Got my girlfriend into Dragonball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Re: Got my girlfriend into Dragonball

Post by Rocketman » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:21 pm

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:29 pm

Smochi wrote:What about Powerpuff Girls Z? :D

I still gotta watch all of that series :P
Please check out my Youtube channel GLEclipseGaming
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8otmN ... FvDYiaKt9w

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:33 pm

Enjoy it while it lasts.
Listen to Rocketman. I got my girl to read all 42 volumes a few years back...she finished the last one just before Kai started airing on NickToons. Then she watched all the way up to the end of Freeza with that...annnnnd that's about it. While it was still fresh in her mind I could get some decent conversation out of her about it but now...she occasionally watches DBZA but that's about it. I try to talk to her about Battle of Gods and she's just like "Meh...doesn't sound interesting" I suppose reading the 42 entire manga was enough for her. So yeah enjoy it while it lasts... -__-
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:08 pm

Not necessarily, some of the members on this forum are living proof that girls can also be fans of DB. So even though there's a chance she'll lose interest there's also a chance she could grow to really like the series.

mister yummy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mister yummy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:53 pm

Sorry to necropost, but on this occasion, I think it is appropriate. Just now, me and my girlfreind Julie finished the Dragonball GT TV Special, DVR'd off Nicktoons network. It was the last of it. She and I watched every single episode in chronological order, all the movies(except DBZ 11 and Path to Power), and all the TV specials(except Episode of Bardock and the 2 plans to eradicate). The movies we watched when they seemed to fit best, DB 1 between Boss Rabbit and Pilaf, 2 and 3 during Roshi's Training, DBZ 1 & 2 before Radditz, 3, 4, 5, and 6 between Trunks and the Androids saga, 8 in the 10 days peace, 9 after the cell games, 10 between Videl learning to fly and the tournament, 12 and 13 after Buu but before end of Z. We watched History of Trunks after the Cell Games, but before Free the Future, and Bardock during Goku's fight with Freeza. We watched it all in the English dub, mostly off of the bricks and DB Saga sets, but with a VHS or TV episode here and there. We sampled the first dubs of Dragonball and DBZ, and we even watched a fansub of Battle of Gods before the end of Z. Finally, we watched the GT TV Special tonight. It's been a long ride, more than 18 months, and some 400 hours watching time.

Julie cried a bit as it was coming close to the end. "I Don't want it to be over!". We listened to the horrible "Step into the Grant Tour" one last time as it played over the end credits of A Hero's Legacy, and then we were done. There are still a bit of stragglers here and there, stuff you can't really shoehorn into the story, and movie 11, where my DVD was cracked and wouldn't play. No big loss there. There's also DBKai, but strangely, she doesn't seem to interested in that...

Now' we're considering other anime to watch together. We've sampled a bit of pokemon and Sailor Moon, 2 of my other favorites, and we're fairly firm on Excel Saga next. It's short and hillarious, so it should go quick.

Thanks for listening and putting up with my necropost. Girls CAN get into DBZ. And it's awesome when they do!

Neshawn
Beyond Newbie

Post by Neshawn » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:43 pm

mister yummy wrote:Faced with the prospect of being at my girlfreind's house for sveral days with no TV, I brought along my PS2 and some DVD's to see if she and I could find something good to watch together. I brought lots of anime, and asked about each one. She didn't like any of them. i had Cardcaptor Sakura, Naruto, Excel Saga(she kinda liked this), Vandread, Taruto, and of course Dragonball. Each title she said she didn't like. When i asked her why she didn't like Dragonball, she said she'd never really seen it. So, I popped the DVD in, Blue Brick disc 1, and she really got into it! Afterwards, she told me she had thought Dragonball was like Pokémon, but with Dragons. She loved how funny it is, and all the fighting. She identified with Bulma and Lunch, and thinks Goku is so cute!

So, fast forward a while, and we've cleared the blue box, and the first 5 Saga Sets. We're in the middle of Fortune Teller Baba, and she's enthralled. She even watched some Dragonball Kai, and said "I saw Goku's son! He's so cute!

Have any of you got your partners into Dragonball?
Good work! I don't know you, but you are my new role model.
"I'm THE BEAN DADDY!"

JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by JackyBoi99 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:53 am

My ex girlfriend was really into Inuyasha, fullmetal alchemist and rurouni kenshin. I love those shows but she wasn't into dragon ball... :(
It is clear that sometime in Mark Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.

98% of Kanzenshuu-goers have not kissed a girl. If you're one of the 2% that has, copy and paste this into your signature.
- Kid Buu

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:39 am

See Kid Buu's signature for my attempt.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Tracer1
Beyond Newbie

Re: Got my Girlfreind into Dragonball

Post by Tracer1 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:37 am

Zephyr wrote:Actually used the Abridged series to get my girlfriend interested in the series. She's not a huge fan of it or anything, but she cosplayed as Videl last year! :D
Post a pic ^_^

kazamino
Not-So-Newbie

Post by kazamino » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:33 pm

the girls I've dated weren't really huge Dragon Ball fans like I have been in the past 10 years or so, but they did enjoy spending time with me and a good portion of that time was spent either watching the anime or playing video games when we spent nights indoors... cosplay wasn't out of the question but we never got around to it because we'd keep missing deadlines to pre-register for conventions. (not to mention that we were kinda lazy in costume making) I will say that the current girl I'm seeing on again and off again is willing to play Xenoverse with me when it comes out. She won't watch Kai or GT with me but she is planning on buying me a blu-ray of Battle of Gods and spending the night to watch it with me.

It wasn't really a big deal for me if they liked it or not... I'd like to think that they gave it a chance because I didn't try to force it down their throats, much like I gave their shounen-ai interests a peek. I can honestly say that maybe there was one girl who probably ended up loving Dragon Ball more than I did at the time after I introduced her to Mr. Satan
In a world of approximately seven billion people, the irony is that wandering around... is the fastest way to get noticed

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:02 am

My husband was already a fan when we first met - by the way I cannot imagine ever being in a realtionship with someone who'd actively dislike manga and anime - it's such an integral part of my life. Also while I never got around to buying the manga (I was more interested in getting the more obscure/exclusive stuff like artbooks etc) my husband had it all in Polish - he's more of a manga person (thinks animes are way too drawn-out) so I had a hard time convincing him to watch BoG with me but when he agreed he loved it.
Now he's helping me when I translate DBM into Polish - he doesn't know French but he has a great knowledge of Polish style so he polishes my translations :)

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:32 am

Kaboom wrote:I opted for the lazy route — a girlfriend who already liked the series. 8)
Same here. 8)

Well, I mean, I haven't, y'know, actually found one yet...

Oh, but when I do...
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:52 pm

My boyfriend isn't really a fan of the series, but he loves the art - he's a big fan of plenty of anime and manga but thinks Toriyama's art is some of the best in the business. So you're much more likely to catch him checking out the Chogashu than anything else. I've tried to get him into the series proper but he's never really got into it.