Four years later, how do you feel about DBE?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Re: Four years later, how do you feel about DBE?

Post by Black_Liger » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:02 pm

penguintruth wrote:Still think it's crap. It's a movie that doesn't even know if it wants to be a Dragon Ball movie or not.
That's one of my main concerns with it, while I don't think it's OMG MY CHILDHOOD IS RUNIED type of movie, I do say it gets confused with it's genre, it doesn't know if it's adventure, super hero or fighting movie :S
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:03 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:The movie could have been much worst. Imagine if Micheal Bay was worked on DBE. He would have made Goku into a alien... oh wait :P .
At least it would have better effects.
Last edited by Ringworm128 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:03 pm

Still the same. Saw it once, my little 8 year old brother hated it, as it wasn't his favorite Dragon Ball and that's it.
It was really useless movie.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:09 pm

ringworm128 wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:The movie could have been much worst. Imagine if Micheal Bay was worked on DBE. He would have made Goku into a alien... oh wait :P .
It would be a mindless CG fest. The CG in DBE did look like shit, but the outfits for the creatures that Piccolo created did look good. Practical effects are always better then CG in my opinion. I hate souless CG movies with no good characters or stories like Transformers, Battleship, Willy Wonka (2005), 2012, Alice in Wonderland (2010), Star Wars 1-3 and The Day After Tomorrow.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:15 pm

Episodes 1-3 weren't "souless" they just had a few problems here and there, George Lucas was trying to put a lot of drama into the movies with Anakin Turning into Darth Vader as well as the Clone Wars and the whole Order 66 thing. They definitely had soul and passion Lucas just wasn't able to piece it all together properly.

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:20 pm

I think DBE is still significant to Dragonball.. it's a Hollywood "major motion picture" for Dragonball. That's important. It's neat, it should be part of any collector's stash, the same way Dragonball: The Magic Begins should. Do I think it was a good movie? No. I've only seen it once, and never had any motivation to watch it a second time. But I think it's neat that DBZ basically got a Hollywood movie of its own. How many other animes/mangas can say that? Bet you can count it on one hand!
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution!" -Evil Lord Freeza
The best and most powerful villain in Dragon Ball

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:14 pm

It's a bad movie, but I have fun with it. I went into the movie with low expectations and an open mind and got a good laugh out of it. Though, that's probably not what the director was shooting for. I think it also helped that I saw it with my girlfriend on our one year anniversary so I was already in good spirits. Since it's home release, I've picked up a copy. I ended up finding it for like $5 bucks or something in the Best Buy bargain bin. I've popped it in maybe once or twice and it still amuses me for all the wrong reasons. It's a terrible Dragonball movie, and honestly a bad movie overall but as certain Indie GoGo projects have shown it could have been worse(*cough*).

I feel the same way about this movie as I do the original Street Fighter Movie. It's dorky and stupid but fun to watch with friends when you are bored. Hell, I might show it to my future kids when I eventually have them. It's going to be one of those fun trivia things for generations down the line; kind of like that really bad Mario Bros. cartoon from the 80's. Also, the movie led to Justin Chatwin and Emmy Rossum to do Shameless on Showtime and it's fun as hell. So that's one good thing to come out of it.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:04 pm

Are you kidding me right now? That show was awesome, and I can't think of anyone I know from that generation who didn't adore it and still loves it to this day. What is wrong with you?
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution!" -Evil Lord Freeza
The best and most powerful villain in Dragon Ball

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:24 pm

I do like DBE over The Magic Begins. That movie was so painful to sit through and I'm type of person who loves to watch bad films for fun. I do wish the 1990 Korean film had subs because I saw it once with no subs and it was so random.
She/Her

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:33 am

DBE? I don't know what you are talking about. No sir, not at all.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:36 pm

Sin wrote:DBE is the bane of the universe. It is the answer to all living things that cry out against anime-hollywood adaptations. It is destroyer of a franchise. It is the dark in the light. It is Chatku. Ally to none! Nightmare to you!
I see what you did there! You based your reply on Goku's "I am the hope of the universe speech". Clever! And I completely agree with you!

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:44 pm

ringworm128 wrote:
I'm not sure even Bay could do worse, then again he could possibly find a way.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:49 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
ringworm128 wrote:
I'm not sure even Bay could do worse, then again he could possibly find a way.
I'm inclined to say there's no way that Bay could have done a worse film, since I actually liked the original Transformers film he did at least (the sequels, not so much), but considering what he's doing with the TMNT reboot...*sighs*
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:50 pm

Sin wrote:DBE is the bane of the universe. It is the answer to all living things that cry out against anime-hollywood adaptations. It is destroyer of a franchise. It is the dark in the light. It is Chatku. Ally to none! Nightmare to you!
That.... was beautiful.... *salutes while a tear falls down from eye*
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:56 pm

Initially I was excited for the film. I quite liked the look of the cast. Despite all the hate at the casting choices, I thought Justin Chatwin looked like Goku. I thought Emmy Rossum was an okay casting as Bulma, not the best but far from a disaster I would say... and James Marsters was a great choice for Piccolo. So yeah, I had been waiting for this film since first hearing FOX had the rights for it and was starting to think it would never happen. When it was announced, I was super excited... only to be let down big time.

For me it probably is the worst thing to happen to the Dragonball franchise. FOX didn't exactly show a great deal of confidence or respect to the title from the start though, did they? They still have the rights - we've all seen their title card on Battle of Gods promos but if we are to get a future live action film I hope it is with a different studio. I actually hope we do have a live action move in the past - people have doubts about whether or not it would work. It could definitely be successful, I think, if done right.
Last edited by BlackCatScott on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:57 pm

Bay's DB movie most likely have been the same but it would have had Chi Chi be a total slut and Roshi would be a bad Asian stereotype. I would imagine that they would have shown Shenron's testicles after he was summon from the Dragon Balls :roll: .
She/Her

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:13 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Bay's DB movie most likely have been the same but it would have had Chi Chi be a total slut and Roshi would be a bad Asian stereotype. I would imagine that they would have shown Shenron's testicles after he was summon from the Dragon Balls :roll: .
And it would still be a better movie than DBE.

In 2011, I watched every Dragon Ball live action movie for Dragon Blog. Out of the three, DBE was certainly the worst, and that is saying something. It's a bad movie. It isn't fun, or even so bad it's funny. It's just not good. No one who worked on it particularly cared if it was good, and it shows.

Yet I've still watched it three times. Such is my devotion to Dragon Ball.

Is it the worst movie ever made? No, The Last Airbender has that lofty title.

Is it the worst Dragon Ball movie? By a long stretch. I'll gladly take The Magic Begins and its rubber crocodiles any day.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:41 pm

I've still only watched maybe five minutes of Dragon Ball Evolution and still legitimately tend to forget it ever existed.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:33 pm

And I shall end this topic, with my current favorite quote:
''Four years later, how do you feel about DBE?''
''This isint the funnyist watch how krillon explains to goko how 18andkrillon had a baby freaking funnu''
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:55 pm

The part I'm most disappointed about DBE is the battle Goku Vs. Piccolo, it was way too short.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray