Anyone else bothered by this? (TFS related)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Gazellian
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Anyone else bothered by this? (TFS related)

Post by Super Gazellian » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:10 am

Duo wrote:
Super Gazellian wrote:Well for me I kinda, actually like the filler :oops: And I don't really like some of the new choices for the voices, though admittedly that's probably nostalgia influenced.

Speaking of voices, I'm another one who gets bothered by people saying MasakoX is best English Goku. I will say though Lanipator's Vegeta is the voice that I hear when I think of Vegeta. So nice one, Lanipator :clap:

And yes, I use emoticons like a 12 year old girl :lol:
I bet you don't like the Goku vs Freeza filler.

Why do statements in favor of MasakoX bother you if you're willing to say that Lanipator is the best Vegeta?

Emoticons don't make you a 12-year old girl, I'm just poking fun :)
Well I guess you gotta take the good with the bad sometimes, haha (Okay you got me there :P )

And well they bother me because I don't really like his Goku voice, it does well enough for a parody but I could never listen to him as an actual Goku, kinda too feminine for my tastes. Yes, I know Nozawa is a woman but I wouldn't say she sounded feminine as Goku.

But yeah, I'm not necessarily saying Lanipator is the best Vegeta, I think it was a mix of me acknowledging that there definitely is talent in TFS and me trying to show I'm not so closed minded to not accept anything than the Funi dub x)

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:29 am

It bothers me when people pay more attention to abridged series or parody dubs over the original work in general. It's honestly kind of depressing. This view mostly stems from friends and acquaintances of mine only ever watching DBZ and other series if they're dubbed over with stupid, unfunny parody voices cursing a lot. From what I've experienced personally, actual anime fans are guilty of it too.

I'm of course speaking solely of the absolute throwaway parody dubs, not TFS. Even though I'm no longer a fan of it and consider the jokes about as annoying as memes, TFS isn't that vapid. I still feel the same way about it as far as people watching and talking about it though, it's annoying to overhear any conversation about Dragon Ball always revolving around some gag from TFS instead of the actual franchise.

As for the TFS voice cast, MasakoX is a talented voice actor and definitely a good fit for Goku. People preferring the other actors over their official counterparts is a little ridiculous though... :?
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:38 pm

Super Gazellian wrote:Well I guess you gotta take the good with the bad sometimes, haha (Okay you got me there :P )

And well they bother me because I don't really like his Goku voice, it does well enough for a parody but I could never listen to him as an actual Goku, kinda too feminine for my tastes. Yes, I know Nozawa is a woman but I wouldn't say she sounded feminine as Goku.

But yeah, I'm not necessarily saying Lanipator is the best Vegeta, I think it was a mix of me acknowledging that there definitely is talent in TFS and me trying to show I'm not so closed minded to not accept anything than the Funi dub x)
That's true. I had to go through that when I collected all of the Viz DBZ manga. There's bitterness to this day.
Far as the Freeza fight goes, however, there's a lot that could be said with what went wrong there. Even Kai somehow ended up having a crapload of (EXCEPTIONALLY TERRIBLE) filler during that stretch.

You're the first devoted dub-watcher I know of whom didn't respond to Goku's Japanese voice by saying it sounds insanely feminine (myself included, 10 years ago), so props to you.

Lanipator's Vegeta sounds like Christ Sabat's Vegeta (Kai) to me. Very little difference. Very good voice acting on both parts.

Super Gazellian
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Super Gazellian » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:26 pm

Duo wrote:
That's true. I had to go through that when I collected all of the Viz DBZ manga. There's bitterness to this day.
Far as the Freeza fight goes, however, there's a lot that could be said with what went wrong there. Even Kai somehow ended up having a crapload of (EXCEPTIONALLY TERRIBLE) filler during that stretch.

You're the first devoted dub-watcher I know of whom didn't respond to Goku's Japanese voice by saying it sounds insanely feminine (myself included, 10 years ago), so props to you.

Lanipator's Vegeta sounds like Christ Sabat's Vegeta (Kai) to me. Very little difference. Very good voice acting on both parts.
Oh hey I'm collecting the vizbigs at the moment when and where I can, LOVING them :D I couldn't get into the manga properly before but there's a difference between reading scanlations on the internet and actually having the pages to smell and feel in your hands :)

And no well I'll admit I'm one of those annoying guys that doesn't like Japanese Goku because of how high pitched the voice is, but from what I've listened to I can definitely appreciate the talent that's gone into that role. I'll go even further to say it's amazing how a woman can make a man with a very high pitched voice still sound male when there are some VA's that make younger boys sound purely like girls, not gonna name any names though :roll:

And yeah I think the reason I like Lanipator's Vegeta is because it's like Sabat but the script allows for a little more personality and flare in his voice, it's basically Sabat's Vegeta having fun, so that's nice. :)

TheWhiz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheWhiz » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:11 pm

ABED wrote:Two things that bother me about it:
1) I occasionally see people talk about VAs for Goku and rank MasakoX. He's part of a fandub, so he doens't count. I don't know why it bothers me but it does.
2) It's valid to critique even things you enjoy but the whole purpose of the show is humor and humor as a rule tends to undercut stuff, so I question the purpose of it. Are they poking fun at a show they enjoy?
Yeah, that first reason is something that I have seen a lot on some DBZ videos. I even seen it on some Ocean & FUNi comparison videos O_o

TheWhiz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheWhiz » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:17 pm

Gonstead wrote:My only real issue is when people insist that TFS cast members are leaps and bounds better than their Funimation/Ocean counterparts and also insist they should be the official voices instead.

Like I've said in the past, TFS cast members are great for their more comedic portrayal of the characters. Would they work in a more official way? No, I don't believe so (Again, no offense Kaiser and co).
"THIS"

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:32 pm

Kuwabara wrote:It bothers me when people pay more attention to abridged series or parody dubs over the original work in general. It's honestly kind of depressing. This view mostly stems from friends and acquaintances of mine only ever watching DBZ and other series if they're dubbed over with stupid, unfunny parody voices cursing a lot. From what I've experienced personally, actual anime fans are guilty of it too.

I'm of course speaking solely of the absolute throwaway parody dubs, not TFS. Even though I'm no longer a fan of it and consider the jokes about as annoying as memes, TFS isn't that vapid. I still feel the same way about it as far as people watching and talking about it though, it's annoying to overhear any conversation about Dragon Ball always revolving around some gag from TFS instead of the actual franchise.

As for the TFS voice cast, MasakoX is a talented voice actor and definitely a good fit for Goku. People preferring the other actors over their official counterparts is a little ridiculous though... :?
I don't know, I personally prefer TFS Frieza to Linda Young's portrayal. Also, I feel their depiction of Recoome is much better than in the Funimation dub.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Ketchup_Revenge
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ketchup_Revenge » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:28 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Well, my first exposure to the show was through the edited dub, and that's like a comedy version...

Bazinga!

Seriously, though, while it is nice to have a perfect introduction to a franchise, that usually doesn't happen, so whatever hooks you, hooks you. Most fans are smart enough to extrapolate what they've seen out of sequence into its real context when it gets a chance. Except for people who ONLY watch the Abridged version, I don't think there's any worry about people confusing the two.
I was more distracted by the Bazinga. Instantly got me thinking about Sheldon Cooper.
I wipe it off the tile, the light is brighter this time, everything is 3D blasphemy.
My eyes are red and gold, the hair is standing straight up, this is not the way I picture me.
I can't control my shakes, how the hell did I get here? Something about this, so very wrong.
I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn't like this. Is it a dream or a memory?

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:57 pm

I'm annoyed by it. I've encountered people who, in reference to the series, tend to quote the Abridged Series as if it were a direct reference to Dragon Ball. :|
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:34 am

Thanos wrote:I'm annoyed by it. I've encountered people who, in reference to the series, tend to quote the Abridged Series as if it were a direct reference to Dragon Ball. :|
THIS. It was okay at first. Now, it is just frustrating.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:55 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:I don't know, I personally prefer TFS Freeza to Linda Young's portrayal. Also, I feel their depiction of Recoome is much better than in the Funimation dub.
I wasn't really thinking about them when I made my post, more the main cast of protagonists. I can see how someone would prefer both of those though, especially the former of the two. But personally, I'll always prefer Chris Ayres as Freeza over Linda Young and LittleKuriboh combined.
Thanos wrote:I'm annoyed by it. I've encountered people who, in reference to the series, tend to quote the Abridged Series as if it were a direct reference to Dragon Ball. :|
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Let me re-emphasize that TFS itself doesn't even come close to approaching this level of badness, but to me what Thanos speaks of is about as off-putting as someone bringing up a shitty Geocities DBZ fan-fic with Bruce Faulconer MIDIs playing in the background into a serious conversation about the series. And no, based off real life conversations I've had with other fans, my example isn't hyperbolic at all. :crazy:
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Nikkolas
Regular

Post by Nikkolas » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:31 am

I got into Berserk because of Berserk Abridged. hbi2k is an awesome guy and he told any viewers who might be watching BAS before they see the actual anime that they should go and watch that before finishing the abridged series.

And ya know what? I am grateful he said that. The anime and manga are fantastic.

So, no, I don't see a problem with getting into the series with TFS so long as the person is actually watching/reding the real series.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:55 am

This is what really annoys me. For example, TV Tropes has TFS quotes attached to pretty much every Dragon Ball related entry instead of just keeping them to the entries for TFS/DBZA.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:18 pm

I wouldn't be against a fan-parody if it leads to more people checking out the original source. Maybe then they'll "get" more of the jokes/references that DBZA is referring to. As much as I don't like Yu-Gi-Oh, or much care for YGO Abridged anymore, at least the parody got me to watch a few episodes of the actual. Now I at least understand some of the aspects YGOA was parodying. That's also why I'm not totally comfortable with folks only watching the FUNi DBZ dub, and never watching the uncut Japanese version.

Yeah, and whoever says the DBZA cast is the best cast is full of it. Either that, or they don't know what real acting is. Being funny, spouting one-liners, and yelling a lot doesn't necessarily make one a good, well-rounded actor. As much as I think the DBZA cast does a good job at their parody series, I refuse to believe most of them would be cast in, or be really convincing in a true, for reals anime dub. Of course, I could be wrong; I haven't heard anything from these people outside of DBZA and YGOA. Look at it this way: the TFS crew's voices for their characters are mostly influenced the original voice casts (both English & Japanese.) If one likes the TFS take, watch the real show to see the original takes on these characters.

That being said, keep up the good work, TFS. I always enjoy your work.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:54 pm

OUR CAST IS THE BEST ENGLISH ABRIDGED CAST IN ALL OF THE ENGLISH SPEAKING WORLD INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED OT THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA

But naw, seriously. I personally believe the cast I work with is unbelievably talented and hard working. Are they the best cast for DBZ? Pft, we're a parody fandub. ;P

Although I will say... Until Ayres came around, Martin (LittleKuriboh) was THE best English Freeza. I'll say that without even the slightest bit of hesitation.

I will say, it's a combination of flattering, exciting and distressing to see the overwhelming impact we've had on the franchise. We like to think we've helped the series by generating some buzz and promoting it in a new way, but I can see how our presence over time can be a little... annoying.

Lastly... Masako's Goku is adorable. The best? I think that's sort of a preference... But I find it to be incredibly charming. Not "better" than Schemmel, but eh.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:42 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:Although I will say... Until Ayres came around, Martin (LittleKuriboh) was THE best English Freeza. I'll say that without even the slightest bit of hesitation.

I will say, it's a combination of flattering, exciting and distressing to see the overwhelming impact we've had on the franchise. We like to think we've helped the series by generating some buzz and promoting it in a new way, but I can see how our presence over time can be a little... annoying.

Lastly... Masako's Goku is adorable. The best? I think that's sort of a preference... But I find it to be incredibly charming. Not "better" than Schemmel, but eh.
You guys are very talented and dedicated, I like some of the crazy and unique directions you've taken with the story and characters. At the very least, you succeed with humor and comedic timing, in a way that the FUNimation dubs never have. I just find the fans who are only into DBZA to the exclusion of the original series that has inspired you to be bothersome. I agree with your feelings on LittleKuriboh's Freeza, he was totally fitting for the character, and brings an absolute smile to my face whenever he's onscreen. He's like TFS' Mark Hamill!
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:50 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:OUR CAST IS THE BEST ENGLISH ABRIDGED CAST IN ALL OF THE ENGLISH SPEAKING WORLD INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED OT THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA

But naw, seriously. I personally believe the cast I work with is unbelievably talented and hard working. Are they the best cast for DBZ? Pft, we're a parody fandub. ;P

Although I will say... Until Ayres came around, Martin (LittleKuriboh) was THE best English Freeza. I'll say that without even the slightest bit of hesitation.

I WANT TO LAUNCH PRAISE AT YOU FOR EVERYTHING YOU DO.

But it's good that you have such a level head about it. I'd give you guys a shot for a serious dub anytime, but the present cast is also very talented and respectable. What's fair is fair, and you've given me many new ways to enjoy the series I would have never expected.

SSJJezter
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJJezter » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:19 pm

I think part of the brilliance behind DBZ Abridged is that it rewards people who are already fans with witty, fantastic inside jokes.
KaiserNeko wrote: Lastly... Masako's Goku is adorable. The best? I think that's sort of a preference... But I find it to be incredibly charming. Not "better" than Schemmel, but eh.
I genuinely prefer Masako's Goku because he brings the fun and games, light-hearted side of Goku out much better in my opinion.