So guys best OVA, Special or Movie?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MarCas92
Regular

So guys best OVA, Special or Movie?

Post by MarCas92 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:33 pm

In my opinion, without a doubt"Yo! Son Goku and his Friends Return!" I felt that this was the ultimate love letter to fans of the series, mixing in the best aspects from both Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z and it reminded me why I love these characters and why I still re watch this amazing series. 2nd place would definitely be the Bardock TV Special. It is so unlike anything in the rest of the series, but still manages to feel like Dragon Ball Z. It's a character study more than anything and I think it''s the most sophisticated Dragon Ball ever got in terms of the writing.

What are your guys' faves?
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Re: So guys best OVA, Special or Movie?

Post by Avenged » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:42 pm

Trunks and Bardock specials.
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:41 am

I love the Bardock and Trunk's Specials, I also like the path to power (best music by far) and Fusion Reborn.

Also I love the first Broly Movie *dodges rocks thrown at me) xD
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:52 am

I won't really know until I see Battle of Gods haha, but right now the best ova is Yo! Son Goku IMO... the best movie is Movie 12... the best special is the trunks special.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:58 am

Also in the group of Jump 08 special is my current fave, but it's really looking like BOG will usurp it; I just need to get to watch the movie first. *u*
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:01 am

OVA: Yo! Son Goku and his friends return!
Special: Bardock
Movie: Tie between Movie 1, 2 and 12

Although, Battle of Gods just might beat those 3. I'm really starting to like Birusu.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:48 am

OVA: Yo! Son Goku and his friends return!
Special: Bardock
Movie: Tie between Movie 1, 5 and 13

I think BOG will be high ony m list too.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:12 am

Movies 5 and 8. I haven't seen either of the OVA's though, and I've been trying to avoid details on the new movie.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

chaosyoshimage
Beyond Newbie

Post by chaosyoshimage » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:55 am

The Path to Power is absolutely gorgeous and is IMO, the best looking Dragon Ball animation to date. And this is from someone that's only seen it on a crappy used VHS. Storywise, I'd say the first Bardock special is the best, but for that lighthearted tone of the original manga, Yo! Son Goku and Friends Return is the best around. My personal favorite though? The first Cooler film. All nostalgia, but I really love it.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:05 am

Hm, I absolutely love the Trunks and Bardock TV Specials; Jump Anime Tour Special was great fun as well.

In terms of movies, I like all of them but my absolute favourites are 1, 8, 9, 11, 15, 16 and 17- admittedly, I've only seen Movie 1 once (yes, I watched it on YouTube. :oops: ) but from what I remember I really enjoyed it (this was the new dub from 2010 by the way).

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:17 am

Hmmmm.... Don't know why, but since the 90's one, I love the story of Plan to destroy Saiyajin. It's my Baby arc from GT but in my Z canon :)
I love the design of Hachihyaku, more so from the days of internet rumors back in 90's like hidden/lost OAV and secret villain, the backstory with Tsufuru is cool and it's not that mess like GT.
Where you have Dr. Myu, who actually was created by Baby and where the hell did Baby came from and such. Here you have it. Scientist from Tsufuru race, who wants the revenge, so he creates machine, that can materialize revenge into warriors. Sadly, Baby is more interesting foe than Hachihyaku, as Hachihyaku is simply a damn strong Buffon like Broly, with no special powers and retarded recharge going for 15 seconds. Is he an android actually?

But the best for me is 2008 Special and Trunks and Bardock's specials, which actually expanded on the series.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:00 am

OVA: Yo! Son Goku...
Special: Both the Bardock & Trunks specials...so many feels.
Movie: The first Broly movie, Wrath of the Dragon & The Path to Power.

Who knows, maybe Battle of Gods will take the #1 spot.
One World. 🌐 🕊

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scott » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:07 am

Wrath of the Dragon, Tapion and Hirudigarn are awesome.

I also like Bojack Unbound, this is one movie that i would love to have seen a proper saga made out of.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:52 pm

This is a tough choice for me, I dunno if I can pick just one for each or not...but let's see here.

Movie: It's actually a tough choice for me between Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan and Wrath of the Dragon. The first Broly movie has more going for it than most people give it credit for I think, they get so focused on their hate for how overrated the villain is. It's got the longest length out of any of the Z era films, makes decent use of it, and has some great fight scenes. Overall though, it does fit in to the same mold as the rest of the films - movie 13 however, shakes things up a bit. We get a new hero as well as a new villain, a new technique, a very different kind of backdrop for the fight. Shameless rip-off of the Majin Buu situation aside, this movie is more original than any of the other ones, and I've always enjoyed it for that.

Oh, I am expecting Battle of Gods to probably blow both of these out of the water with ease though.

Special: I kind of look at all the non-series and non-movie entries into the franchise as 'specials', for simplicity, but since I assume this just means out of the TV specials...then I have to go with Bardock: The Father of Goku. I'm not as big on the character as I used to be, but I still find him to be an awesome character, and it was great to get a story that was really far removed from the main story and cast. The Trunks special is great too, but it is entirely connected to the series in a way that this special isn't.

OVA: Duh, Episode of Bardock man! :P

...Okay, I'm kidding. I don't hate that feature, but...yeah. My real pick for favorite would have to be Yo! Son Goku and Friends Return or whatever it's called. It may be a little light on action, but it makes up for that with some great humor, and there's still some joy I get out of watching it since it was our first truly new DB material in YEARS when it came out. I think that's another reason I'm looking so forward to Battle of Gods, is it's our first SUBSTANTIAL new material in years.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:14 pm

Movie: Tree of Might or Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan.

Special: Tie between Bardock and Trunks special. Love em both.

OVA: Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans (the original).
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:51 pm

The first Broly movie has more going for it than most people give it credit for I think, they get so focused on their hate for how overrated the villain is. It's got the longest length out of any of the Z era films, makes decent use of it, and has some great fight scenes.
The fighting ruined it for me, if it was better in that department it would probably be my favourite along with #13 and #5.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:54 pm

3, 5, and BtFoG
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Elton Stryker
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Elton Stryker » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:20 am

Saiyajin Zetsu Metsu Keikaku 1993
Bardock Tv Special
Super 13 movie
Chrono is son of Gogeta,Dai is son of Gohan!

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:02 am

Bardock's my favorite movie or special, simply for being very different from what's usually shown in the series, being about a heavily flawed, even downright evil character who nonetheless has just enough redeeming qualities to make him seem happy, who tries to change the future, but ultimately can't. The villain is simply too powerful, and the Bardock's fate was sealed the moment Freeza decided to kill the saiyans. Yet he was still defiant to the end, and died knowing that, in time, Freeza would fall. His story also adds a lot to the background of the series (detailing how and why Freeza exterminated the saiyans) and makes Freeza seem like an even cooler and more crucial villain.

I don't really think I can call any of the movies my favorite, since they all have pretty basic stories. I can tell you my favorite movie villains: Cooler and Janemba.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:09 am

Film: Dead Zone
OVA: Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans
Special: Bardock the Father of Goku

Not only is Bardock TV-Special a great special to watch, but the theme of Bardock featured is spectacular.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray