Dragon Ball Runaways - Interview with the Director

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DerekPadula
Regular

Dragon Ball Runaways - Interview with the Director

Post by DerekPadula » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:04 am

Hi everyone. I interviewed Ray Savaya, the director of the Dragon Ball Runaways fan film that came out in late 2012.

http://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog/inte ... interview/

Turns out he wants to do a whole web series. Thought you might find the interview interesting.
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Runaways - Interview with the Director

Post by El Diabeetus » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:13 am

Read the interview, great job with it! You managed to have him give some insight we wouldn't have known about. I like the approach he's thought about, a more subtle story driven movie is perfect than trying to do an over-the-top movie first. I'll keep up with it!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:18 am

Shouldn't this be in Fan Works? Who's even heard of this?
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:57 am

penguintruth wrote:Shouldn't this be in Fan Works? Who's even heard of this?
I`ve heard about it several times! It looks pretty good, one of the better fan works.

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:25 am

Just saw it and it reminds me of that Tin Tin/Dragon Ball crossover in that it takes a little more realistic side. I actually like it very much! It's a truly different and refreshing take on Dragon Ball that I'd really want to know more of. How awesome would it be if this actually grew in the same style as Dragon Ball did :p Becoming huge over time, but still focusing on character :p The interview was good too :p good questions.

I do agree that this should be moved to Fan-works though.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:09 am

Yeah, this probably does need to be in Fan Works. That's where the posting of the first thread about this fan-film was I think, wasn't it?

Either way, I found the interview pretty interesting, and I really hope they do get to do more later. I found what they did in Runaways to be a lot more interesting to me than what was done in 'Saiyan Saga', so I'd be excited to see where it goes next.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:16 pm

I'm glad you guys liked it. Thanks for the compliments about the interview.

I considered posting it to the Fan Works section but then I did a search for Saiyan Saga and noticed it was in the General Franchise Discussion, so I posted this there as well. That's cool if a mod wants to move it.
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:14 pm

Best live action related to db I've ever seen. it's a little bit Serious but I can take it as a Nolan ver. of db XD
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.