False Dragon Ball Rumors You Actually Believed

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scarz
I Live Here

False Dragon Ball Rumors You Actually Believed

Post by Scarz » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:28 am

In honor of the day of fools, I've decided to start a topic asking everyone if there was any false DB rumor you actually believed at one point?

Back in the day, I was one of those gullible teenagers who believed that AF was real. Even if it was just for a brief moment.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: False Dragon Ball Rumors You Actually Believed

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:00 pm

I thought AF was real for a day back in 2003 when I was 12, but I end up finding out the series was fake. I still remember the AF April Fools joke that this site pull off years ago. Hard to believe it been nearly 10 years since that prank happen.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:02 pm

Insert my standard story of Young Mike believing that a later DBZ movie had Broli collecting the Dragon Balls and wishing Nappa & Raditz back to fight Goku.

'Cuz that makes total sense, of course.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:23 pm

I truly believed I could unlock SSJ4Gogeta in Budokai 1 for the PS2 back in the day. I can't tell you how many times I beat tournament mode on super hard mode with Mr. Satan.
My Dragon Ball AMV's:
Pain into Power - Gohan Tribute - Best Character Profile at AnimeNext
The Dragon Ball Life - Original DB only AMV - Coordinators Choice at Anime Conji
When I See You Again [NEW!!!] - Goku & Krillin AMV - Best Drama at Otakon

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:34 pm

I mentioned this before in another thread but

In budokai 2 I believed if you turn the circle stick as fast as possible (forcing the meter on screen to go to the opposing side) on your enemies Ultimate attack, you could send the Ultimate attack right back at them. I get budokai 2 later for PS2 and my childhood wonder dies as it ain't true.

From the opening Budokai 3 cutscene I believed there was a movie with Broly fighting Gogeta. (not exactly a rumor)
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:45 pm

Back in 3rd grade Goku and Vegeta were cousins.... because King Vegeta and Bardock were brothers. Well.....NO.

Also after you turn Super Saiyan you turn SUper Saiya-JIN. No one back then knew DBZ came from japan and seeing Super Saiya-jin online, BLEW OUR 3RD GRADE MINDS.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:48 pm

I believe in a lot of fan rumors of GT before it came out in the US. As a kid, I wanted to see GT so bad that I end up finding a bootleg copy that a friend of mine had. Rumors had stuff like that GT was going to be more darker and violent then GT that it will be on Adult Swim instead. GT was going to have sex scenes with Trunks and Pan. This was in 2001, I was just becoming a fan at the time.
She/Her

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:05 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:GT was going to have sex scenes with Trunks and Pan.
That would've caused a lot of problems, eh? :)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:14 pm

The first English subs that I saw were the anime lab subs which had mindless cursing. As a kid, it won't surprise me at the time if GT was darker. Like a year or two later, I found I was wrong and GT was more lighter then the any of the Dragon Ball shows.
She/Her

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:46 pm

AF - it was such a wonderful dream :) and it had images that made you believe (the Tablos/SSJ5 Goku picture, the studio Tomita SSJ4 Gohan and some recolors of artwork I have not seen previously [not having internet access at home did not make things easier]). Maybe that's why I love Toyble's AF so much - it's the exact thing I was waiting for back in 6th grade (polish 6th grade, so I was 13 then).

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:18 pm

There was the longest time where I believed SSJ 4 Goku could be unlocked in the first Budokai game due to a false cheat on GameFAQs. But when it was taken down, I realized how fake it really was.
You must have faith in who you are.

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:21 pm

dragondyle wrote:There was the longest time where I believed SSJ 4 Goku could be unlocked in the first Budokai game due to a false cheat on GameFAQs. But when it was taken down, I realized how fake it really was.
It's okay, I know your pain. :(

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:40 pm

There was the Golden Oozaru rumor in Budokai 3. People thought it was real for like a day until the person who admit it that he created it. I remember it was on a site called "Dragnet" or something similar to that.
She/Her

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:14 pm

I don't know that I have anything more disturbing than Trunks and Pan, but a 12-year-old me fully believed a rumor that said there was an entire episode of DBZ, cut from the TV broadcast, that was devoted to depicting the, erm...conception....of Trunks.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:33 pm

Only one that comes to mind is being told you could unlock the Super Saiyan transformation in the first Legacy of Goku game once you reached level 10. I still remember rushing home after school, spending hours grinding to level 10 against wolves and that one big dinosaur (this is before the Raditz fight) and being devastated after reaching level 10 and nothing happening. On the bright side my intense training did allow me to bitch slap Raditz to the next dimension which was a nice consolation.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:59 pm

I've believed no such rumors, and I defy you to find any proof of that.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:38 pm

I believed that of the 3 Broli movies, the third was where Broli crawled out of Hell and Goku and Vegeta fused into Gogeta to stop him. I also believed (much earlier than that, before I saw Broli) that he was a swordsman because a friend told me that.

I also believed AF was real, and it would have swearing, gore and sex all around. :lol:
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:47 pm

Somebody told me that VegettoEX was Akira Toriyama himself about 4 years ago...

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:05 pm

A friend told me that Cooler was playable in Budokai 2. I spent weeks trying to unlock him and, of course, he wasn't. Damn! Had to wait until Budokai 3 to get my favorite movie character.

I used to think that Broly Second Coming featured him breaking out of hell with the other villains. My friend who told me that got it confused with Fusion Reborn.

I used to believe that Janemba was some weird new form of Buu.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:08 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:A friend told me that Cooler was playable in Budokai 2. I spent weeks trying to unlock him and, of course, he wasn't. Damn! Had to wait until Budokai 3 to get my favorite movie character.
Isn't he playable in the Japanese version of DBZ 2. Or is he just a costume.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!