What's cooler?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Re: What's cooler?

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:52 am

SSJ4, it should've been what Super Saiyan looked like in the first place. Although the gold hair and eyes are cool, I think SSJ4 fits with the whole Saiyan Mythology a lot better than 'Oh, your have gold hair and blue-green eyes'. Nakatsuru did a great job with SSJ4. Even though Toriyama didn't design it, it feels very Toriyama to me. Probably because Nakatsuru is basically Toriyama Jr. I probably would like SSJG better if it didn't look like Super Saiya-ken to me. I know it doesn't 100% look like Kaio-Ken, but it seems like an upgraded Kaio-ken rather than something related to Super Saiyan,

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:23 am

I haven't even seen 'Super Saiyan God' firsthand for myself yet, but I've got a feeling that my vote would and eternally will go to Super Saiyan 4. Like others have said, the design motif behind it of bringing back Oozaru and combining it with Super Saiyan is a stroke of genius. If most fans were given the task of, "design a new Super Saiyan form," I'd bet money that most of them wouldn't come up with something so inspired. Super Saiyan 4 is awesome and the one big thing that will always make GT worthwhile for me, no matter how bad the rest of it is.

But even with all that said... I do think Super Saiyan God is getting a little too much undeserved flak in regards to its appearance. Clearly it wasn't meant to be an actual "transformation," but rather a special empowered state of some sort. Heck, apparently it's even supposed to be an entirely different kind of ki than normal. All in all, I think there's a bit of an apples-to-oranges thing going on here.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:06 am

Kaboom wrote:I haven't even seen 'Super Saiyan God' firsthand for myself yet, but I've got a feeling that my vote would and eternally will go to Super Saiyan 4. Like others have said, the design motif behind it of bringing back Oozaru and combining it with Super Saiyan is a stroke of genius. If most fans were given the task of, "design a new Super Saiyan form," I'd bet money that most of them wouldn't come up with something so inspired. Super Saiyan 4 is awesome and the one big thing that will always make GT worthwhile for me, no matter how bad the rest of it is.

But even with all that said... I do think Super Saiyan God is getting a little too much undeserved flak in regards to its appearance. Clearly it wasn't meant to be an actual "transformation," but rather a special empowered state of some sort. Heck, apparently it's even supposed to be an entirely different kind of ki than normal. All in all, I think there's a bit of an apples-to-oranges thing going on here.
My thought process exactly.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:08 am

Until I see an official picture of Super Saiyan God, I can't have an opinion for this.
Kaboom wrote:Clearly it wasn't meant to be an actual "transformation"
But it is a transformation. Aura changed, hair color changed, hairstyle changed, eye color changed, power increased. If Super Saiyan God is not a transformation, then the normal Super Saiyan form is not a transformation either.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:39 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Until I see an official picture of Super Saiyan God, I can't have an opinion for this.
Kaboom wrote:Clearly it wasn't meant to be an actual "transformation"
But it is a transformation. Aura changed, hair color changed, hairstyle changed, eye color changed, power increased. If Super Saiyan God is not a transformation, then the normal Super Saiyan form is not a transformation either.
SSJ God itself is a transformation, but in the long term it works more as a powerup (since the transformation itself wears off but the power is still tappable).
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:36 pm

The real question is...what's stronger?

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:44 pm

Nightstar1994 wrote:The real question is...what's stronger?
Who cares? They don't appear to be within the same continuity.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:59 pm

Super Vegetto is stated to be "perhaps stronger than a Super Saiyan 4" in a section of the GT TV Special Animation Comic, and it was released during the time where Goku was the only Super Saiyan 4. Since Bills is the strongest being in the "History of Z", then he is stronger than Super Vegetto, and Super Saiyan 4 Goku. Super Saiyan God Goku was almost equal with Bills, so if SSG Goku (DBZ) is stronger than SS4 Goku (GT), then Super Saiyan God gives a greater power up than Super Saiyan 4.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:45 pm

MDSTSSJ wrote:Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I was never a fan of that pink fur. Actual brown would have been better IMO.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:50 pm

deleted
Last edited by Fox666 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:13 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:
Who cares? They don't appear to be within the same continuity.
Everyone should care. Continuity or not, it's nice to speculate and give answers like DBZGTKOSDH.
Super Vegetto is stated to be "perhaps stronger than a Super Saiyan 4" in a section of the GT TV Special Animation Comic,
Strange i've never heard of that previously o.0

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:26 pm

Nightstar1994 wrote:
Super Vegetto is stated to be "perhaps stronger than a Super Saiyan 4" in a section of the GT TV Special Animation Comic,
All of us learned that recently. Scans & translations.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:30 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Nightstar1994 wrote:
All of us learned that recently. Scans & translations.
But thats the anime comics, not a guide book. Its also in Cantonese and not Japanese which also makes it hard for me to believe this is official.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:34 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:But thats the anime comics, not a guide book. Its also in Cantonese and not Japanese which also makes it hard for me to believe this is official.
They are official. And until the line is proven wrong (which I doubt), then it's a fact for me.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:37 pm

deleted
Last edited by Fox666 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:38 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:But thats the anime comics, not a guide book. Its also in Cantonese and not Japanese which also makes it hard for me to believe this is official.
They are official. And until the line is proven wrong (which I doubt), then it's a fact for me.
You sure they are official? They are in the wrong language. Are they a product of toei. Seems odd to put this info in a anime comic and not in the GT perfect files.
Fox666 wrote:The anime comics are an 100% valid source, at least when it comes to the anime adaptations, which is the case here.
How recent are these. I also ask as to why this info is lacking from the GT perfect files.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:39 pm

deleted
Last edited by Fox666 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:41 pm

They are official. It's the GT TV Special one, over there. It's just a Cantonese translation from the Japanese.

MDSTSSJ
Regular

Post by MDSTSSJ » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:51 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Super Vegetto is stated to be "perhaps stronger than a Super Saiyan 4" in a section of the GT TV Special Animation Comic, and it was released during the time where Goku was the only Super Saiyan 4. Since Bills is the strongest being in the "History of Z", then he is stronger than Super Vegetto, and Super Saiyan 4 Goku. Super Saiyan God Goku was almost equal with Bills, so if SSG Goku (DBZ) is stronger than SS4 Goku (GT), then Super Saiyan God gives a greater power up than Super Saiyan 4.
:problem: The word " perhaps " it´s a word without security, without conclucion my friend.

Birusu is the strongest caracter in DBZ and Kakarotto SSG is almost equal. Based on the Kakarotto monstrous battle power in GT, for me SSJ4 is stronger than Birusu.
Last edited by MDSTSSJ on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:58 pm

MDSTSSJ wrote: :problem: The word " perhaps " it´s a word without security, without conclucion my friend.
Since they use the word "perhaps", it means that Vegetto is most likely the strongest one, and I choose to go by that.