Got my girlfriend into Dragonball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mister yummy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Got my girlfriend into Dragonball

Post by mister yummy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:02 am

Faced with the prospect of being at my girlfreind's house for sveral days with no TV, I brought along my PS2 and some DVD's to see if she and I could find something good to watch together. I brought lots of anime, and asked about each one. She didn't like any of them. i had Cardcaptor Sakura, Naruto, Excel Saga(she kinda liked this), Vandread, Taruto, and of course Dragonball. Each title she said she didn't like. When i asked her why she didn't like Dragonball, she said she'd never really seen it. So, I popped the DVD in, Blue Brick disc 1, and she really got into it! Afterwards, she told me she had thought Dragonball was like Pokémon, but with Dragons. She loved how funny it is, and all the fighting. She identified with Bulma and Lunch, and thinks Goku is so cute!

So, fast forward a while, and we've cleared the blue box, and the first 5 Saga Sets. We're in the middle of Fortune Teller Baba, and she's enthralled. She even watched some Dragonball Kai, and said "I saw Goku's son! He's so cute!

Have any of you got your partners into Dragonball?

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Re: Got my Girlfreind into Dragonball

Post by Black_Liger » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:39 am

I don't have a girlfriend but this sounds like a hell of a great time!.

So did you get to the part when Goku reunites with Granpa Gohan? Did she cry?
did she become sad with the sad parts? tell us!

Also POKEMON BUT WITH DRAGONS?

EX!
DEE!
Good one xD
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Smochi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Smochi » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:46 am

My ex had the box sets of Sailor Moon, I had them on Dragonball/Z. I promised to watch Sailor Moon if he did DBZ!

My boyfriend hasn't seen it, but knows basically everything import before the Buu saga.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:10 am

*In my best Darth Sideous impression* Gooooood, soon she will be one of us.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:57 am

I don't have a girlfriend and if I did, I wouldn't introduce her to Dragon Ball, I'd prefer live action series such as Dexter; Breaking Bad; The Office; Arrested Development; Supernatural; Running Wilde; New Girl; The Walking Dead; The Middle; My Name is Earl, or lastly, Community.

That Changnesia is a load of crap, I never bought it, the guy was faking it all right, it's Chang. Btw, this is from Community.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

ChahikoDBZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ChahikoDBZ » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:38 am

I've been trying for two years straight to get my Fiancee into Dragon Ball. So far, very small luck if any. When she was watching it with me she didn't want to stop watching it but once she did, she let herself lose interest. It's a very annoying process so I've pretty much given up. :(

But she's half Japanese so it's nice to have someone who translates a lot of the new stuff for me into English.
(Fanfiction link coming soon.)

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:47 am

I'd say yes because my boyfriend does want to watch DB...But I don't have the first 13 episodes in Japanese. Aside from the fact that the English dub is terrible, he doesn't like watching English dubs in general. I guess I'll lend him the comics. But the subtitles are so much more accurate... Blah. Why must you make the decision so hard, Viz?

I guess he's already seen every episode of DBZ Abridged, and every episode of Kai... Would've been nice if he could have started from the beginning.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:56 am

Actually used the Abridged series to get my girlfriend interested in the series. She's not a huge fan of it or anything, but she cosplayed as Videl last year! :D

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:05 am

My girlfriend is fan of the Japanese version, but not hardcore. She read like half the manga in Japanese and seen all series in Japanese and didn't liked GT. Her favorites are Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop and Saint Seiya tough. Dragon Ball is mine domain :)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:58 am

I did get my partner into Dragon Ball, she wanted to watch it because she's come across lots of fans and so we watched it together. At first she seemed to really like it, and think it was funny and like the characters, but it seems like she's gradually lost interest as comedy was phased out slightly in favour of more action, and I think now, at the start of the 22nd Tenkaichi Bodoukai, we've come to a standstill. We've only watched four episodes in the last few months and I think it's pretty much over now.

It's difficult for me to ask if she wants to watch DB because she knows I'm such a big fan and I don't want to seem like I'm nagging or trying to push my interest on her, and it used to be her that suggested we put it on anyway. At some point I might suggest she try the manga instead until we get to Kai, because the pacing is an issue, but the anime pays more attention to a lot of the character stuff that she likes best, Toriyama was never too great with that stuff, so I dunno.
Last edited by Fizzer on Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saiyan Prince Vegeta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Saiyan Prince Vegeta » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:12 am

How lucky, I wish I could have a girlfriend who likes DB. :P

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:07 pm

Not quite the same story as what you're going for here, but it's actually the opposite for me - it was my girlfriend who got me into DBZ. This was years and years back when I was in 6th grade and her in 7th though (so...2000, 2001-ish, I guess), and we were only friends then. If it weren't for her, I wouldn't be into DB or a lot of the other shows I'm into today...so I can blame her for how nerdy I am now. :P
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Kaboom

Re: Got my girlfriend into Dragonball

Post by Kaboom » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:41 pm

I opted for the lazy route — a girlfriend who already liked the series. 8)
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:44 pm

I got my girlfriend into it watching Dragon Ball Kai in English. After the Cell Game, she read the first 16 volumes of the tankobon, followed by the Majin Buu arc. I was able to guide the process and introduce the movies/specials alongside the entire time, along with correcting translation inaccuracies and calling out leftover filler. I've been a fan for 15 years, she's been for 3 months, and we're both eagerly awaiting Battle of Gods.

xXInfinite026Xx
Beyond Newbie

Post by xXInfinite026Xx » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:08 am

Kaboom wrote:I opted for the lazy route — a girlfriend who already liked the series. 8)
Same. :lol:

Although in my case, she fell off the Majin Boo arc during the Toonami runs, so she isn't as familiar with the later episodes of the series. She also doesn't remember most of Dragon Ball all that much either so I'm hoping to go back and watch it with her via the blue bricks. However, she was enticed with my claims of Kai being a more accurate english dub than Z was, so we've been sailing through those sets lately.

We've already gotten through 6 episodes of part 5 now, and she didn't notice the switch in music (aside from the dvd menu 8) ) Guess the transition is only noticeable to those of us who really dig deeper into the series and not just watching to follow the story I suppose.
My YouTube Channel!
Payne222 wrote:The most overrated character in Dragon Ball is Sasuke. I mean, he can't even go Bankai. How's he gonna be King of the Pirates if he sucks that bad?

shonenhikada
Banned

Post by shonenhikada » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:40 am

mister yummy wrote:Faced with the prospect of being at my girlfreind's house for sveral days with no TV, I brought along my PS2 and some DVD's to see if she and I could find something good to watch together. I brought lots of anime, and asked about each one. She didn't like any of them. i had Cardcaptor Sakura, Naruto, Excel Saga(she kinda liked this), Vandread, Taruto, and of course Dragonball. Each title she said she didn't like. When i asked her why she didn't like Dragonball, she said she'd never really seen it. So, I popped the DVD in, Blue Brick disc 1, and she really got into it! Afterwards, she told me she had thought Dragonball was like Pokémon, but with Dragons. She loved how funny it is, and all the fighting. She identified with Bulma and Lunch, and thinks Goku is so cute!

So, fast forward a while, and we've cleared the blue box, and the first 5 Saga Sets. We're in the middle of Fortune Teller Baba, and she's enthralled. She even watched some Dragonball Kai, and said "I saw Goku's son! He's so cute!

First make her watch Sailor moon, then transition into powerpuff girls, then Dragon Ball part 1, then dragon Ball Z.

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:27 am

I used Kai to get my fiance into Dragon Ball and she really loves it. In order to get her into Kai, I had to agree to watch one of her favorite shows; Teen Wolf. Piccolo is her favorite character. I decided to use Kai because of the more "adult" language and the abbreviated nature of it. I didn't think she would stay even remotely interested in Dragon Ball, through DBZ, through DBGT especially with all the filler in between. She caught an episode of the censored Kai on TV and decided it really annoyed her to hear the characters say "Darn!" when they were mad, which pretty much set it in stone that I'll never get her to watch the original series. Japanese isn't an option. She and I both hate reading subtitles when we don't have to.

Despite Kai ending early (for now), she was satisfied and she felt that the show was complete. I haven't told her about the Kai Buu Saga yet. I figured I'd wait and see if it actually comes out.
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:29 pm

Travis Touchdown wrote:I used Kai to get my fiance into Dragon Ball and she really loves it. In order to get her into Kai, I had to agree to watch one of her favorite shows; Teen Wolf. Piccolo is her favorite character. I decided to use Kai because of the more "adult" language and the abbreviated nature of it. I didn't think she would stay even remotely interested in Dragon Ball, through DBZ, through DBGT especially with all the filler in between. She caught an episode of the censored Kai on TV and decided it really annoyed her to hear the characters say "Darn!" when they were mad, which pretty much set it in stone that I'll never get her to watch the original series. Japanese isn't an option. She and I both hate reading subtitles when we don't have to.

Despite Kai ending early (for now), she was satisfied and she felt that the show was complete. I haven't told her about the Kai Buu Saga yet. I figured I'd wait and see if it actually comes out.
It's too bad you aren't willing to consider subtitles, but the Kai version of the show as dubbed by FUNImation is a really solid product so you definitely chose a good release. It really is a great way to get new people into the series.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:06 pm

Well, I have been a fan of DB since I was 11. I believe my boyfriend did also started watching it at that age too.

Last year we re-watched the whole series and the movies. He doesn't want spoilers of the movie, though. I understand.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

Smochi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Smochi » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:22 pm

shonenhikada wrote:
mister yummy wrote:Faced with the prospect of being at my girlfreind's house for sveral days with no TV, I brought along my PS2 and some DVD's to see if she and I could find something good to watch together. I brought lots of anime, and asked about each one. She didn't like any of them. i had Cardcaptor Sakura, Naruto, Excel Saga(she kinda liked this), Vandread, Taruto, and of course Dragonball. Each title she said she didn't like. When i asked her why she didn't like Dragonball, she said she'd never really seen it. So, I popped the DVD in, Blue Brick disc 1, and she really got into it! Afterwards, she told me she had thought Dragonball was like Pokémon, but with Dragons. She loved how funny it is, and all the fighting. She identified with Bulma and Lunch, and thinks Goku is so cute!

First make her watch Sailor moon, then transition into powerpuff girls, then Dragon Ball part 1, then dragon Ball Z.
What about Powerpuff Girls Z? :D