has happened when old classic animated films first were broadcast in HD TV, then later on it was released on Blu-ray. Aladdin for example, I think.

Guess they don't offer a 30 day free trial month for their customers, they go directly for payments. :P
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:16 pm

I have Animax, and there is sucky DBGT airing for it's third run........ and X-Men, new Slayers, Naruto.....
I would love to see some global hype and have the movies too on Animax in TV with czech subs, that would be cool to see.
(BTW. czech subs in GT are horrible, it's probably translated from Hungarian dub, as there are different things than what they actually say in Japanese)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:56 pm

I'm hoping that these HD masters from Toei and not Dragon Box upscales. If these new HD masters then I hope someone will upload some pictures on the web. Sony did a similar thing not too while ago back in September by playing the HD masters of the Heisei 90's Godzilla movies, but no one brother to upload any HD screen shots of them.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:04 pm

MCDaveG wrote:I have Animax, and there is sucky DBGT airing for it's third run........ and X-Men, new Slayers, Naruto.....
I would love to see some global hype and have the movies too on Animax in TV with czech subs, that would be cool to see.
(BTW. czech subs in GT are horrible, it's probably translated from Hungarian dub, as there are different things than what they actually say in Japanese)
Animax in Japan is a very different channel that the international counterparts. I'd wager that these "HD" broadcasts of the DBZ films won't be aired outside of Japan, at least initially.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:08 pm

possible they remastered there own prints. It's quite common for TV channels to do that

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:14 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:possible they remastered there own prints. It's quite common for TV channels to do that
I'm pretty sure Animax only has videotape masters, so they cannot remaster "their own prints".

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:20 pm

kei17 wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:possible they remastered there own prints. It's quite common for TV channels to do that
I'm pretty sure Animax only has videotape masters, so they cannot remaster "their own prints".
LOL wasnt sure about that. Just a common practice in the industry. Well..they cold remaster them...look at those 2k remasteres on youtube :lol:

I joke..I joke

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:20 pm

There's a chance that they'll just air the original masters interpolated into 1080p and put through their various broadcast master processes.

It's a shabby thing to do, and it won't really be HD - but HD Channels in the UK do this all the time.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Blade wrote:There's a chance that they'll just air the original masters interpolated into 1080p and put through their various broadcast master processes.

It's a shabby thing to do, and it won't really be HD - but HD Channels in the UK do this all the time.
Thats exactly what I was thinking. Same goes here for the U.S. Thats why we gets 'HD' tv rips before blurays come out. Dragon The Bruce Lee story is a good case of that, though I'm not sure what there masters are.
Image vastly better than the DVD by the way :?

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:29 pm

IIRC, it was the upscaled Dbox footage when they aired DBZ movie 13 few years ago.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:36 pm

kei17 wrote:IIRC, it was the upscaled Dbox footage when they aired DBZ movie 13 few years ago.
Yeah, it will probably be interpolated into 1080p again then.

The remastering process for Dragonball Z cost Funimation millions of dollars. Granted that there is a lot less material to remaster for the movies and Toei probably have all the equipment and people they'd need to do it in-house instead of outsourcing, but it would still be an expensive process and would therefore make no sense to not release it on Blu Ray first as opposed to letting a TV Network air it.

Besides - it's not just the picture that needs remastering, it's the audio too.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:56 pm

kei17 wrote:IIRC, it was the upscaled Dbox footage when they aired DBZ movie 13 few years ago.
Yeah, but usually they don't put the 'HD' tag on stuff that they upscale... Usually.

Then again, who knows.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:53 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:02 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Thats exactly what I was thinking. Same goes here for the U.S. Thats why we gets 'HD' tv rips before blurays come out. Dragon The Bruce Lee story is a good case of that, though I'm not sure what there masters are.
Image vastly better than the DVD by the way :?
HDTV rips generally look a lot better than the standard DVD version, and yet, HDTV rips are the solution until it becomes available in more formats (Blu-ray and Ultra Violet/Digital Copy)
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray