Are the Italian box sets good for uncut and Japanese fans?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Famicon3DS
Not-So-Newbie

Are the Italian box sets good for uncut and Japanese fans?

Post by Famicon3DS » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:46 am

As the Dragon Boxes are out of print, I was wanting to get the uncut series in a decent quality (no orange bricks), And I saw the Italian DVDS, could somebody tell me about the quality and if it's uncut? Do the German DVDs have the Japanese Audio and are uncut?

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Re: Are the Italian box sets good for uncut and Japanese fan

Post by GotenDaisuki » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:30 pm

If memory serves me correctly, the quality for Italian Dragon Ball Z DVDs are decent and in 4:3, but the film is very dirty and there are tape marks literally every screen change. Those were the ones I had, anyway. I don't remember if they were dual-audio, however.
So mondo lame.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:33 pm

I don't know about the Italian DVDs, but if you want Japanese and uncut, then you definitely don't want the German DVDs. Germany has released the entirety of DBZ on DVD, but it's the edited, German dub only version. Worse yet, the video source they use is nearly 20 years old, the very same video masters they aired on German television. I forget which company was directly responsible for the DVD release, but they said that they did consider getting the uncut footage and the Japanese audio, and that they didn't because it would have been cost-prohibitive (unless they charged a boat load of money for the box sets to make up for it).

Germany never had an uncut dub of DBZ because they received the pre-edited footage that was used for the French dub for the purposes of dubbing the show into German. So, in order to get the uncut footage, they'd need to go through either the AB Groupe or Toei, and like I said earlier, they ultimately deemed that too expensive.

If you want to go for a European release and are primarily interested in uncut footage with the Japanese audio, then go with the French box sets. Exceptionally well-done remastering, in 4:3, uncut, and with dual-audio options. An uncut French dub was never produced, so for the French audio track, whenever a scene airs that was originally censored in the French dub, the audio temporarily switches over to the Japanese audio track with French subs. However, since you just wanted the Japanese audio (which is an option on those DVDs), that shouldn't be a problem.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:58 pm

How about the Spain DVD sets? They got a few re-releases over the years, too, so aren't they pretty cheap? How would you compare the Spain and France DVDs? I always thought Spain's were pretty good adjustments of the Dragon Box releases, and you get the added bonus of a ton of dub curiosities.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:01 pm

Yes, that is true. The Spain releases are even called "Dragon Boxes", and although they contain a bunch of poorly-done dubs, the uncut Japanese dub is in fact present, and a close-to-Dragon Box remaster is there as well. Although, they are pretty hard to find nowadays, since they are out of print.
So mondo lame.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:25 pm

The Spanish "Dragon Box" volumes do have Japanese audio, but no NEPs which Rukura said and the video was cleaned for their own remaster.

http://www.zonadvd.com/modules.php?name ... &sid=17305

JP & US Dragon Boxes Z are better than the Spanish ones anyway.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Famicon3DS
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Famicon3DS » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:56 pm

Thanks for the advice, I have the first US Dragon Box and want the Namek episodes (43-65) and was looking at these DVDs in particular.

The descriptions on the listings say it has Japanese (in italian obviously)

I would also like the NEPS and Japanese Title Cards, somebody had a thread about these DVDs and showed that they had NEPS. I just want clarification.

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:45 pm

Famicon3DS wrote:Thanks for the advice, I have the first US Dragon Box and want the Namek episodes (43-65) and was looking at these DVDs in particular.

http://i.ebayimg.com/20/!B7-7qR!!mk~$(KGrHqR,!h4EzL(s1ibjBM1wZ70ncg~~0_35.JPG

The descriptions on the listings say it has Japanese (in italian obviously)

I would also like the NEPS and Japanese Title Cards, somebody had a thread about these DVDs and showed that they had NEPS. I just want clarification.
They do, IF I remember correctly. The video quality is okay. Much better than the old Italian DVDs, but no Dragon Box.

Famicon3DS
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Famicon3DS » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:15 pm

Do these French DVDs have Japanese audio?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:35 am

Famicon3DS wrote:Do these French DVDs have Japanese audio?

Nope.

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:48 am

Coming from a genuine italian, i assure you they are not worth it.
Italian DVDs are usually really dirty and full of grain.
I would not assume they are that good since even the quality of the episodes that are aired on italian TV is barely average. :thumbdown: